“perfect weekend x” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Malton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
“perfect weekend x”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

had a fantastic weekend at the malton with my hubby at the weekend it was perfect from start to finish first time staying there and cant wait to go back the seafood chowder was to die for and the breakfast was the best I ever had the staff were so friendly and obliging, bar staff so nice and attentive the waiting staff in restaurant work very hard their service was fantastic. Well done Malton hotel a real treasure.. Lynda

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maybe_girl3
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Lynda, Thank you for your review & delighted to hear you & your husband enjoyed your stay with us. Do stay in touch via our website newsletter and follow us on facebook/twitter for future special offers. Hope to welcome you back again. All the best, Jennifer Egan, Digital Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for Christmas and we had a wonderful time.
We traveled on the train so it was all hassle free. We got off train and walked short distance to the hotel. We were greeted by one of the hotel employees who took our bags and brought us to the desk.
We styled in one of the Junior suites which is lovely and spacious... Plenty of room for 3 adults.
Room was spotless... Plenty of toiletries fresh towels and hot water.
The hotel location wise is beside train station, and 5 mins to middle of town and shops. Church across the road and cathedral 5-7 min walk and beside the national park for walks.
The Christmas package is brilliant. We were in another hotel last year and programme was not as good.
Hotel closes from 2pm Christmas Eve to the public therefore gives you 100% attention. Breakfast served till v late on the 3 days which is very welcoming and loads of choice... Buffet served during the afternoon and lovely full dinner every night.
Mary was just brill as a host and looked after every1...
Hope to return another Christmas

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank TipperaryGirl82
Maltonsales, Director of Sales at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest, Sincere thank you for your comments and so glad to hear you enjoyed Christmas with us & hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future, Warmest Regards, Michele King, Director of Sales and Marketing
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed at the malton last weekend, it was very disappointing and over priced. My room card had to be changed 4 times as it wouldn't work , the room was shabby curtains too short for the window, bathroom cracked tiles and grubby shower curtain, window badly fitted and rattled all night with draft, bar staff terrible - they have a new policy confirmed by the manager that individuals/couples or groups are not allowed to share tables in the bar because they are unable to split the bill - unbelieveable! The reception and leisure centre staff were very nice and the food great but their new policy left a bad taste!! I wouldn't stay again and it'S OVER PRICED, they also charge for residents use of the car park- i was aware of this before i went but i think it's just mean, after all it's killarney not london!

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank fionac c
Dear Fiona,
Thank you for your recent review during your break at the Malton. I am very disappointed to read some of your points as we too are very saddened that your short break was not as it should have been. I would like to apologise for any short comings that we created and I will certainly discuss the views that you have shared with us with the accommodation manager and address immediately. I am a little confused regarding our policy that you have suggested is in place regarding splitting tables. We operate a very busy food outlet in the Punchbowl bar and facilitate all guest requirements and I am unsure of the policy that customers are unable to share tables. We have recently introduced a management company to control the use of our car park since we are located in the town centre & need to ensure that there are spaces for all our guests & we charge a nominal/reduced of €2 for 24 hours use. Glas to hear you enjoyed the food offering at the Malton and thank you for your comments re the leisure centre staff. At the Malton we value all our guest comments both positive and negative as it will help us to improve and monitor our business on a daily basis. I would hope to speak to you in the future and I have placed my contact details on this email and I would be delighted if you contact me to discuss your stay in more detail.

posullivan@themalton.com
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Me and my family recently stayed at the Malton I was apprehensive taking the kids to a hotel like this as you would expect them not to very welcoming towards kids.
How wrong was i from the moment we went through the door we were treated unbelievably well.
we checked into our room which was fantastic it was an interconnecting room for a family.
We proceeded to the bar for some food, again there was no feeling that kids were not welcome it was actually the complete opposite.
I had the Wings & the Sirloin which was out of this world the steak was like butter.
My wife ordered the tandoori scampi, my wife does not like spicy food and i told her but being stubborn she still ordered it, she eat very little of it and when the waiter came to clear the plates he noticed the scampi and asked if everything was ok she told him she was full from the starter.
She was embarrassed to say she didn't like it as it was down to personnel taste.
I was surprised as to what followed, Between the 2 waiters, The manager & the chef They were all worried if there was a problem and couldn't be nicer to us.
In heinsight we should have told the truth as a Chef and Bar & restaurant owner myself I would always like to know if there is something wrong.

Later that evening we came back from the town and went to the bar for a drink the bar man declan came over and Gave us a drink on the house as a way of apology.
when my family went to the room i stayed for a drink at the bar and was so guilty for not saying about scampi at the start i explained to declan as he was still worried, I Explained that it was just personnel taste on my wife's behalf and that the food was the best i had eaten for a long time.

Overall I have to say The hotel, its staff and especially declan couldn't have been more accommodating & if my own staff are half as nice as the staff in the malton i will be doing very well

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Darragh R
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Darragh, Thank you sincerely for your great review and honesty re the scampi dish. Always delighted to get feedback from our customers and more so when they have received the experience we always aim to deliver. We do hope to welcome you and your family back again soon & just to note at mid terms, easter/summer holidays etc we also run complimentary family fun programmes which I'm sure your kids will love. Thanks also for mentioning Declan in your review, it's the staff that make this hotel what it is & we are fortunate to have such a great team here, Best Regards, Jennifer Egan, Digital Marketing Manager
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

It was my second time staying at the Malton and i would recommend it to anyone who appreciates luxury at its finest. The last time we stayed we got a standard room which was okay but i expected more but our second visit during the weekend i booked us for a deluxe room which was very spacious and very cosy i really liked it it was worth the extra bit of money without a doubt. The Jacuzzi, sauna, gym unreal. the bar had a great atmosphere to the point that we had to wait for a seat which was actually a good thing because the last time we were there it was empty the bar food was gorgeous char grilled steak sambo must try!!! and the staff were so friendly and very helpful. the breakfast area is absolutely just amazing makes you feel like royalty dining there and the different options for breakfast are endless. love it!!! the door man carried my bag down the steps when leaving and told us to travel home safely which was very professional. highly recommend

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sarah, Sincere thank you for your review and always good to hear from a repeat guest. We have special offers throughout this year as it's our 160th anniversary so hopefully we can tempt you back for a 3rd time! Keep in touch and sign up to our newsletter if you like and also like our facebook page so you dont miss out on these great offers. Warmest Regards & Take Care, Jennifer Egan, Digital Marketing Manager
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I went for lunch with my girlfriend today to find out there was a new menu. We had our lunch anyway expecting the usual lovely lunch but we were very disappointed. My girlfriend had the scampi which was very poor, I had the steak sandwich which was nothing on the steak sandwich of the old menu. Please change it back as we used love going there for lunch.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank As1T1s
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Malton when deciding where to dine in Killarney and certainly we would be much happier if you both enjoyed your lunch. We update our menu in the Punchbowl Bar twice a year in line with food seasonality and market preferences/whats on trend etc. I sincerely appreciate your feedback & will certainly discuss your views with our Executive Chef. It is very important to us that our guests are confident before they arrive & are happy when they leave after an enjoyable lunch/dinner. I would be delighted to discuss with you in more detail if you have the time.

064 6638000
Tralee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

As it was my parents wedding annerversary last week, myself and my partner decided to treat them to a night away and a treatment in the spa! From the moment we say the reception in the main lobby we thought this is going to be great! We couldn't of been more wrong! I watched as my father checked us into our rooms and noticed how the receptionist didn't give him one welcome smile throughtout their whole encounter! We didn't let this affect us too much but as we went up to the rooms! They were average and out the windows throughout the grounds was disgared scaffolding! As evening time approached we went to the bar for drinks! It took 15 minutes before we even got glanced at, even at this they persisted to ignor us until finally one of the others who was serving food pointed to is and told them to serve us! There was again no warm welcome and to be honest I felt extremely uncomfortable and like we were an imposition on them!!!!!! Getting fed up we went into the dining room for something to eat!!! The food was delicious and the dining area was beautiful! However at the end myself and my partner asked for the bill, our waitress said she would be a second! 10MINUTES later I see her serving every other table and completely bypassing us! A further 10Minutes passed when my boyfriend asked her again to which she scurred away in the middle of saying someone else was getting it for us! Still waiting we finally got it and were ready to pay when that waitress ran off! We were paying a lot of money for the food and it seemed like she didn't even want to take it! Only for the fact we were treating my parents and I didn't want them to know the price, I would of walked clean out!!!!! Eventually 30minites later I had to walk up to out first waitress and ask her to take out money!!! I felt awful and not wanted or valued throughout out stay!

This is not even our whole stay but I will leave it at this! I am a receptionist and therapist in a hotel and just felt completely as utterly let down! Not one smile from any member of staff! We left feeling completely annoyed! Will not be staying there again!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bonbag
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review and I too am very disappointed that you and your family did not enjoy your stay. We feel that the best asset in the Malton hotel are our staff, who make the hotel work each day successfully and I am very confused that members of our team expressed themselves as you have outlined. We continue to discuss the importance of customer care and the positive effect it brings to our guests and I will discuss your comments at length with the relevant departments. I will equally discuss with the restaurant manager about our communicating skills regarding your bill & will relook our procedure for this. We have recently introduced a new management system for the hotel along with a new till system for our restaurants & bars but this is by no means an excuse but may have contributed to some of the delay. We have also been carrying out repairs to the hotel roof following the recent storms and have been transporting equipment from one side to another and the additional equipment may have been placed in the wrong location. We truly understand the importance of our guest and more importantly that the guest experience is surpassed when they stay & we will continue to strive to ensure that all our guests have the chance to enjoy the true Malton experience. I would like to apologise to you and your family and would be grateful when you have a free moment that you would contact me as I would be delighted to chat to you in more detail.

posullivan@themalton.com