Great Southern Killarney
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
2,455 results
All reviewspunchbowl barmary macgarden roomtrain stationreading roombeautiful hoteljunior suiteold worldleisure centreself cateringtop classold stylewedding receptionbar foodfrom start to finishlast weekendfantastic stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Had a two night stay at the Malton in mid October and had a favorable experience. This hotel is a perfect blend of traditional hotel architecture and modern amenities. The lobby has multiple areas for groups to gather along with a wonderful bar to start off or cap your evening. Our rate included breakfast each a.m. which was standard fare and also dinner one evening at Peppers Steakhouse. Dinner was fine but nothing exceptional. Our room was generous size with newer fixtures and we loved the 12ft ceilings. The location was great with the main street of town just a short and comfortable distance away. Internet access was available in the library and the staff were always available to address any issues.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 27 September 2008

This hotel was highly recommended by the travel agent and had great reviews on this site. Beds are very comfortable but some of the staff such as Micheal from the bar treated us like vagabonds and refused to give us any attention. Luckily, a sweet waitress named Claire took care of us. The staff did their basic duties and reluctantly so. The food was very good. The rooms were not well cleaned each day and it was hard to tell if they had been cleaned at all. Too many tourists at this hotel and perhaps that is why the staff was lazy and dismissive. We could not get any spa treatments and ended up going next door to the sister hotel the Killarney Park Hotel -- boy, sure wish we would have stayed there. Now, that's a nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shenay921
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We stayed at the Malton the 1st weekend in August and it was the perfect choice for us (middle aged couple no kids!!). On arrival I was quite "impressed" with the outside - traditional but a nice feel. The reception was slightly "modernised" and I thought had been done to blend quite well from "traditional to more updated" look it had in some of the parts, but still keeping its lovely "old" charm.
Prior to booking the Malton l was 'torn' between a few Killarney town hotels because of looking at the reviews on TA (Scotts/Riverside etc) mainly because I am a bit "fussy" when it comes to "old/tired furnishings" which the reviews seem to imply the Malton had, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. (and glad I took the local experts advice on going to the Malton - thx!)
We arrived at the hotel on Friday night around 7.30pm and were immediately checked in with no fuss whatsoever the receptionist advised us of all the "need to know" stuff. I had booked the hotel through an on-line hotel web-site, it was our Wedding Anniversary and I had requested a room on a "higher" floor and one of the refurbished rooms - and that was exactly what we got (Room 470). (I had read on the forums that some of the rooms were not re-furbished I am not sure if that is still true though). The room was at the back of the hotel and although it didn't have a complete view of the gardens it was still quite nice, you could just see the hills in the distance . The room also over looked the "lesiure part" of the hotel (function suite & pool) which although had functions on both evenings of our stay, you could only just hear some background noise of music and people having a good time (nothing to disturb a nights sleep and in some ways quite nice - that happy buzzy sound!). The room was a good size, with the most wonderfully comfortable bed...and lovely white crisp linen...nice "blackout" curtains. There was tea & coffee making and free complimentary still and sparking water each day. The bathroom was a good size, nice and clean and with complimentary toiletries, a good powerful shower (there was a bath too - not seperate). There was a hairdryer and ironing board/iron in the room and TV too.
We had breakfast included in our rate, this consisted of a hot and cold buffet breakfast...more than enough for most people I would have thought....Cereals/Juices/couple of cold meats choices/cheese/ Fruit/Yoghurt, Bacon/Sausage/Black Pudding/Fried and scrambled eggs/Mushroons/tomatoes, Toast, tea and coffee brought to your table (which we ordered more of each day - no extra charge). You could order other "extras" which were at a charge (smoked salmon/poached eggs/fish) which my husband did the 2nd day (Kippers which he loved 5.50 euros). If I'm honest, it wasn't the tastiest breakfast but, not sure why as it was "all there", but saying that it was absolutely fine (especially as it was served until 11.00am!!)
We didn't eat in the hotel resaturant (Peppers) but In the evening we did use the bar (after we had been out for the evening in the town). Friday we stopped in the Punchbowl bar for coffee & brandies (devine shortbread biscuits with the coffee)...the bar had a really nice "buzz" to it...Saturday we also called in and caught the end of a band...again a really nice feel to the place - buzzzy but not rowdy...
We didn't end up using the swimming pool/jacuzzi facilities but we did take a look at them and they looked nice and clean...(seemed you HAD to wear a swim hat or shower cap! to use the facility which I know other hotels insist on)
The location of the Malton was great ..only 5 mins if that, stroll to the town (I was so glad I didn't pick a hotel slap in the middle of things as I would imagine it could be v.noisey at closing time). Also to mention , we requested a late check out (2.00pm) and there was no problem with that, and no extra charge. All in all a wonderful choice which I would recommend and definately return if I were to come back to Killarney (or Kerry).

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heartyoz
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We stayed in the Malton Hotel, Killarney last week and really enjoyed the stay. The hotel is really big and impressive on the outside and plenty of luxury inside. We had 2 connecting rooms, with the children in one and my husband and I in the other.. Very spacious and comfortable with a great view of the gardens. The swimming pool is pretty small but very clean and we enjoyed a dip before have a fab dinner in the dining room. The food and service were great.

Overall we all enjoyed our stay and had a great time in Killarney. We actually had 2 days of very fine weather, which helped greatly, after a summer of rain, and more rain!

We will deffinately visit the Malton and Killarney in general again soon!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We recently celebrated our parents Golden Wedding Anniversary by spending the weekend in the Malton hotel. There were 23 of us including 11 grandchildren ranging in age from 13 to 2.5 years. On booking the rooms my parents were automatically upgraded to a junior suite and each family got either a family room or 2 interconnecting rooms depending on the number of children. All rooms were very spacious with comfortable beds and great showers. They have all been redecorated in the past 2 years.
We selected the hotel because of its ‘olde worlde’ charm and lovely gardens (my parents) its location so central to Killarney town(everyone) and the kids facilities (swimming pool, tennis courts, kiddies play area and supervised playroom from 6pm – 9pm)
We were very impressed with the helpfulness, efficiency and overall ‘can-do’ attitude of all the staff we met. Every staff member was so helpful and made us feel as if we were the only group event in the hotel ……which of course we weren’t ….they had 2 big weddings on Fri and Sat evening !
Buffet breakfast served till 11am and the dinner on Sat night were excellent. There were 4 coeliacs in our group and they were catered for without a problem.
They organised for an incredibly competent woman to look after the children in one of the small meeting rooms while the adults had dinner on Sat night. Again the use of the room was free of charge while we paid the childminder directly ourselves.
From my initial email contact in May to the thank-you email I got from the general manager I cannot praise the Malton and its staff highly enough. It represented Irish hospitality and customer service at its best. I have no hesitation in recommending a stay at the Malton to anyone wanting a break in Killarney

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family