“Nice family hotel”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Dungannon, United Kingdom
“Nice family hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights here in a family room. Room was nice enough though v warm but I've come to expect this now with most hotels. The hotel staff very friendly and helpful. It's a great hotel for children. There was always something for them to do from crazy golf, dodgeball, games room, swimming pool to even a roller disco plus lots more. We found the buffet breakfast great which set us nicely for our treks around Killarney. A no frills hotel which is just what we wanted. We enjoyed our time here.

1 Thank Dearbhla A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
laois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here in july the week of the killarney races. 2 adults 2 kids in a family room. Not the biggest family room but spotless. Room cleaned every day. I do agree that the food is not to everyones taste. Breakfast was fine just the evening meals were v basic. Nothing to write home about. The kids entertainment was second to none. My son was in his element lots of activities for him he didnt want to leave the hotel and the music ar night was good too. Staff were excellent v friendly to us at all times. Can i say a big thank u to the manager mr moynihan.he came over to chat to us on our second night amd invited our daughter to play her fiddle with the music group that were playing at the hotel. Thank you!!!!! Its nice to still see the personal touch in our hotels.

• Stayed July 2014
Aidan M, General Manager at Hotel Killarney, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear "sonollaois"

Thank you for your kind comments. It was a pleasure to meet you last week and I wish your daughter every success at the All Ireland Fleadh Cheoil in Sligo later this year. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Kind Regard

West Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

From once I made our hotel reservation I had doubts about our stay. Following our initial reservation over the phone it took a few emails & phone calls to the hotel before I eventually received confirmation. Comments/requests made when making the booking & during a follow up phone call were not passed on.
Once we arrived we found all the staff to be really friendly, Garry on check in & & Peter on check out very very friendly & helpful but I felt so sorry for them, there appears to be only one staff member at the majority of times, when we were checking in the phone was ringing constantly & there didn't seem to be anyone available to answer it, it gets a bit irritating after awhile to be listening to the constant ring of a phone whilst trying to listen to someone. Any of the girls we dealt with in the restaurant were as equally friendly & polite.
Accommodation staff were very obliging & helpful in trying to sort the issue of us being given the incorrect type of room. I'm just sorry I didn't get their names to thank them properly. Dinner was ok, nothing major to praise, breakfast was ok, pending on what you wanted. There was one type of cheese on offer but no meat, so no continental choice. Toast was pre made white bread toast only & sat with hot breakfast buffet, the scrambled eggs were a very close resemblance to custard & I don't know what the over cooked triangular shape things were , I presume they were some sort of potato thing?
One of the biggest things I was disappointed with was the lack of leaflets or brochures on things to do in the area. There were a few on a table near reception but they included the events that were on July 4th (we checked in in on July 22nd) & some other event to be held in Aug. There wasn't one leaflet on places like Muckross House, Kenendys Pet farm or any of the major tourist things Killarney has to offer. At this day & age it's hard to believe that there isn't wifi available in the rooms but also none of the public computers were working during our 3 days/2 nights in the hotel.
Overall the facilities are good for children but the standard of service does seem to be slipping & I think part of this is due to staff shortage.

3 Thank tgri
Dear "tgri"

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to read your comments and please be assured that your feedback has been discussed at length with my team.

I and my Head Chef have committed to overseeing our breakfast service and the quality of food on a daily basis and will continue to do so until such time we are happy.

With regard to your feedback on staffing levels I can assure you that I have a full compliment of staff to deal with any situation.

However if you wish to discuss any aspect of your recent stay, please contact me directly at amoynihan@hotelkillarney.ie.

Kind Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have stayed here every year for a number of years. I was excited to hear it had been taken over and is now the "Hotel Killarney" as new owners usually mean fixing old problems. Unfortunately the old problems seem to have got worse with the new management. This is a great family hotel with so many activites for children of all ages and thankfully this has continued the girls who run the kids club & childrens activities are great and do a great job there is something to do from 9am until 10.30pm to suit all ages, our group this yr (7 kids) had ages 1.5yrs to 13yrs and all had a great time. The 1 bed suites are great value and give plenty of room for families with big bedroom with double and single bed and sitting room/kitchen with fold out sofa and double bed (on request) so plenty of room, the 2 TV's also have DVD players which is a great bonus for kids. The housekeeping staff are lovely and helpful. Still the only thing that lets this hotel down is the breakfast room/food/staff. In fairness to the staff they are few and do the best they can but always look hassled and hectic which makes them very unapproachable in the breakfast room, the Q for breakfast is ridiculous I have seen the hotel much busier in previous yrs and still spent less time queueing!!!! After queueing for 25 minutes for a table, & then requeueing for the breakfast it was so disappointing, scalding hot plates (with no warning sign), tasteless food, more Q's for toast & drink in summary a waste of 45-50 mins Queueing for 1 thing or another to end with tasteless food and breakfast staff who look like their shift will never end!!! We will continue to go their as everything else in the hotel is great but in future I will be booking the room only rate and heading over to the Supervalu across the road for breakfast :-)

Room Tip: One bed suites offer great value and extra space for families
2 Thank tinkerbellali
Dear "tinkerbellali"

Thank you for your response.

I am delighted you chose to stay with us once again this year and that you and your family had such a good stay. We put huge effort into our kids club and family entertainment and its great to see you all enjoyed it.

In relation to your comments regarding breakfast I and my Head Chef are committed to overseeing service and the standard of food served. We have put corrective action in place and trust you will see great improvement on your next visit.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay at amoynihan@hotelkillarney.ie.

Kind Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Room Tip: One Bed suites offer great value for families of 4 to 6.
1 Thank tinkerbellali
Cork, Ireland, Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have stayed in this hotel,when it was the quality hotel,for the last 7 years with my husband and 4 children,it was always a great experience hence the fact we returned every year but after this year's experience never again will I stay at the 'new' hotel killarney. We didn't check in til after 5 our allocated suite wasn't ready, when they found another one for us the travel Cot,that I requested when booking and requested again over the phone 2 days before arrival to confirm booking,wasn't in the room, after ringing reception several times when I eventually got a reply I was told it would be straight up,when I checked out 2 mornings later it still hadn't arrived, I just kept my little girl in the double bed with me and my husband. The fridge was leaking water. We stayed for 2 nights and housekeeping made up the room after our first night yet by the following morning our toilet roll was gone,we only got one roll for 5 people, and when I was having a shower I realised all the body wash was gone. As for the breakfast the lovely hash browns that my son raved about from one year 2 the next were replaced by shriveled up triangles of tasteless cardboard, the orange juice that came out of what was supposed to be a fruice dispenser was like dirty water on the first morning of our stay but on the second morning it was proper fruice orange juice, so obviously it was watered down beyond recognition on our first morning. I truly am very disappointed as were all my family because we have stayed here every year for our family holidays but I can honestly say NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank sarahmc2012
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed here for one night, on a business trip. We stayed in this hotel 30 years ago when our kids were small. At that time (I believe it was called the Killarney Ryan?) it was ideal for our needs and the kids were looked after exceptionally well, meaning we could relax and enjoy the trip also. It would appear that while the name has changed, little else has. This is a good thing. There were still lots of families with small kids and everyone seemed to be having a ball. There was a holiday atmosphere and, while I was on business, I was catered for but I could see the bus loads of tourists and families moving about and enjoying the facilities. The room was basic and the restaurant was basic but I wasn't looking for 5 star facilities and it suited my purpose.

Room Tip: This seems to be a good location if you have young kids. It's located on the Cork Road, on the o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business