“Big, busy, but good on the whole”
Review of Hotel Killarney

Hotel Killarney
Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
London, United Kingdom
“Big, busy, but good on the whole”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel is best set up to cater for families - there are day time activities for children, a pool with different depths separated by barriers - so no real space for seroius swimmers! The food was good, there was a great choice at breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful. I felt that there perhaps were not quite enough staff for the task at hand. We had to make three phone calls to reception to get a cot for our baby grandson, when we had ordered one in advance. Also, when we complained of what appeared to be a stale smoke smell in our suite, we were given a can of air freshener! I don't thnk the hotel did this because they didn't care, I think they did this because there were not enough staff to spend time sorting out the problem.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Aidan M, General Manager at Hotel Killarney, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear BilliR,

Thank you for your comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, I have taken your concerns on board with regard to staffing levels and I have looked at both areas you have mentioned. I would like to Thank you again for staying with us and taking the time to review the Hotel.

Aidan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Westmeath
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed for a week in July. With kids from aged 7 to 2, we have stayed in several 'family friendly' properties. This one was by far, the kids favourite. While we didn't avail of all of the activities on offer (we wanted to spend SOME time with the kids) the kids had a ball. The animal roadshow was a favourite and the pool and the playground were a great hit. The family suite we stayed in was perfect for us and gave us great space and comfort when we were staying for so many nights. Very well situated for visiting Muckross, Killarney National Park and Torc Waterfall we spent very little time in the car which was great. A must if travelling with kids.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mumoftwoWestmeath
Dear mumoftwoWestmeath,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel, I am delighted to see that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and the Beautiful Town of Killarney,

I look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel again in the future and Thank You for staying with us,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is a very suitable hotel if you're staying with young kids with great activities and an excellent swimming pool. There's crazy gold and sporting activities for free and playground and equipment all on site.
The staff we dealt with were efficient and polite. If you're not fond of kids running around corridors it's probably not for you, but this is particularly significant here, as getting to our room meant we had to navigate four corridors of bedrooms no matter what lift we used. We were lucky to be on the fourth floor so it wasn't too noisy.
Plenty of parking on site and the location is great for access out to Killarney golf club, Carrantouhill or the Ring of Kerry. Room was spacious and clean but no heating control other than a window that only opens very slightly. Water pressure on shower was good, but I didn't investigate wifi.
Breakfast was fine - come early while the latenighters are sleeping it off...

Room Tip: If you don't have kids, avoid in peak season. If you want a quiet room - go for top floor
Dear Tony Dublin_Ireland,

I would like to Thank You for your review and I would also like to Thank You for staying with us, I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and the facilities we have to offer,

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future,

Offaly
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We booked the hotel last minute as we were doing the ring of kerry and planned to stay in Killarney for one night on our travels. We travled as 5 adults. Rooms while well serviced and dated, basic and in need of repair. Mazes of corridors to get to reception. We had two quad rooms opposite each other. Ours over looked the playrground where children were playing well into the early hours and making noise again from 7am. Walls are paper thin. Children running up and down corrridors all night and parents roaring down the hallways after them. Huge queue to get into breakfast room. Queues for food. Dinner food from bar menu over priced €10.95 for a chicken sandwich. We could see our drinks on the bar for a good 10mins before they were served to us and there was a dead fly in my drink.
Not a good place for adults.
I stayed in the Brehon before for a similar price and it was far superior.
Hotel is very bad value.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Aidan M, General Manager at Hotel Killarney, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Anon A,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am disappointed to see you didn't enjoy your stay with us, I take all feedback in a constructive way and if you would like to contact me on amoynihan@hotelkillarney.ie I would be delighted to speak with you,

I look forward to hearing from you,

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had the " homemade"
Double burger meal for €16.99 and onion rings for €3. I asked the waitress is it actually homemade to which she replied most definitely yes.
Which ever home the burger was made i wouldn't like to live in it as it was tasteless , chewy and most definitely out of a packet . The onion rings out of a packet as well which were half cooked and cold . The cheese on the burger was so overcooked and dry it looked like chewing gum picked up off the road outside
The breakfast the following morning - reheated sausages, bacon and puddings . The hash browns tasted really bad .

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Dmmoran
Dear Dmmoran,

Thank you for posting your review, I am disappointed you didn't enjoy your dining experiences while staying at Hotel Killarney, I would like to discuss it further with you so if you could contact me at amoynihan@hotelkillarney.ie I would be delighted to speak with you,

As you didn't make comment on the rest of your stay I'm expecting that you enjoyed the rest of our facilities,

I look forward to hearing from you

Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The hotel is very basic and more like a holiday camp than a city centre hotel. The rooms whilst basic are clean and functional, but it is the size of the hotel that overwhelms you, it can be a good
5 minute walk from your room to reception through a maze of corridors.
There were queues to book in, queues for breakfast and queues to book out at the end of the stay. It is an ideal establishment for people with children as they are well catered for but not the kind of relaxing place we were hoping for, In the evenings the bar area is overcrowded and very noisy.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Moterman 174

I am sorry the Hotel was not to your liking, you are correct in saying we have a very large Hotel which caters very well for Families, In the off season we do not have as many children staying in the Hotel and I'm sure you would enjoy it, If you would like to stay here again at any stage please feel free to contact me directly at amoynihan@hotelkillarney.ie and I would be delighted to welcoming you to the hotel.

newbridge
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for a few days in August, booked a family suite and this was fantastic for the space it provides, large kitchen sitting area as well as a separate bedroom.

The kids activities were brilliant, mine really enjoyed it, not so much for teenagers to do as I would have thought. but certainly for younger ones. The one thing I noticed is that some of the activities left the children waiting a long time with some of them being disappointed at not getting a turn and not enough safety equipment and faulty helmets etc., for the go karting.

The check in staff were good but bit slow on checking in, The waiting staff for bar food were not the quickest or friendliest especially the staff in the purple shirts. Bar food nice.

Entertainment every night was good, rooms were clean if not a bit shabby in areas like worn chairs.

Breakfast is a must to get there early and there was one particular member of staff who seated people waiting who never had a smile or a good morning for anyone. but he waiting staff were quite helpful , do not be afraid to order a fried or poached egg as the scrambled eggs are awful, also the sausages not great, quite a basic buffet breakfast.

All in all enjoyed my stay still as the kids were happy and if they are happy then that's half the battle on a break.

Room Tip: also make sure to ask for a room in the newer part, my sister was put in an older room and grotty wa...
1 Thank suzdow
Dear Suzdow,

I was delighted to see you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, Thank you for taking the time to post this review and I have noted some of the points you made with regard to some staff and the scrambled egg.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future,