“A castle experience”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Westerville, Ohio
“A castle experience”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was so excited to spend our 15th anniversary in an Irish castle. It was quite the experience. We stayed in the Allingham junior suite, and it was beautiful. However, it's an old castle, complete with old castle smells that aggravated our allergies. Both breakfast and dinner were very good. I'm glad we had the castle experience, but I probably would not stay again. I would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in an Irish castle.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
baytownbear
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We celebrated our daughter's 12th birthday with a night here and dinner in the restaurant. Our rooms in the lodge were the best on our Irish holiday. Beautiful and large. The dinner was very good. Everyone seemed very happy to be there and ready to meet our needs.

Stayed July 2014
Thunder Bay
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I feel torn about this place. The castle itself is wonderful, all the different rooms on the main floor are all decorated so nicely and the staff and service was amazing, but I was disappointed in my room. I did choose to book a less expensive room, so maybe I shouldn't have been as disappointed as I was. We had the Japanese themed room and upon entry the room smelled very musty. The windows were wide open and we were able to leave them open during our whole stay, but I would hate to imagine what the room smelt like if they had to be closed all the time. There was Japanese themed stick-ons on the wall, but many of them were peeling off the wall and you could see where they had been re-glued or something in the past. In the bathroom, there was a nail stuck in the wall as a place to hang your towel. The carpet was bubbling up from the floor as well. I know the building is quite old, so the musty smell and an old carpet is to be expected, but upon looking at the pictures of the place, many of the other rooms looked exquisite. My advice if you are planning on staying here would be to stay away from the "cosy" rooms. Stay here, but if you are able to afford it, go for a nice room. Everything else about this place is great like the garden area, the ponies in the front of the yard and the public spaces, but the room was a let down. We also got the B&B combo and the breakfast was delicious every day! A hot breakfast is also an option and is included in the price. And we also had the five course dinner in the dining room and it was the best meal that we ate in Ireland during our two week stay in the country. But stay away from the pop/soda in the bar with your hard liquor. The little bottles are three Euros each!

1 Thank For_Deb
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I guess I just expected more staying in a castle. It was more like staying in a mid range hotel. There was nothing amazing about the place other than it was a castle and had a couple of nice suits of armor. Service could greatly improve as no one relly went out of their way to welcome us. I would get rid of the keys for room entry, as they were loud and cumbersome as we heard our neighbor trying to enter their room.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I gave my partner a night here as his Christmas present. He absolutely loved every minute of it. The castle, the grounds, the staff, the breakfast - nothing could be faulted unless you were very, very fussy. A treat for anyone..

Room Tip: Only draw back was we were on the upper floor - No 3. But the view was worth the hike up the stairs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
missouri
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed one night in a two bed room that was very spacious with huge windows. The bathroom was large, but not huge. Everything was very clean. The staff was very friendly. The Castle was decorated according to how one would think it should look. it was old elegance at it's best. The entry had two stone lions that made for great photos. We enjoyed a very tasty dinner. This Castle is small so we noticed some of the staff were pulling different jobs to make sure we had a quality stay. After dinner we were given a tour and they told us ghost stories. The wolfhound baying at the moon later was, i'm sure unplanned, but it was a wonderful touch. It was a great experience and I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 123456789customer10
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I went for lunch with my mother, sister, brother and niece today. Firstly, it was such a lovely quiet atmosphere with nice music in the background. We went to pull seats together to sit at an available table in the bar when our waitress whose name was Esther showed us to another dining area which was far more suitable - perfect.

Esther was so nice and attentive. My three hear old niece got special attention the whole time and was thrilled. The food we ordered was fabulous, no complaints from any of us.

Overall, our afternoon was gorgeous. We gave a little walk around the lovely lawns afterwards to wrap up our lunch trip. I can only imagine how amazing staying in the hotel would be. Well done all. Gorgeous hotel!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tralee
Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#7 of 38 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,065 reviews

Been to Ballyseede Castle? Share your experiences!