“Beautiful location, wonderful staff, and nice rooms.”
Review of Ballyseede Castle

Ballyseede Castle
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in a castle room and had a wonderful stay. The view out the back is amazing. Just greenery and mountains out the back. Really helped to feel like you were away from it all.

The staff was just fantastic. Personable and really seemed to enjoy hosting guests.

The room was really nice. Good size and wonderfully appointed. Though it was warm (for Ireland) the days we were there, and the room had no air conditioning, the large windows opened and kept the room nicely cooled down.

About the only negative thing I could say is, nights when there are weddings/receptions/etc, it can be quite noisy as they party goers/children tend to spill into near the sleeping areas very late into the morning hours. Can make sleeping a bit tough at times due to the noise. That said, we were there during the peak for hosting events, so may not be like that during most of the remaining year.

Other than that, just a beautiful stay, and small note, maybe 5 minutes away by car is a little shopping center that is very convenient, and has a large Tesco if you wanted to pick up supplies for a picnic or whatever.

Really just a beautiful place, and wonderfully staffed. I'll remember my view out the room's window for some time indeed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seminole_kev
There are newer reviews for Ballyseede Castle

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I loved this place. It was well maintained and the grounds and garden were stunning. They also have two resident castle dogs that roam around and are so friendly, my kids loved them. I loved the history of the place and how well they preserved it. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a must visit when traveling to Ireland. The accommodations are wonderful and the staff couldn't have been more friendly. Esther helped us with places to go, maps brochures and was an overall treasure. The food was wonderful as well.

Room Tip: There are only around 48 rooms at the Castle. Ours and the couple we traveled with were beautiful!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mommomjune
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Beautiful location and an amazing setting, this is down the road from where i grew up and every time I am back in home from Australia, I love to visit the small cosy bar, sit back and relax with a beer. A site that is easily missed but you will miss out if you don't stop by.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my girlfriend. Very expensive at €215 for one night b&b but wonderful experience. We stayed in the Yeats Room which was nothing short of spectacular as was our first impression of the exterior and interior of this fabulously kept hotel. The furnishings and ambiance were perfect. The receptionist lady at check in (apologies for forgetting the name) was lovely and helpful. And Ester made us feel very welcome and added to a warm arrival. If I was to be meticulous, the man at reception on our departure was quite uninterested, I expect more when paying €215 a night, but appreciate everyone has their bad days. Garden area was very beautiful as are the sitting rooms, bar and dining areas. Bursting with character and provide a unique period stay experience.

Unfortunately we stayed while a wedding Reception was taking place so the foyer was noisy and overcrowded for a lot of the evening. (Although the three piece strings ensemble there for the wedding was impressive).

The breakfast was lovely. Initially I was somewhat disappointed with the buffet of pastries, cerial, yogurt, fruits etc... no cold meats and the bread selection could have been better. However the breakfast menu was lovely. My girlfriend got the omelette and I the full Irish. They were well presented and very well cooked. Other options on the menu included pancakes, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, irish oats porridge and more. The stone room where breakfast was served was amazing and dining staff very nice with impressive etiquette. Overall a great breakfast with a few areas to improve slightly.

The Yeats Room was beautiful (see uploaded pictures) but for €215 i wouldn't expect less. Very comfortable bed, beautiful antiques decorating the room with lovely views of front gardens, ponys and donkeys. Full of character.

Had a game of chess in the front room. Beautifully decorated, creating a wonderful Victoria/Edwardian atmosphere. Again the noise of the wedding party was a little off putting but nice to have so much life about the hotel all the same. The chess pieces NEED to be REPLACED. Such a beautiful room should not fall short of perfection due to cheap unmatched pieces. Amazing art and a lovely grand piano in decent working order also add the charm of the room.

Free tea and coffee (nice filtered coffee at that) was a lovely touch. We had it in the small dining room or sitting room. Lovely cups and saucers and a very positive feature overall offered by the hotel.

It was a struggle to pick between very good and excellent. The price was steep even for a Saturday (August Bank Holiday). However given the brilliant attention to detail and the sheer character this castle has to offer the experience really was excellent.

I will certainly return, maybe off season at hopefully at lower rate.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were warmly welcomed and though our room was downstairs, it was a warm pleasant stay. This point in our trip it was nice to be away form the hustle and bustle of the city and we were able to enjoy a quiets evening and a fine breakfast before heading off to our next destination. We had a little trouble finding the castle and it is secluded! Great place to hold a wedding however!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had our wedding at Ballyseede Castle on 31st May. I could not say enough about this place,it was a dream come true for me!
I was fairly particular about the wedding and wanted my guests to have a really enjoyable experience. They truly did. Every guest complimented the food,staff and rooms. The wedding meal was fantastic. The wedding morning was great fun as we had breakfast together in the stone room and Joe (staff) took photos and gave dad the paper to read etc. Great attention to detail! Joes sister also was serving us and she assured me all would be fine for the day and even showed me a pic on her phone that she had put the child of Prague out for me the night before. They really treat you like you are the first wedding they are having there! They make you feel so special!
We stayed in the lodge which is fantastically decorated and ideal for the wedding morning prep! At 11.30, Rory came down to the lodge with sandwiches, tea, crisps and a bottle of Champagne for the wedding party. Marnie arrived before we left and helped Mam with the tying of the dress and showed Dad and I some tips for walking down the aisle, we were delighted to get a practice run in before the actual walk! She stayed with me until I was in the wedding car and even checked my teeth for lipstick marks! It made me feel like I had a wedding planner. It was great as I was so cool and calm as a result. After the ceremony, we arrived back to the venue and everyone was in the garden getting champagne and canapés, it was beautiful. Marnie brought my husband and I into the green room and closed the door, they gave us a glass of champagne and some canapés and gave Paul wipes for his shoes (we had taken pics at the beach so there was sand everywhere!). The wedding coordinator and Marnie emptied sand from my shoes, hair sprayed my hair, sprayed me with deodorant and picked seaweed from the tulle layer under my dress. They were both fantastic, they led us down to the room to see the tables, and we got a photo with cake. They also led us out to the garden to meet the guests. The bell rang when they said it would which I was happy with.
We asked them to play a song for our entrance into the room which they did and Rory introduced us. The wedding coordinator led us up to the top table and immediately took off the mother of bride, bridesmaids and my shoes and gave us soft fluffy slippers. We were so glad of this, Marnie took my mams hat and sprayed her hair. They were on top of everything.
The afters food was lovely and there was plenty of it. Residents bar was still going strong at 5am.
The next day they gave us any left over cake and flowers for the BBQ
we were having in a local pub. I could not recommend this venue enough, if want a fairytale wedding with fantastic staff, food and accommodation, this is the only place for you.
In would like to thank Marnie and Rory for their professionalism. I really want to thank Joe and his sister Esther. They made the wedding morning for me, they are so helpful and attentive and many of my guests mentioned them to me. Lovely people. They really are an asset to the place.
The dogs are lovely and are a real talking point for guests. I have to recommend the apple tart for desert. We tasted it when having lunch and asked if there was any chance we could have it for the wedding dessert. The guests are still talking about it along with the steak. One guest said to the waitress that he was disappointed that be had ordered the fish after seeing the steak and she said no problem and got him the steak instead! That's the type of place this is! Fantastic

Stayed: May 2014