“Duty of care”

Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
dublin
“Duty of care”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I stayed in Scotts for the golden years deal. The first night we could not get a dinner booking before 8 30 as they were looking after a tour from America so we went elsewhere for dinner. The second day we booked after breakfast but could not get a booking till 8 30 because they were looking after a tour we went with that as we had no choice. We had a drink in the bar the service was terrible three bar men and not one in a hurry to look after anyone . The place was badly in need of a good clean its not as if they were run off their feet as there was only about five people in there.We had one drink and went into dinner. The staff three young ladies were a pleasure they could not have done more to make the evening better.They were so busy but did not show it. Then later on my husband got so sick he was very ill for the whole night .The next morning I went to the chemist to get something to help him.He was ill for the whole day I reported it to front of house she said she could not do anything but would send a manager .Three hours later no one came to check on us. We packed and asked for our bill as my husband just wanted to get home and see our own doctor.The train journey was terrible as he was sick the whole way .As we were leaving we were told we would not be charged for the night or the next morning as we were leaving only I was so upset I would have told them what I thought of that.Our doctor confirmed that my husband had food poison from the drink we had at the bar or the dinner we dont know.But after the way we were treated we will not be going back to Scotts Hotel.

Room Tip: all rooms are quite noisy
4 Thank lavenderladydublin
ScottsKillarney, General Manager at Scotts Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for contacting me directly I have forwarded a letter to you via your personnel email, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us.
If you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact me further
Dan McCarthy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This is a very adequate hotel for most things. The main problem we had was noise from e area near our room. The music from the bar lasted until 2:00 am and e drunks longer than that. At five the street sweeper sounded a 427 going down the street. Did I mention you could NOT close the windows? We complained and were assured at Saturday was unique and the rest of our stay would be better. Last night, Monday, we had to listen to music, drunks on the street at 3, the unloading of steel barrels at 4, and the street sweeper at 5. Forget sleep! When I called the desk to ask for help I was told it was a public street and nothing could be done.
All in all, I would not stay there again - ever.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank BarbinLA
ScottsKillarney, General Manager at Scotts Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear Past Guest

Many thanks for your compliments on tripadvisor; it was with great sadness that I read that you found Scotts Hotel to be noisy; as a town centre hotel we are prone to having some form of noise disturbance; our live music in Scotts Bar finishes at approx 12.30am at weekends, 11.30 midweek; however we strive to keep noise to a minimum as to not disturb guests that are early to bed.

I am sorry that you were once more disturbed by the daily town council cleaning of the street of the town; only recently Killarney has been awarded “Tidiest Town in Ireland 2011”; the people of Killarney have worked very hard to achieve such an award along with the town council; they are trogan workers.

I do hope that you return to Scotts Hotel; I would be more than happy to provide you with a discounted rate in one of our quieter rooms for your stay.

Cork
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Myself and my husband stayed here just this weekend past and we both have to admit we would definately be going back there again, from the get go the car park was easily found and was not to far away from the main reception although on first glance you would expect it to be! Once the underground car park was accessed, there was either a lift or a stairs and the entrance was about 5 meters away once you reached ground level.

Check in was a pleasurable experience, no long waits, receptionist was on a call but apologised perfusely for the wait. Whilst we were filling out our check in details she dealt with two other guests in an extremely professional manner and was back to us again within seconds.

The lift was kinda small and a bit of a squash if you had more than 2 people using it. The stairs was a great laugh once not approached when legless at 2am in the morning!!!

Our room was located on the 3rd floor and was about the size of my own kitchen and dining room put together, funished with a huge bed that could easily sleep 6 people! the best bed i have ever slept in! and if my hand bag was big enough i would have taken it home with me! there was a large leather sofa, coffee table, table n two chairs. There was a plasma on the wall but alas the reception was awful and there were only the poverty channels to be had! The bathroom was plush!! again really BIG!

Our room opened out on to a shared balcony overlooking kenmare place so this alone while a great thing to have would leave you wondering about security as the balcony was shared by at least 3 other rooms and when we were away from the rooms during the day, the cleaning staff insisted on leaving all the windows wide open. now im not questioning the honesty and integrity of my neighbours but the windows were wide enough for a person of my size to fit in! and while we were lying in bed watching the Irish Rugby match on Sunday morning with the curtins open a couple decided to walk outside our window and of course have an ould looksie in!

Breakfast on both mornings was above average! you were seated within seconds of arriving and served by lovely waitresses.

Now as for the bar, the staff here are extremely rude and unhelpful. A shame really when the rest of the hotels staff including cleaning ladies were really really REALLY nice! Went to the bar on the first day and stood there for about 5 mins waiting for service NO one behind the counter. We sat down and when someone came up to the bar we went back up but they disappeared quite quickly having seen us approach!! so second day we went back in there! 3 staff members behind the bar, one talking polish or something on his mobile laughing and skitting the other two chatting to themselves actually not chatting but flirting with eachother! waited at the bar, guy on the phone spots us and turns his back having made eye contact with us! other two! well there was no coming between them!

now i wouldnt let this prevent us from going back and staying there again as i said the hotel was exceptional, and there are obviously loads of other bars on the same street that we could go to! Failte accross the road, Charlies by the Dannyman, Corkerys on the main street all brillant pubs with a good homely athmosphere! CORKERYS for a pint of Guiness or MURPHYS! nicest in Killarney!

would i stay here again! of course!!

Dear Past Guest

Many thanks for your review on tripadvisor and your kind comments regarding Scotts Hotel and its luxurious accommodation. We are delighted to be of service; thank you for highlighting your disappointment with the privacy of Balcony suites; we are reviewing this at the moment & aim to make it more private in the near future.

Yes unfortunately the service and experience in the bar was not acceptable on your visit; we have spoken to the individuals who were on duty that day and I can assure you that this will not happen again. Our main aim in Scotts Bar is to make sure that our guests enjoy a relaxing time in our bar and we are here to be of service.

Thank you once more for your constructive criticism; please when you return make yourself known to me and I will personal make sure that you will have a more enjoyable experience in Scott Bar on your return.

Looking forward to welcoming you.
Hull
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This is the fourth time we have stayed at Scotts Hotel and we were not disappointed. On this visit we had a package of one free dinner and a free trip on the Killarney lakes, both were very enjoyable, the food at dinner was excellent.
As always the room and service were very good, we had a room on the fourth floor this time with a view over the countryside. It had a lovely big bathroom with walk-in shower as well as bath plus free internet.
The hotel is right in the middle of the town and yet has free underground parking.
We will be going back again I am sure.

Dear Rover426

Many thanks for your compliments on tripadvisor about your recent trip to Scotts Hotel. It great to welcome repeat guest’s back to our hotel; it makes our job more enjoyable; we enjoy building strong relations for many years to come with you.

Rover426; one your next visit please introduce yourself and I will look forward to meeting with you shortly.
cork
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Stayed a week in Sotts hotel Killarney on half board. We upgraded to deluxe suite this was an excellent choice as the suite was quite large with king size bed and easy chairs.
Our room was on the fourth floor and had a lovely view of the mountains.
The bathroom was very spacious with shower and bath and with the usual toiletries.
Towels were replaced every day and the bedroom and bathroom were cleaned every day. The breakfast and evening meals were excellent. The hotel is very centeral close to lots of pubs and restaurants by the way restaurants prices were great value for money.
We had our car so we were able to drive to all the places of interest in the county.
The hotel has free underground car park but be careful,on some of the walls there are brackets protruding about 40cm and it's very easy to reverse into them.
The hotel staff in general were very friendly but the reception staff could have been a little bit more friendly on checking out we were neither asked did we enjoy our stay or would we be coming back. Overall we did enjoy our visit and we are more than likely to stay again.
'

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Pnek

Many thanks for your tripadvisor comments; comments on tripadvisor help us in clarifying how we can best serve our guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed our beautiful deluxe suites; yes they are very spacious and luxurious; a perfect home away from home and some great view of Killarney Mountains.

Thank you for your comments on our staff; I am sorry that you were not greeted in the manner that we are accustomed to; we are about to undergo an intensive retraining course over the coming weeks thus striving for a higher level of customer care.

I do hope you return to us once more in Scott’s hotel. My team and will look forward to welcoming you back.
General Manager- Scotts Hotel Killarney
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Killarney is a beautiful place to stay. would highly recommend Scotts Hotel. The staff were lovely. The food was lovely and quiet reasonably priced...

Room Tip: The family rooms are well laid out with a separate area for the children's beds.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Portlairge

Many thanks for your compliments on tripadvisor about your recent trip to Scotts Hotel. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay; I have passed on your wonderful comments to all our staff and we are delighted to serve you.
I do hope that you return to Scotts Hotel in the near future.
Kind regards
General Manager- Scotts Hotel Killarney
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed here on a weekend in Killarney and the hotel was in a great location close to shops and some night life while being far enough away so that you could get a good nights sleep.

We ended up getting an apartment type room with an extra room off it with a fridge and cooker and couches and a telly and this is a part of what made the trip so enjoyable. There is a lot going on in Killarney and if you're the type who enjoys Irish Music there are plenty bars around with live traditional music. There are a few other bars then that would have rock (cover) bands singing some popular current hits for younger people and couples (We were more into the rock bands to be honest)

The food in the hotel was a little bit pricey, but it was very nice and there is a nice ambience in the restaurant / lobby so I'd recommend eating there if it was in your price range.

Room Tip: A room facing the pedestrian street out front will provide some entertainment watching people stumbl...
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear RitchieF

Many thanks for your compliments on tripadvisor about your recent trip to Scotts Hotel. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your time right in the centre of Killarney- where you are in prime location near bars, restaurants, shops and galleries. Yes our hotels rooms with the living/dining room area is a great bonus and treat; giving you some great space and luxury during your stay. I do hope that you return to Scotts Hotel in the near future and I look forward to welcoming you.
Kindest regards