“A Bit of a Let Down”

Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Dublin, Ireland
“A Bit of a Let Down”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here as part of a honeymoon around the west coast of Ireland. We arrived late on a Sunday evening after a day of driving the Skellig ring and sitting in traffic on our way into Killarney; as it was late when we arrived we could only find parking some distance from the hotel and we struggled through a group of American guests to reach the reception desk. The staff were indifferent (a smile costs nothing!) and we were checked in to our Double Deluxe Room on the third floor. Although it had a great view of the gardens, the room was small and stuffy and looked nothing like the Double Deluxe Room on the hotel website. There was a constant hum from an extractor fan that was across the hall from us and we had to sleep with the window open as the rooms do not have air conditioning (a fan is provided though). After a fairly poor night's sleep we went for breakfast; the selection was excellent and the food was very good but again the service was lacking and we were forgotten about after we were seated. Maybe my review of the hotel is a little harsh considering that there was quite a crowd in town for The Gathering, however, as repeat business is more likely to come from an Irish couple who spent a memorable night of their honeymoon and not a coach-load of tourists from the US, I think the hotel are missing the opportunity to offer a better personal service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
MaltonManagement, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review about your recent stay at the Malton Hotel, we are very disappointed that sections of your stay were not as enjoyable as it should have been. Our hotel will celebrate its 160th Birthday next year therefore we have a variety of bedrooms in the main hotel and from your description it sounds like you were allocated one of these rooms, some people love this part of the hotel because of this but unfortunately you did not and I hope if you visit again you will let us know that you have stayed with us previously so we can rectify this and talk through other room options with you. We have two car parks here at The Malton on both sides of the Hotel and we also offer Valet parking for guests that would like assistance and I hope this was offered to you on arrival. Yes, Killarney and Kerry is having a very successful season with guests increasing from America, Canada and other European countries and a large increase from our very important domestic market. I note your comments regarding breakfast this is not the experience we wish for our guests and I have discussed your comments with our Restaurant Manager. We do value our guests at The Malton and particularly for guests who are marking special occasions like your were on your honeymoon. I do hope we will get the chance to welcome you back in the future, please feel free to contact me directly when you are planning your next visit to Killarney, I would like the opportunity to meet you.
Best Regards,
Paul O'Sullivan
Deputy General Manager
064 6638011
posullivan@themalton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed here last week for one night on business. I've passed the hotel many times by car, it is is a prime central location but yet has a feel of being very remote.
It's an old building but with a modern very grand reception. My only negative was the foreign guy who checked me in. Grumpy jocks.
My room was far from reception and in an older part but had all the fab little touches of a very good 4 star hotel.
The bar for me was the best bit, It has a great atmosphere, great food and service.
I used the pool which was nice.
The parking is free and right next to the hotel.
Breakfast was very very good.
Check out was quick and easy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room her reception.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at The Malton. We were pleasantly surprised with the spaciousness of the room. The staff was great, and breakfast was one of the best of our stay in Ireland. A short walk to the Main Street where we enjoyed a great dinner.

• Stayed September 2013
Dublin
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Malton in January 2013 - we had both stayed there separately on previous occasions (when it had previously been the Great Southern Hotel) so we knew what to expect. Our visit together did not disappoint.

The Malton exudes "Olde Worlde" charm - from the comfortable and cosy salon on the ground floor where you can order delicious sandwiches and food (try their home-made smoothies, they are delicious) and relax on the sofas reading the Sunday papers, to the charming reading room area, also on the ground floor, to the well-stocked bar area serving great bar food, the Malton offers a home away from home in relaxed and comfortable surroundings. Our room overlooked the mountains and the town and it was a beautiful view to wake up to.

Even better was the breakfast - quite simply, the Malton's breakfast is THE BEST we've ever had in any hotel and we have both traveled a lot over the years. The sunshine poured into the room on both mornings and we felt like we were in a grand stately home rather than a hotel, such was the warm atmosphere and friendly service. The selection of food was fantastic and the cooked breakfast was fit for a king. The dining room itself again is olde worlde and they still use the old silver teapots and coffee pots with "GS" engraved on them when they inherited all the Great Southern Hotel crockery and silverware.

I couldn't finish this review without mentioning the fantastic concierge (sorry we didn't get his name but he was South African we think!) - he was unbelievably helpful and suggested some fantastic routes for us to take as we're both keen hikers. Coming back to the turf fire blazing at the end of a cold January day was just lovely. The added bonus of the Malton is its great location - it is literally on the doorstep of the train station so we decided to leave our car at home and took the train (but you cannot hear trains at all from inside). It's also within walking distance of Killarney National Park and the town, the only place we got a taxi to was Muckross House and Gardens but it's not far.

Keep doing what you are doing at the Malton - if only all 4 star hotels were like this one! We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor with a mountain view - we always request rooms at the end of a corridor and a...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happyfriday_Girl
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Travelling a short distance from our hometown Clonakilty to Killarney for a family get together, my partner and I decided to stay in this wonderful hotel. Being honest I've wanted to for a really long time - well it didn't disappoint! Everything was top class, excellent service (staff are fab), lovely rooms, food.... well the list is endless and we're looking for an excuse to return!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zetaleoni
Visalia, California
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I will start with the good. The lobby is absolutely beautiful, with a library, reading room, bar and restaurant. The full breakfast was fantastic. Their towels were luxurious. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Next time I'm in town I will definitely not stay there.
The Bad.
Our room was on the first floor And we had to walk through six fire doors to get there Our room was the last room in the hall between a set of fire doors and a back door that went out to a walking alley. The carpet in the room was badly stained The first night there we had no heat. I had to call the front office at 6:30 AM to ask them to turn on the heat. They said it should've been on but it wasn't so after 10 minutes they did turn it on. We had no control over how much heat we could get. The furniture in the room was very old and run down. There was a closet where the paint was all chipped around it and was locked and we have no idea what was in there. I was afraid to go to sleep at night as fear mice or other insects may come out of this closet. My husband found a huge spider on our bathroom floor. It was the size of a tarantula but without all the hair. He went down the hall to see if the cleaning lady had something to kill it with. She came back with the vacuum cleaner and let out a big scream when she saw the spider. The first night there an alarm went off at 2 AM and lasted for five minutes we were very concerned, it was finally shut off but we never received an explanation as to its cause. For the price we paid for a luxurious hotel we feel we ended up with something less than a Rundown motel in the bad side of town. We will not be staying there again. I have no idea what the other rooms look like but I know what mine looks like, And we made our reservations at least three months in advance. Definitely not worth the money

• Stayed September 2013
MaltonManagement, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review on your stay and I am delighted that you found the hotel enjoyable on the ground floor and enjoyed the hotels facilities. I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your bedroom experience during your stay. Comfort and sleep quality is a priority for all guests and we understand that people will have a different taste in furnishings. We are a little surprised regarding some of the comments that you have made, the weather at the moment has been very mild and we did not feel there was a huge requirement for heat, we apologies if we got this wrong. Firstly we do not have any spider in this country that are dangerous but I totally accept that it was not a nice experience , that said I feel your comments that you were afraid to sleep is a little over the top and had you expressed you concerns to the front desk they would have gladly offered to provide an alternative bedroom on the night. You must appreciate that we air all rooms during the day and yes it is possible with spiders being plentiful in the month of September and with a hotel surrounded by gardens and trees it is possible that some will escape the accommodation staff servicing the rooms daily but I feel that this was an isolated incident.

We certainly would like to apologise for the noise of the fire alarm and unfortunately this was activated during the night as our fire alarm panel works with smoke and heat sensors which is an automated system and my night colleagues should have explained the reasons to all guests when the time was appropriate.
I would be delighted to converse with you on the phone if you have the time at some stage over the coming days and my details are attached.
Best Regards,
Paul O’Sullivan
Deputy General Manager
posullivan@themalton.com
00 353 64 6638011
Clonakilty, Ireland
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We have stayed in the malton many times over the years and as usual our last trip there over the summer was perfect. The Location is so central and yet so quiet and peaceful with the lovely gardens. The staff were so helpful and friendly. Cant wait for my next visit to the hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple