“IDEAL STAY-CATION LOCATION”
Review of Scotts Hotel

Scotts Hotel
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 10 October 2011

With a young child of 3 1/2 and a wife nearly due our second baby, we decided to holiday at home this year and settled on a familiar town to us, Killarney. We have stayed in the town many times before but this time we were looking for slightly larger accommodation to suit our long stay and have space for our energetic daughter. Scotts hotel lived up to our expectations and more.
The staff were very accommodating and extremely friendly. The facilities were excellent. We had a suite accommodaiton for 5 nights. It had a large en suite double bedroom with adjacent kitchen/living/dining area with fully equiped kitchen. Our daughter slept in a fold up double bed. We had a view over the fair hill car park and Friary church.

The great thing about Scotts is it's location. You are right in the middle of the town and within a short walk to the national park.

The breakfast was tasty and varied. The bar and restaurant is great for an evening meal.

Having stayed for 5 nights we got a complimentary trip on the water bus on the lower lake, which was nice.

Overall a great break and we'll be back - good willing with 2 in tow.

Room Tip: The suites are a great option if you need the space for a long stay.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank eddkeogh
ScottsKillarney, General Manager at Scotts Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear EddKeogh

Many thanks for your recent review on tripadvisor; we are delighted that you, your wife and daughter had an enjoyable time here with us in Scotts Hotel.
Best of luck with the new addition to your family and looking forward very much to welcoming the new addition when you return with your family to Scotts in the future.

There are newer reviews for Scotts Hotel

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Just last weekend a group of us (11) girls stayed in Scotts Hotel Self Catering Apartments.
On arrival we were told that we had to pay €250 deposit on top of the price of the apartment. We were not prepared for this and we did not have the money so they reduced it to €150 for us. However, I camly advised them that they should make this clear on their website and was sternly told that it is clearly stated on their website. Now, today I just checked their website and their terms and conditions and no where does it say you have to pay a deposit for the apartments. I booked 1 apartment via their own website and my friend booked the second apartment over the phone (she was not told about the deposit over the phone). We had no problem paying a deposit but we were not prepared so some of the girls were short on money for the weekend.

The apartments were ideally located in the middle of the town. About 5 doors down from McSorley's and Scruffys. Nearly accross the road from McSweenys. The apartment themselves were lovely. 2 seperate bedrooms, 1 shower room and 1 main bathroom and kitchen/dining area. Tea towels, tea and coffee were also supplied. However there were some negatives, showers were awful, electric one had no pressure and the one in the main bathroom worked off a tank so hot water ran out pretty quick. The 2 showers could not be used at the same time for some reason. The piece of foam that was the mattress of the sofa bed was about an inch tick so that was very uncomfortable. Don't stay here if you are a light sleeper, (which I am not) cause I was woke several times by the sounds of people talking in the street (2 floors below), horses trotting, noisy neighbours. I could hear people roaring in a hotel room across the street. When checking out we had to wait while they ran up to the apartment to ensure no damage was done. This was only fair but allow for this delay in the morning, about 15-20 min delay.

Overall, I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to any of my friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Reviewer_21_21

Dear Reviewer_21_21

I would like to thank this reviewer on tripadvisor

Scotts Self Catering apartments were opened in 2008 to accommodate great value deals for groups away for a short break in Killarney; while still enjoying the hotel experience. A security deposit of €250 per apartment was deemed suitable to request from a party of 5 per stay; which would be returned after there stay providing no damage occurred to the apartment.
Please note we have it stated clearly in F&AS on Scotts own website; this is located on the top right hand corner of Scott’s website.
At time of booking via our website; it is also clearly stated before and after reservation has been complete and an automated email is sent directly to the guest informing of required deposit and of accommodation inspection the following morning. I am extremely sorry that you did not read the details at time of booking but information has been provided so all our guest are aware of our apartment policy.

Thank you for informing us about certain negativities of our apartments; I have notified our maintenance department and we will rectify these immediately. Scott’s apartments are town centre property and are subject to certain noise disturbance over a busy weekend.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time in Scott’s apartments; these apartments are ideally suited for guests that are going away for a short break in Killarney…….. Scott’s hotel might be more suitable to your needs; if you do return to Scotts please let us know and we will provide you with a discounted rate within a quieter area of our hotel.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

My wife & I stayed in Scotts Hotel on Fri. Sept 30th,had a lovely room & pleasant stay,but when it came to breakfast there is two tier system in place I ordered full irish, this was to have consisted of 2 sauges 2 bacon, black & white pudding tomatoe & mushrooms fried egg as I thought,what was presented was 2 sausages,1 bacon egg n half tomatoe,when I asked the supersivor informed me I was on a differene rate,at any time was this pointd out to me when I was making the reservation,this is the first tme this ever happened in 40 yrs staying in hotels,how mean my wife did not have cooked breakfast,

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank JHtipster
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Mystified as to why a single with breakfast is thirty euro cheaper than a double... they are the same rooms, the only difference is the breakfast. Thirty euro is pretty expensive for one extra breakfast. An expensive three star hotel. Nice enough but too expensive for what it delivers.

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank hibernianemigre

Dear Hibernianmigre

Many thanks for your recent review on tripadvisor; Scotts Hotel quoted on a per person sharing rate; if on occasion a single room is required; we provide an additional single supplement charge between €15 -€25 per night pending on the demand and on low season to high season.

I am sorry if you believed Scotts Hotel is expensive; our rates are in keeping with other hotels in Killarney. We provide an array of facilities during your stay in Scotts and pending on certain packages our guests avail of for e.g. we provide live entertainment every weekend off peak, complimentary car parking and wifi, on a two night stay we provide a complimentary one hour cruise on the lakes. Some great offers can be sought on our website.

I do hope that this has clarified your query regarding our prices for both our double rooms and our single rooms; if you would like further details please do not hesitate to contact me direct on info@scottshotelkillarney.com

Reviewed 26 September 2011

The front desk staff, except for one gentleman manning the desk at night, were generally helpful. We were disappointed that even though we had requested 2 standard rooms near each other, our party of 2 couples ended up 2 floors apart, not the worst thing in the world. The en suite accommodations were adequate, but you might want to ask for a small fan to be brought to your room. My wife and I slept fine, but my daughter and her husband thought the beds/pillows were a bit too hard. There are no ice machines in the hotel (Is that just a U.S. thing?). There is a good pub attached to the Scotts. This pub offers bar food in addition to a good selection of beer etc. They had nightly live trad music starting at 9:30 PM. I enjoyed myself there. The daily breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very limited and, except for the yummy brown bread, the food was edible but not very good.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jroth314

Dear Jroth314

Many thanks for your recent review on tripadvisor; and I do hope that you enjoyed your time with us here in Scotts.
I am deeply saddened that you found one of our front office staff to be unhelpful; I would like to inform you that we are implementing an intensive customer service retraining programme for all our staff over the coming weeks.

I am sorry that we were unable to provide you with rooms next to each other; we were fully booked out during your stay and unfortunately we were only able to provide you with the next available room on a second floor.

We endeavour to provide our guests with an enjoyable stay and aim to accommodate any request a guest might have; we do provide complimentary fans for our guests which are available from reception and we also provide complimentary ice which is available in any of our 3 bars or can be requested by reception.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our bar; yes it has a great atmosphere given you an essence of what Ireland is about.

Thank you for your comments on our breakfast; I have duly noted and will inform our chef of your comments.

I do hope that you return to Scott Hotel once more; if you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact me by email info@scottshotelkillarney.com

Reviewed 25 September 2011

While the experience at the Scotts is a little uneven to grant them a unqualified '4', it is not an unreasonable rating for a 3 star house. The central location gives you an easy walk to most all of the downtown area. It is a generally contemporary hotel mixed up with some curious traditional decor in some of the public spaces.The internet was complementary but could only be accessed in the lobby. Our room was small with a compact bathroom. The furnishings were pretty average with essentially no decor nor art in the room.The TV was small with a moderate number of channels. The bed, linens, and toiletries were very good and the towels bordered on excellent. We found the service to be uneven- the front deck was efficient but indifferent; the breakfast service was above average; the lounge service,when you could get the servers attention, was indifferent. Quirks: The hotel features live music most nights of the week in the courtyard outside the lounge and hotel. We enjoyed the no cover music- the acts were very good quality AND we had no issue with the music continuing later into the night outside our window- it didn't interfere with our sleep quality much at all. But we could understand why many people would object.Scott's is a competent place to stay in Killarney, but could be better with some attention to detail and some more enthusiastic service. (GT 6)

Room Tip: If you obejct to live music outside your window late at night you, request a room away from the cour...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
ScottsKillarney, General Manager at Scotts Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Dear AnacoTraveler

I would like to thank you for your comments on tripadvisor; yes we are ideally located in Killarney town centre; in 2006 we totally refurbished the hotel and built additional rooms with various different room types, thus creating an atmosphere in a very contemporary setting; only the start of this year did we renovate our existing rooms of our hotel; the hotel has been in existence for over 70 years; we have ongoing development projects within our hotel; so we can provide a comfortable home away from home feel to Scotts Hotel.

Thank you for your comments on our staff; from recent comments on trip advisor we have decided to provide an intensive customer service retraining programme to all our staff and aim to develop a higher standard of customer care in the near future within our hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed our music in the courtyard; we have been providing this service for years and many of our guests return year after year for the live music and ambience; however if on an occasion a guest of Scotts would like to refrain from listen to music; we have rooms available on the Fairhill side of the hotel.
Thank you for your feedback and I will inform all departments of your comments.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

stayed here for two nights this year. We booked a suite and were not dissapointed. The room was huge and so was the bathroom with a seperate shower and bath. The hotel is in a great location, right in the centre of town.The bar had music both nights we stayed, and the food was great and affordably priced. Breakfast was good both days, the only down side to hotel was the room we had was facing the street and we were woken early each morning to the sound of the street being cleaned. Killarney is a wonderful town with loads to do.

Room Tip: you can upgrade to a suite for 25euro a night
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Past Guest

Many thanks for your compliments on tripadvisor about your recent stay in Scott’s hotel; I am delighted that you enjoyed our suites; which are most definitely a home away from home.
I am saddened to read that you were woken early by the street cleaners; Killarney was recent voted “Tidy Towns of the year”; the town council are delighted with the win and have and are working very hard to keep Killarney town as clean as possible.
Thank you once more for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Scotts Hotel.