“No Irish Love; No Ambiance”

Algret House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 143 Killarney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband, myself and our daughter stayed at Alget house for one night recently while we were touring Ireland on holiday. While the house was spotlessly clean, there was no personal warmth at this B & B. The location is not really in easy walking distance of town center but the fringes of town. We had requested a twin room and a double room. The beds were hard and not level, the pillows flat and like rocks, plus in the twin room we were expecting to have two beds side by side. However, the beds were separated by a dividing wall; we felt rather isolated from each other and only one bed had a view of the TV. Plus, one bed was a double and the other 'twin' bed was a child's bed for second bed when a twin room was requested. This room was a family room - not a twin room. The shower water temperature fluctuated dreadfully and the rooms are not soundproof as noise can be heard through the walls - I heard the neighbor snoring most of the night. At breakfast, nothing was homemade but the scones. The jam is in a convenience container, the maple syrup was corn syrup with maple flavor, boxed juice and slow coffee service. On the plus side, the bacon was very good, the rooms were clean and credit cards are accepted. There was no real personality to the place and I find it difficult to understand the quality of the reviews I read on this site when one compares the ambiance and warmth experienced in all the other B & B's we visited in Ireland. Sorry, but it was definitely not for us.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank cpg9
Greta D, Owner at Algret House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

In response to the various issues raised in your negative review :
Location : I have always clearly stated in all our advertising material that our B&B is a 5/6 minute walk from town centre situated in a very quiet residential area but as one of your family had a mobility problem then our location would not be suitable for you.
Layout of room : Easily remedied as when I personally showed you to your twin room , you could have voiced your dissatisfaction with same and I would have changed you to another twin room with both beds side by side as we not busy on that night , I am totally puzzled by your" snoring neighbour " comment as both rooms on either side of your room were vacant on that night April 16th and no rooms overhead.
Breakfast Issues: All our breakfasts are cooked to order, scones & waffles are home made but not our jams , unfortunately I have not yet found the time to master the art of jam - making .
We do not have self - service coffee in our dining room as we prefer to freshly brew our coffee in the kitchen and serve in a cafetiere brought to your table hence your reference " slow coffee service ". Sadly our maple syrup did not live up to your high expectations , pure maple syrup is not always available here and is very highly priced.
Lack of warmth and no" Irish Love " : This is a first for me as I personally deal with all my guests on arrival, at breakfast, and on departure and it is the first time in my 21 years of running a B&B and being accused of having no personal warmth. However I am confident and hopeful that any future guests will not be swayed by your negative reference to the quality of my
previous reviews.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

During a roundtrip through ireland we stayed a night in the Algret House. Everything was wonderful ! The house and the rooms are very clean, excellent new bathroom. Greta offered a wonderful breakfast, it was delightful. Algret House is situated only a short walk from the city-center. For sure we will return on our next trip in 2016 !

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Halligallikrappen
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This B&B is fantastic! Greta was the nicest innkeeper we have met on three diffrent trips and this was the best b&b in terms of location, service and comfort. The rooms are much better than our other stays around Ireland. The location was close enough to walk to town and enjoy the evening! Private rooms, clean and spacious, beds were comfortable. It was a quiet place and Greta had great recommendations for places to go! It is great for family we had two rooms one for my mom and I and one for my daughter and nieces. Very nice set up and a great breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The hostess, Greta was very nice and we were made to feel quite welcome. The rooms were clean and charming and the breakfast was very good.
The location is just a 5-10 minute walk from a central part of town with great shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Such a lovely B&B and Greta is so warm and welcoming. Great location within walking distance to town .Rooms are beautiful and homely, and our bed was so cosy. Breakfast was really nice and Greta made sure we all had enough to eat and I thought it was a lovely personal touch to chat with all of her guests in the morning. Great value considering the care and attention we got, we are so grateful that we found this place.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This B&B was so excellent, the best imaginable.
My husband and I with our adult son had an excellent stay for three nights at Algret House. Both our rooms were very clean and welcoming. The kettle and supplies for a hot drink were great! The small bathrooms were well designed with convenient shelves and hooks for towels. We had everything to feel very comfortable.
We used and appreciated the bar fridge available for us downstairs as well as the sitting area. WiFi worked well. Al cooked us the most delicious fresh breakfast from a wide choice on the menu and we also had fruit, yogurt, cereal, home-baked scones and excellent coffee, thank you Greta and Al!
The proximity of a five minute walk from downtown Killarney was convenient.
Greta made us feel very welcome and gave well-informed tourist advice. We wholeheartedly recommend Algret House B&B and will return in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fargle
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Well as everyone says, location was good, room was cozy and spotless, and breakfast was generous. One thing - the soundproofing was poor - I could hear the noise from next room / upstairs. Other than that it was a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends