“A very disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Killarney

Hotel Killarney
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland, Europe
“A very disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have stayed in this hotel,when it was the quality hotel,for the last 7 years with my husband and 4 children,it was always a great experience hence the fact we returned every year but after this year's experience never again will I stay at the 'new' hotel killarney. We didn't check in til after 5 our allocated suite wasn't ready, when they found another one for us the travel Cot,that I requested when booking and requested again over the phone 2 days before arrival to confirm booking,wasn't in the room, after ringing reception several times when I eventually got a reply I was told it would be straight up,when I checked out 2 mornings later it still hadn't arrived, I just kept my little girl in the double bed with me and my husband. The fridge was leaking water. We stayed for 2 nights and housekeeping made up the room after our first night yet by the following morning our toilet roll was gone,we only got one roll for 5 people, and when I was having a shower I realised all the body wash was gone. As for the breakfast the lovely hash browns that my son raved about from one year 2 the next were replaced by shriveled up triangles of tasteless cardboard, the orange juice that came out of what was supposed to be a fruice dispenser was like dirty water on the first morning of our stay but on the second morning it was proper fruice orange juice, so obviously it was watered down beyond recognition on our first morning. I truly am very disappointed as were all my family because we have stayed here every year for our family holidays but I can honestly say NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank sarahmc2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed here for one night, on a business trip. We stayed in this hotel 30 years ago when our kids were small. At that time (I believe it was called the Killarney Ryan?) it was ideal for our needs and the kids were looked after exceptionally well, meaning we could relax and enjoy the trip also. It would appear that while the name has changed, little else has. This is a good thing. There were still lots of families with small kids and everyone seemed to be having a ball. There was a holiday atmosphere and, while I was on business, I was catered for but I could see the bus loads of tourists and families moving about and enjoying the facilities. The room was basic and the restaurant was basic but I wasn't looking for 5 star facilities and it suited my purpose.

Room Tip: This seems to be a good location if you have young kids. It's located on the Cork Road, on the o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ballinasloe, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed on a mid week deal here in july -booked through lidl breaks! We had stayed here before.. the first time could not fault a thing. This time, everything was fine. However, the breakfast in the mornings were mayhem even though we were down v early each morning.. they did not have sufficient staff to deal with the amount of people going through for breakfast . Also, the food was poor for breakfast too. The room, other facilities and location all ideal!! Good value too.

1 Thank Joan H
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here as part of an EF tour. Rooms were OK. Bathtubs are very deep, sloped, and slippery, and several of us slipped and/or fell as part of getting into the tubs. They had their heat enthusiastically on high the entire time we were there, so the top floors can tend to be a bit stifling.
Overall, the food was pretty good, and enjoyable. Two great nights there, with the group.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Tipperary, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very friendly and relaxed vibe around the hotel, Garry on check out desk was very helpful. Bedroom was comfortable and clean, shower nice and powerful,breakfast was tasty but a little short on variety . Hotel is a bit dated looking but kept very clean, an ideal value for money hotel on the edge of Killarney town.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Killarney Hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the town which while doesn't seem too bad initially after a day of trekking around the beautiful countryside its the last thing we wanted to do. There is a phone in reception available to call taxi's which were quick and affordable at €2 per person to the town.
The hotel itself is large and our room was at the very back of the complex so it was quite a long walk to reach it. (Not suitable for very elderly or infirm although there is a wheel chair available in reception) We had a suite which had a living room with 2 sofa's a single bed, a dining table and kitchen and then it had a separate bedroom with two double beds so perfect for families. The room was clean, comfortable and fairly modern. Only issue was you could only open the window and inch and it was quite warm.
We chose the hotel as it seemed aimed at families with a lot of activities for children and teens but unfortunately most activities didn't start until July and we were there in June. The swimming pool and playground were available and these the children enjoyed very much. Personally next time I would chose a hotel closer to town or maybe the hotel could look into doing a complimentary bus like some of the other hotels do.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kari_E2010
Carlow, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a great two night holiday in the Hotel Killarney (previously the Quality Hotel).

The staff are very friendly and helpful despite working apparently long hours especially in the leisure centre and at reception.

Every hour there was a new activity for the kids-included in the price of the stay. Our three children from 5 to 9 years old loved everything from bouncy castle to bungee basketball, The hotel even had an animal road show visit the hotel which gave the children opportunities to learn about and hold pretty interesting creatures!

The family room was spacious. I agree with other reviewers that the hotel needs to remodel, but this did not hamper our experience. But I think we stayed in one of the newer rooms.

The only advice to the hotel would be change their pricing for the bar food. Charging €10.50 for a tuna melt is a bit over priced!

1 Thank cpadd
ManagementQuality, Manager at Hotel Killarney, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Cpadd,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Killarney.

i am very pleased to read your wonderful comments on our children's facilities, we strive to provide children with a memorable time that they will look back on for many years to come. I will pass on your kind comments to our staff.

Thank you for your feedback on our products and services, we will take your comment regarding pricing on board.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,