“Great welcome comfortable B&B”
Review of Maureens B&B

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Maureens B&B
Ranked #31 of 53 Tralee B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Great welcome comfortable B&B”
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We were recommended this B&B by the B&B across the street and we were well satisfied with the change. The accommodation was spotlessly clean with all the usual facilities. SKy TV was available in a very pleasant TV lounge downstairs. We were greeted with a nice cup of tea and biscuits anf the breakfast the next morning was excellent. We did not need lunch that day!!

She recommended an excellent retaurant, Porters, which provide good food at a very reasonable price.(she even had a sample menu to show us). The hotel across the road whilst very pleasant was very expensive.

Although we were on a main road the B&B was well insulated and quiet!! Well rcommended!!

• Liked — The accommodation and the beds
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank NIRS3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dublin
Reviewed 9 August 2008

My mother, my sister and I stayed with Maureen earlier this month. We travelled from Dublin on a girls weekend.
Maureens had been recommended to me by a friend.
Maureen greeted us on arrival with coffee and biscuits.
She was most helpful with making suggestions on how to spend our weekend, where to eat , etc.
Her house is a credit to her, its so clean and welcoming.
It has a lovely hotel just across the road which was so handy for us. We really enjoyed our stay in Maureens. She is a lovely warm kind woman and she was no nice to us and helpful to my mother (who can be fussy). Also the breakfast was top class.
She offered us a great selection of food, but we stuck with the traditional irish breakfast ,which was delicious and well presented with loads of warm toast, tea and coffee.
If we are ever back in Tralee there is only one place I would stay and thats at Maureens.

• Liked — The beds were so comfortable and the food was fantastic
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank DublinJoanna71
Ireland
Reviewed 11 July 2008

I stayed in Maureens in June of this year with my husband and two kids. I must say we had an excellent stay and found Maureen to be very kind and helpful to us at all times.
She made us tea and cake when we arrived and made us very welcome. She has a lovely home in an excellent location.
I find the last ladys review very hard to believe as our experience was totally the opposite. We cant wait to go back.

• Liked — The Hostess
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank IrelandSiobhan
Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 14 June 2008

I booked my first and second stay at Maureen's back in March 2008, the first for 6 people/4 rooms including 2 singles for May for 3 nights, the second for 3 singles in June for 3 nights. Maureen assured me before arriving, when I sent a confirmation e-mail, that the first rsvn for 4 rooms was set.

However, when we arrived we were given 3 rooms instead, and told with a shrug it was a mistake that could not be rectified. I suspected she'd booked additional guests in the extra room to make extra money but I let it drop and we made the best of it. Other than that, the initial stay was satisfactory enough.

However, I'd booked a second visit for 3 days to accommodate two friends flying in from France June 2008 on their very first visit to Ireland, who wanted to see Kerry. Despite confirming several times that we had three single rooms booked, I was careful, considering what happened the first time, to send a cheery, final confirmation four days prior to our arrival.

To my dismay, a mere 18 hours prior to our planned arrival, I got a cursory e-mail from her that she was sorry, she couldn't honor our rsvn and that I should contact the tourist board for other suggestions.

Here it was the height of season and despite having my personal contact info, she had not bothered to telephone me, instead clearly not caring if I got her cancellation or not which, considering how last minute it was, was incredibly unprofessional and utterly thoughtless. I was stunned as I'd been sure to leave on excellent terms on the prior visit.

Maureen did not indicate she'd made any attempt to secure us alternate accommodations, merely suggested I call the tourist bureau to for suggestions on other places to stay. Since her e-mail arrived after the tourist bureau closed on the Thursday, we would have had to call Friday morning for 3 rooms starting that night for the weekend in high season.

We could not find accommodations despite talking to many lovely B&B owners who each referred us to subsequent possibilities. It was the opinion of two of these B&B owners who knew her that she'd likely dumped us in favor of double room bookings which would bring her in an extra 30 euros per room per night. After what I'd suspected on our first visit, this supposition seemed likely.

Frankly, considering I was repeat business from the month before and her assurances that she was looking forward to my return, I was disgusted by her indifference to ruining our holiday. Needless to say, my friends arrived from France only to have to give up the focal point of their trip as there were no reservations to be found for a Fri-Sun night in June anywhere that we called, from Cork to Kerry.

I could never in good conscience recommend a hostess who could be so cavalier about canceling reservations made months in advance without so much as a single call made to help us secure alternate accommodations. Her indifference was appalling. I'm just glad this is not typical of my Irish B&B experiences as my stays in other B&B accommodations have never been less than delightful. Maureen has a lot to learn.

• Disliked — being stood up!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank smg2ct

Travellers are raving about these Tralee hotels

Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2008

I read many reviews about Maureen's before I left for Ireland but for some reason I can not find them now. So I wanted to make sure that I let people know that this was the best B & B I stayed at during my whole trip. Maureen is lovely and a good cook. She is a great host. Our room was large and most of all CLEAN. The bed was the most comfortable of all those I slept in while on my trip in Ireland.

Maureen has two wonderful little dogs that stay in the private quarters. They were as gracious as Maureen, once I convinced her to let them out so I could pet them.

I would highly recommend this B&B it is in a nice area of Tralee off a main road so it was easy to find. Adequate parking off the street. Close enough to walk through town and shop at the town centre. Tralee is a beautiful town with lots to see and do and it couldn't be done better any where but Maureen's.

Stayed March 2008