“It is true what other reviewers have poited out”
Review of The Fairview

The Fairview
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Stayed here last week, and must say it is a really lively hotel except I have to agree with other revierwers noise is a problem and of course the owner/manager is inded very ride.
Paid more than what we initially bargained for so again it is true what others have pointed out, the manager/owner is not genuine but just out for your euro.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,513)

Reviewed 27 July 2009

We were travelling around Ireland going from Hotel to Hotel. We decided to play Kilalrney by ear and pick a place when we got there. The Fairview was located right off the city centre, it looked a bit pricey but we decided to stick our nose in and check it out. It looked very nice, but there was a sign that said "Quiet time 8Pm to 8AM" We were a group of 4 and told the manager this probably wasnt the place for us. He insisted "Oh its not a monastery. Just dont be kicking the other doors when you come in" We exaplined we'd likely come back from the pub and hang out. Not a problem we were assured.

Well sure enough we get back that night and had a radio playing at background levels and were all hanging out in the room. We get a phone call, we're too loud. We turn off the music and figure no problem. Another call. We try to lower the noise level. Yet another call. At this point short of wispering we cant do anything. We end up dispersing, and about 15 mintues later while we are asleep in the room the manager comes into the room unannounced accompanied by the Guardia and tries to have us removed from the hotel.

We explain to the Guardia exactly what we were told, the manager and one of the police go next door to the talk to the neighbor that had complained. We talk more with the other police officer who frankly found the whole situation rediculous. The manager comes back and brow beats us some more, and claims to have heard our entire conversation with the other police officer while in the next room. Which pretty much illustrated our point that the walls must have been rediculously thin as we were no louder than conversational levels. The guardia dont let him thow us out.

We were then accosted again in the morning when the manager insisted we apologize to the nieghbor, which we politely informed him that if anyone should be apoligizing for the unfortunate situation, it should be him. We were called "the worst element he has seen in 15 years of running the hotel" He then wanted to charge us more because we had a guest in the room for some time the night before. We refused he'd said he'd report we ran out on the charge to the police. We asked him to call the police again, certain they would again not support him. He told us he'd do it after his breakfast and to get out.

Kilalrney is a wonderful town, if you are looking for a place that you can have any sort of conversation at night, steer clear of this nice hotel with its greedy psychotic owner.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank U2Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I've been to the Fairview twice. As with most travel in Ireland, expect to spend close to 50% more than you're quoted. Also, "Free Overnight Parking" or ANY kind of parking promise, even in Killarney, should be taken with a grain of salt. There is no such thing as free parking in Killarney. Now, the Fairview's rooms are beautiful to look at, modern, and clean. I've had the misfortune of staying in the room next to the kitchen, which is on the main floor, end of the hall. There will be kitchen noise all night, so bring earplugs or an iPod. Despite it being an apparent "gouge" to move up to Executive, I recommend doing so. The first floor is noisy. Killarney is a noisy town at night, so if you're a light sleeper, you should rent a cottage in Caherdaniel. People coming back drunk at 2am in Killarney is NOT much of a stretch. I don't like dining in restaurants alone, so I didn't try the food. Very nice dining room, however, and the serving staff seemed very pleasant, smiling as you walk past them. I'm in my 30's, but look younger, and I was not treated like I was there to party. Perhaps it was because I was there for a second time, or the fact I paid with a platinum card, who knows. Now, to the issue of James. I grew up toiling politely in the service industry, so no, I have no sympathy for those who cannot muster an attempt at being pleasant; however, James' phone (the 'house phone' at his hip) NEVER stopped ringing. I can assume this is the case from 5am until midnight, possibly later. As the proprietor, I can assume the man hasn't had a holiday in a decade. He is gruff, he isn't a beaming smile as you walk in the door. You will feel rushed, somewhat shoved into your respective room by an obviously stressed, overworked man who's good humor must have expired long ago. I got a few minutes between phone rings to chat a bit with him, and got to know him a bit. He's a great fellow. If I were his business partner, I'd insist he hire someone to play greeter while he deals with the phone. The rates they charge for the rooms must provide him with enough comfort to handle this. Good lord, knock off a star if you have to, just get someone pleasant running on a full night's sleep to be the face of your establishment. That's all it is with James, he's just stressed out, tired. I could tell. Perhaps they can't afford someone to wrangle the never-ending stream of requests, complaints, calls; perhaps they just don't want to. It's obviously a point of concern for a great many reviews here. I would stay at the Fairview again. All the rooms seem impeccable, but you may get a lousy view (I got an alley once, the kitchen's alley the second time), you may get a noisy room (ground floor is cheaper for a reason), you may not get Mr Sunshine at the front desk. I found the rooms to be that much nicer and cleaner, the location that much better, the freedom to come/go all night without ringing someone to let you in, all worth it. I noticed a WiFi named after the Fairview, but a very weak signal so I didn't bother. Irish WiFi is 20 Euro every time you log on, I never advise internet unless you have to. I used this place as a "home base" while I drove the Ring of Kerry and walked the spotless streets of Killarney. It's a beautiful town. Other reviewers are right, you want to get to your car early to buy a ticket for the day (except Sunday), as the "free parking" is only from 5pm - 8am. I don't think the beauty of the Fairview will be diminished that much by a surly attitude at the front desk, unless you're really sensitive.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank JimSycamore
Reviewed 1 July 2009

The hotel was wonderful - modern, clean and very nice people. Great location - right in city center -walk to shops and restaurants - fabulous breakfast and dinner. We will definitely stay there again when were in Killarney.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Fairview "Guest House" is one of the two best hotels (out of many) I have stayed at, in Ireland and considerably the cheaper. Right in the centre of Killarney, excellent food, beautifully equipped rooms, some with jacuzzi baths at only Euro10 a night extra. The breakfast is excellent, including fish, an unusual option in Ireland but a welcome note to a Scot. Wifi is available, as well, for a slight charge. When I bring tours to Ireland, I always try to make Killarney a destination in my itineraries and Fairview is always where I choose for my guests and most especially, FOR ME!.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Rooms top class.
Restaurant food excellent, but expensive.
Only downfall but a big one was the gentleman at the front desk who just seemed to want to grab your credit card and for you to go.
Would come back again and give the place top marks if that man could be fired!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We were a late arrival and directed here by the Tourist Office. Lovely place to stay-we were quoted 45 Euros per person for a standard room but were talked into the Executive suite with jacuzzi for 50 Euros each. This also included the full Irish breakfast . The room was large with full tea and coffee making facilities and ice bucket. The bathroom with jacuzzi was a great experiece-it'll soon sort out any aches and pains. Location is fine -plenty of shops and pubs within a stone's throw. No parking but there is a public card park 2 minutes up the road wih low charges.
We did eat in the restaurant but their interpretation of a 4 course meal is not mine-the 4th course was tea or coffee !!! Still the food was fine.
I am mindful to say that Ireland is very expensive-we went last year and all B&Bs seemed to be 35 Euros a piece now everything is 45 Euros each and eating out is very expensive too.
Staff in the hotel were very pleasant and there was an abundance of tourist information-leaflets, brochures etc available.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple