“Perfect location, top class hotel”
Review of The Malton Hotel

The Malton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect location, top class hotel”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

stayed here patricks weekend with my fiance, hotel is situated in the town, very close to all amenities and Killarney national park, staff very welcoming and friendly, hotel room we stayed in was fabulous, bed was very comfortable, food in the restaurant was of top quality and breakfast was varied and of very good quality also, spa and leisure area very clean and pleasant , will definitely return on my next return to Killarney.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Hi Caroline, Thanks for taking the time to comment on The Malton. I'm delighted you & your fiance enjoyed your stay with us on St.Patricks weekend. The Malton Hotel won best hotel restaurant in Munster recently so we really appreciate this type of feedback from our customers. Again many thanks & hope to welcome you back again in the near future. Best Regards, Jennifer Egan, Marketing dept.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Polish first
Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Where to start? Great central location, beautiful rooms and setting with a traditional Irish bar. The staff could not be more thoughtful. We mentioned an interest in golf and before you knew it the concierge(Bjorn) and our waiter (Laurence) had set up a tee time,taxi and got us clubs. The entire staff are among the most helpful I have ever seen. They look for way to ensure you have a perfect stay. It's not an act they genuinely are looking for ways to improve your stay. The food in the bar is better than most restaurants. The breakfast (included) has the full Irish fare and a menu of great freshly prepared hot food with a cold buffet of pastries,smoked salmon,trout and mackerel and a variety of cheeses,meats and freshly made breads. Should I return to Killarney I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Bob, Thank you for kind words about our hotel & staff, we take great pride in our people at The Malton & delighted you experienced this & enjoyed playing a game of golf in Killarney. We do hope to welcome you back here again soon so keep on eye on our facebook page & website for future special offers. Many thanks again for your comments, Best Regards, Jennifer Egan, Marketing Dept
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2013

After seeing the reviews on here for this hotel I was so excited to stay here. I was completely and utterly disappointed in our room and its amenities. When we first checked in it was about 6pm, having driven all day it was the earliest we could arrive. Reception was warm and friendly and the lobby had a decent blend of old and modern decor. When we got to the room we could not believe how hot it was. The room was directly in the sun with no windows open and no shades available save for some heavy tapestry-like drapes that had been left open. The room had to have been baking in the sun for several hours. As expected in an older hotel there was no A/C but I was completely shocked to find that there was no ceiling fan. The room was hot, with no shades and no fan. We immediately called down and asked for a different room. Lesson learned, we should have stayed with the hot room. They moved us from a fancier "double room" to a triple occupancy room that looked like it belonged in a hostel. Again, no ceiling fan, not even an oscillating fan. The room was incredibly tired, worn and looked like it needed an incredible face lift. The bathroom also needed a good, hard scrubbing with bleach. I keep seeing how people say this place has been "renovated", well they must have only done the larger rooms.

We ate in the bar room once. The food was pretty good (a steak sandwich for myself and seafood chowder for my mom). We also ate breakfast in the main room twice. The selection was standard and served it's purpose. However, the utensils and cups looked as though they hadn't seen a dishwasher in weeks. Twice I found lipstick on my coffee cup as soon as I sat down (a glaring red the first day and a pink the next... definitely colors that should stand out to anyone). The sugar bowls had spoons that looked as though they had been used to stir tea and then put back (sugar clung to them and looked incredibly old).

For a 4 star hotel I feel incredibly let down. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone traveling to Killarney as I'm sure there are better accommodations for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Come ready to sleep in the nude if your room ever gets any direct sunlight.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear Katherine,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor, we are very disappointed to read about your experience at The Malton during your vacation.

I have spoken to my colleagues in the Garden Room Restaurant and the Accommodation department and highlighted your comments to them. I would like to apologise for the poor standard in the dinning room at breakfast and we will ensure this drop in standard is not repeated in the future as it is not acceptable.

I feel you should have been offered a similar room category when you moved room but maybe this was not possible if the hotel was fully booked that evening, but apologise for not ensuring that everything was to your satisfaction since you were very disappointed with the alternative room. We have 171 bedrooms in the hotel and a refurbishment programme is in place since last year with more work to be carried out later in 2013 and 2014

We value all our guest comments as this helps us to operate our business at a higher standard, and we are disappointed to read when some customers do not experience the true Malton experience. I do hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves in the future and I have attached my details below for you to contact me directly if you are visiting Killarney again in the future.

Best Regards,
Paul O'Sullivan
Deputy General Manager
00 353 64 6638011
posullivan@themalton.com
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband and I have just returned after enjoying a short memorable break in the Malton. The hotel itself is old world charm with all the modern comforts. The staff are very friendly and every effort was made by the staff to make our stay memorable. My husband was celebrating his birthday the reception staff greeted him with birthday wishes and a present and birthday card was left in the room on our arrival most impressive. The dinner and breakfast was really good the best Irish breakfast I have ever eaten in any hotel in Ireland. I asked the most helpful floor manager at dinner would it be possible to have the table overlooking the beautiful gardens and he was most accommodating and charming and each sitting we were given a table overlooking the gardens. The waitresses were all wonderfully charming and our stay was memorable and we will return soon again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Knoxville
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Beautiful décor and artwork. Helpful and attentive staff. Great breakfast with excellent service. We had dinner here also for two nights. Good meals with friendly waiter in the bar. Convenient, free parking. Walk into town for shops and pubs. Convenient to Ring of Kerry.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The Malton was like stepping back into past grandeur. The hotel is beautiful; gorgeous fixtures and furnishings; excellent food and beautiful surroundings. Made to order hot breakfast along with the buffet; servers were excellent (especially Margaret). Our room was small but clean and comfortable. I took pictures of the bathroom sink so I can get one like it for home, I have never seen one like it and didn't want to forget it. Our concierge was charming, respectful and funny; gave us great advice and didn't steer us wrong - the real deal. The spa was wonderful, especially Rose - she is a gem! Reading room is charming. No A/C and although it was warm outside was never uncomfortable. We will return again - can't wait! Thanks for the hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy M
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write such great comments on our hotel & staff, we really appreciate it. The hotel will be celebrating its 160 year anniversary next year (opened in 1854!) so we are all looking forward to the celebrations. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future. Best Regards, Jennifer Egan, Marketing dept
roscommon
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Just had a 2 day stay in the malton. 10th anniversary. got a card in the room. thought there might be something else i.e some chocolates. Room was only average, food was good, breakfast was O.K. For the money we left in it for 2 nights left a lot to be desired !! wouldn't be in any hurry back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
MaltonManagement, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor, all guest experiences both positive and negative will always help us to meet and surpass guests expectation. I am disappointed that I did not get an opportunity to meet with you both during your stay as I would have liked to discuss your experience at the Malton hotel. I would like to discuss these items further if you have the opportunity to contact me directly as your stay was a very special occasion and we too are disappointed that you both did not enjoy the whole experience.
Regards,