“Worst nightmare”
Review of Hotel Killarney

Hotel Killarney
Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 7 August 2014

On entering you will notice that the place is more like a daycare than a hotel, this hotel has a lot of buildings and contains a large ammont of people , the hotel has a small pool that is full of small kids hyped up , most rooms have a 5 minute walk of confusing corridors and lifts from the reception, the hotel is also a far walk from the town, we got a refund after an hour here, don't stay here!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Cillian C
There are newer reviews for Hotel Killarney

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel messed up/lost our booking despite booking directly off their own website. Took an hour to finally get to our room. We were asked to wait in the lobby and were told 3 times that our room our be '10 mins'. My advice to management is if your are going to keep people waiting, offer them a comlementry tea or coffee from the bar, cost little or nothing but means a lot, it'd be a nice good will jesture!

No WiFi in the rooms, this is standard is most hotels these days, get with the game!

We were located on the third floor by the rear of the hotel, the room was far to hot, and the bed was dressed with a quilted duvet! Its the middle of summer, some lighter duvets would be more appropriate.

The beds were horrible, sore back all weekend. My girlfriend had no issue sleeping except for the heat so that might just be me.

The room was spotless and cleaned to a very high standard each morning by house keeping, well done. Some of the house keeping staff would be better suited to working the front desk, exceptionally welcoming and gave a great impression as they directed us to our room.

Breakfast was fine if you like the full Irish or cereal; the Continental selection didn't look great. I enjoyed mine! Long ques, get up there before 9 to avoid them. Nothing unusual here, most hotels have the same issue.

Bar food was grand, tasty and well priced. Bar staff and waitresses all did a good job. The bar doesn't serve Carlsberg and when I asked for an Erdinger or a Budweiser as an alternative they didn't serve those either! That's never happened in any bar I've ever been too, poor selection of drinks.

Kids, they are everywhere! The hotel market themselves as a child/family Hotel so you've no right to complain as I overheard a few other guests complaining. For couples, expect noise this is NOT a place for a romantic get away. For families, if you want to see Killarney, you are going to have problems getting your kids to leave, they have a huge choice of kids activities, they won't want to leave the hotel!

Free car parking.

Reasonable distance from town, about 20mins at a steady pace. There is a supermarket and off licence across the road so if you want to buy wine/beer or a sandwich for your room you get it much cheaper than ordering room service!

We stayed herr as a couple simply as this was the cheapest hotel in Killarney at the time of booking. The hotel was fine, nothing really impressed us, but nothing let us down either.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank ArraMusha
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I don't quite know where to start...i knew from the moment i made the phone reservation that all was not right!. I requested an email twice during our conversation to confirm my reservation {you would imagine that would be a fairly standard request} as i wanted to make sure they would include a cot for our 4 month old baby daughter & also that it was a "family suite" as opposed to a "family room" which had a separate kitchenette area which included a microwave & fridge, which are essentials for feeding a young baby. Off course no mail came so 2 days later i emailed both their reservation AND hotel email addresses asking for conformation,another 2 days went by & i received no reply!.
i decided to phone the hotel again, when the receptionist did eventually manage to find my reservation, thanks mainly to the fact i had written down the booking number, she said the booking was for 2 adults and 1 child, no i said, its for 2 adults & 2 children, 1 of which was a baby which is why i need conformation of the cot!. she said i would receive an email straight away...I received it, 24 hours later & no reference of the cot!}
Today, i received a phone call from the hotel informing me that due to water damage in some rooms {overflowing bath apparently!} they would not be able to offer me a family suite as per my booking, just a basic family room!!!
Despite me once again explaining my need for the kitchenette facilities & that surely not every family booking in would be in the same position, they were unable/not prepared to switch another family to a basic room, one could only assume they had actually overbooked!
I asked to speak to the manager but was told he's "coming & going" today.
When i phoned back an hour later i was told he's just not around!.
My mini break has been ruined by what i can only describe as sheer incompetence from start to finish & due to the lateness & the time of year i cant get a suitable hotel at such short notice.
the ONLY plus i can give them is the girl who called to give the bad news was quite pleasant!..i guess shes used to it!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 2 August 2014

WE stayed at this place in July during our drive around Ireland vacation. Booked originally since Feb. when was still a Quality Hotel but regretted our decision not to cancelled when Choice Hotels contacted us to inform us that this hotel was no longer part of their franchise. The place was dirty and the front desk very rude getting ice was nearly imposible,If you don't want your visit Ireland ruined don't stay here look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leticia408
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights here in a family room. Room was nice enough though v warm but I've come to expect this now with most hotels. The hotel staff very friendly and helpful. It's a great hotel for children. There was always something for them to do from crazy golf, dodgeball, games room, swimming pool to even a roller disco plus lots more. We found the buffet breakfast great which set us nicely for our treks around Killarney. A no frills hotel which is just what we wanted. We enjoyed our time here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dearbhla A
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here in july the week of the killarney races. 2 adults 2 kids in a family room. Not the biggest family room but spotless. Room cleaned every day. I do agree that the food is not to everyones taste. Breakfast was fine just the evening meals were v basic. Nothing to write home about. The kids entertainment was second to none. My son was in his element lots of activities for him he didnt want to leave the hotel and the music ar night was good too. Staff were excellent v friendly to us at all times. Can i say a big thank u to the manager mr moynihan.he came over to chat to us on our second night amd invited our daughter to play her fiddle with the music group that were playing at the hotel. Thank you!!!!! Its nice to still see the personal touch in our hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014
Aidan M, General Manager at Hotel Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear "sonollaois"

Thank you for your kind comments. It was a pleasure to meet you last week and I wish your daughter every success at the All Ireland Fleadh Cheoil in Sligo later this year. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Kind Regard

Aidan Moynihan

Reviewed 24 July 2014

From once I made our hotel reservation I had doubts about our stay. Following our initial reservation over the phone it took a few emails & phone calls to the hotel before I eventually received confirmation. Comments/requests made when making the booking & during a follow up phone call were not passed on.
Once we arrived we found all the staff to be really friendly, Garry on check in & & Peter on check out very very friendly & helpful but I felt so sorry for them, there appears to be only one staff member at the majority of times, when we were checking in the phone was ringing constantly & there didn't seem to be anyone available to answer it, it gets a bit irritating after awhile to be listening to the constant ring of a phone whilst trying to listen to someone. Any of the girls we dealt with in the restaurant were as equally friendly & polite.
Accommodation staff were very obliging & helpful in trying to sort the issue of us being given the incorrect type of room. I'm just sorry I didn't get their names to thank them properly. Dinner was ok, nothing major to praise, breakfast was ok, pending on what you wanted. There was one type of cheese on offer but no meat, so no continental choice. Toast was pre made white bread toast only & sat with hot breakfast buffet, the scrambled eggs were a very close resemblance to custard & I don't know what the over cooked triangular shape things were , I presume they were some sort of potato thing?
One of the biggest things I was disappointed with was the lack of leaflets or brochures on things to do in the area. There were a few on a table near reception but they included the events that were on July 4th (we checked in in on July 22nd) & some other event to be held in Aug. There wasn't one leaflet on places like Muckross House, Kenendys Pet farm or any of the major tourist things Killarney has to offer. At this day & age it's hard to believe that there isn't wifi available in the rooms but also none of the public computers were working during our 3 days/2 nights in the hotel.
Overall the facilities are good for children but the standard of service does seem to be slipping & I think part of this is due to staff shortage.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank tgri

Dear "tgri"

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to read your comments and please be assured that your feedback has been discussed at length with my team.

I and my Head Chef have committed to overseeing our breakfast service and the quality of food on a daily basis and will continue to do so until such time we are happy.

With regard to your feedback on staffing levels I can assure you that I have a full compliment of staff to deal with any situation.

However if you wish to discuss any aspect of your recent stay, please contact me directly at amoynihan@hotelkillarney.ie.

Kind Regards