“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Ireland
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Enjoyed drinks and afternoon tea at this luxurious hotel and special treatment by Nicole who attended to our every need. An order went astray and she immediately sorted it out when I brought it to her attention . To compensate for the mix up she did'.nt charge for the tea. A lovely gesture and encouragement to visit there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Just back from a two night stay in the Malton Hotel in Killarney and I had an amazing time!
Hotel itself is just outside the centre of town but a very short walking distance in. Myself and my partner were celebrating both our birthdays during our stay, which he had mentioned to the staff on making the reservation. When we arrived and were checking in we were both wished a happy birthday which was a nice touch, and, the receptionist also told us we had been upgraded to a suite! The suite we were given was beautiful, very spacious with long windows(overlooking the balcony at the main entrance) and everywhere was very clean. We ate in the restaurant on both nights of our stay and the saff and food were wonderful. On our last night we were brought out our dessert with Happy Birthday written in choclate on the plates, this was very unexpected and a wonderful touch. We also drank in the Punchbowl bar where again the staff were very attentive and there is a very relaxing atmosphere with the sofas and open fires.
Staff are amazing in this hotel and really go above and beyond. Would definatley recommend this hotel as one of Killarneys gems!

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 22 November 2011

From the moment we arrived and met the receptionist,the friendliness of the staff the luxury of the room the quality of the food and of course the location the malton has it all, well done on a great overall package ,it was our second time staying,and we are already looking forward to going back. We have also called in to eat at the bar on many other occasions when in Killarney and always found it a good expierence, keep up the good work well done!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Junior suite it is well worth it.
lIMERICK
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Had a wonderful one night stay in the Malton, Killarney. Beautiful hotel but the most impressive aspect was the staff. Despite working such long hours, they were all extremely happy, helpful and charming, especially Laurence in the bar. He is a huge asset to the staff and just has it.

Room Tip: We were overlooking the gardens on the 4th floor. The lift was a bit of a walk particularly for eld...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We are just back from a one night stay in The Malton, my reminder to do my review on Tripadvisor was in a lovely well presented chocolate gift box that we received on checking out. It was our first time staying in this hotel and we will definitely be going back, I'm already planning a weekend in January again for my husband's birthday. We just had a standard room but it was lovely, very comfy duvet and lovely toiletries provided in the bathroom. We had our food in the bar of the hotel, (The Punchbowl), we were lucky to get seats as there are not that many there but it was a lovely,cosy atmosphere, we had seats across from the fire. Breakfast the following morning was well organised and everything we required was there. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: As I said the standard room was lovely and spacious but I'd pay the extra few euro the next time...
1 Thank meady80
Ireland
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We stayed at the Malton for a wedding. Our first impression was of the room. If this is what a 5 Star room is supposed to look like, then DON'T stay here - what a disappointment!!! Plain, drab, no color, no warmth of any kind. Small bathroom with a dirty shower curtain and an old bathtub. The suites might be nice, but the basic room was not even close to many 2-Star hotels we've stayed in. TWICE the maid knocked on the door BEFORE 10am and even opened the door on one occasion! We were still in bed as the wedding went on until the wee hours of the morning. Unfortunately, breakfast was a disappointment for me; I have yet to understand this type of mentality but why does no one want to serve a single female? As an American, I'm used to tipping well, and yet, we're STILL discriminated against. But in Ireland where tips are generally not required, the stigma still remains and it was no exception at The Malton. I sat there while a couple on one side of me and a single gentleman on the other side of me were served BEFORE me! I would never stay at the Malton again nor would I ever recommend it. There are much lovelier places to stay; one being the Killarney Avenue Hotel where you're treated with dignity and respect and with much much nicer accommodations.

Room Tip: Perhaps a suite would be best.
1 Thank nancy7711
Maltonsales, General Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Firstly my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. The Malton is a four star hotel, a lot of our guests think the hotel has a five star rating it is a great compliment for us and I think the fact that the property is a beautiful historic building dating back to 1854 with friendly service and dedicated staff people get this impression.

In relation to your comments about our staff I sincerely apologise for the interruption by our housekeeping staff, it is something that should not happen but thank you for bringing this to our attention. We certainly do not have discriminatory policy in place in The Malton and we are an equal opportunities employer. I am looking into your specific comments with regard the restaurant to ensure this incident was a one off. I have included my contact details at the end of this email and if you would like to discuss the issues any further please do not hesitate to contact me, but in the meantime please be assured your comments will be taken on board.

Conor Hennigan

Tel: + 353 64 6638000

Email: chennigan@themalton.com
Cork
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Wanting to make a special trip for my 30th Birthday, my partner and I spent a lot of time choosing where we could stay and eventually decided on the Malton and I'm pleased we did. The rooms are immaculate and spacious. We stayed in the Junior Suite. The service is good and friendly if a little slow at times and the food is amazing.

My partner cant recommend the Chowder highly enough. The portion sizes from both the restaurant and the bar are generous and delicious. Praises to the chef and his staff.

Location wise, its perfect. Set right in the heart of the town and yet just out of reach of any noise at night. We're staying here for two nights, and will sadly be leaving tomorrow but I've no doubt tonight will be just as enjoyable as the last.

It seemed to us ( we're a young couple) that the majority of guests here are of the older generation but we see that as a plus. No noisy children and a calm atmosphere. We even took time to relax in the lounge areas which we'd avoid in other hotels.

The only down side is that there is no wi-fi in the rooms, only in the public areas.

I'd definately recommend it to anyone.