“Very nice wake up early for breakfast if you like pastries!”
Review of Ballyseede Castle

Ballyseede Castle
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Stayed at this hotel for one night as my partner treated me. Waited a while for the staff to check us in and seemed very abrupt. We atyed in the Osborne suite and had a four poster bed which was fabulous. The room was filled with lovely old furniture and the bathroom was nice and modern. Had one of the best nights sleep ever, the bed was that comfortable. The only disappointment was breakfast. We went at 8.30am which isn't very late and all the croissants, pastries, juice etc had all gone with nothing to replace them. Upon further searching the Americans had decided to deposit them all on their tables and use them as lunch for later which I find unwholesome. Different cultures I expect. Apart from that was a wonderful stay and the dogs in the ground are lovely the Irish Wolfhound was almost as tall as I am!

Reviewed 2 May 2010

We had a one night stay on our way up to Adare, hotel and grounds were beautiful, particularly in a rare bout of April Irish sunshine... our room was wonderfully furninshed, I am someone with a preference for a view though and being on the lower ground we missed out on that. Dinner and breakfast were both excellent, place has a homely feel with the dogs about as well. Very enjoyable, Tralee a bit of a let down though.

Reviewed 1 May 2010

Balleyseede Castel was our first stop during a week in Ireland. Lovely grounds, common area and bedroom. Breakfasts were great! Many choices-hot breakfast, not just a buffet. The library bar was fun. Our room was spacious and charming. I loved the views from the 2nd floor. The only negative aspect is that if a wedding is booked-plan on searching for a parking space. This hotel should have reserved spaces for guests.

Reviewed 15 April 2010

Spent one night here on Good Friday.

Upgraded to a superior twin and had a corner room on top floor with two double beds.

Decorations tasteful but carpeting looking a bit worn and shabby.

My mom's favorite part was having two dogs around. Arthur the Irish Wolfhound and his sidekick Einstein, a Basset mix. Einstein is by far the more personable of the two. If you need s dog fix, here's your place, but it's a bit pricey even for the dogs! If you're allergic to dogs be aware they rule the public areas.

Tea in the piano parlor was nice, but lacked a personal touch. Not sure if the plate of five biscuits were for us alone or if we were supposed to share them.

Wifi (free) throughout, but doesn't always reach to the corner rooms.

Wish they had kettles/coffee/tea facilities in each room. It would take the chill out when getting up in the morning and the radiators aren't on.

Bartender in library bar very friendly and knowledgable about the property. Wonderful soup!

Breakfast was nice but I thought when I ordered Eggs Benedict I'd get more than one egg, especially given how large the Irish breakfasts are. It was tasty, though.

When I checked out I was automatically billed in US $ on my credit card-never asked my preference. When I said I wanted to pay in Euros I was told it was too late. This caused me to be overcharged about $10 since they added a currency conversion charge to my bill. Had I been billed in Euros I wouldn't have had it as my credit card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. I'm not happy about being nickel and dined when I'm already paying €179/night.

The grounds are nice and I imagine it's lovely in the summer for weddings, etc.

Be aware walls are very thin. Overheard couple across the hall having sex and another couple down the hall yelling at each other!

Overall we had a fun castle stay in the huge Crosby room, but keep your wits and wallet about you!

Reviewed 13 April 2010

We held my 40th birthday party at this most beautiful castle. From the moment you drive in the large gates, and proceed towards the castle along the beautiful tree lined driveway, you know you are in a special place. The management and staff were very efficient and easy to deal with. We only had to say something once, and it was done. No request was too big nor small. We were so delighted with everything – The service, the gorgeous room with the champagne reception, the way the tables were laid out in the stone room was exceptionally beautiful, the décor with the white chairs, the candles, the flowers - the food (everyone commented on how beautiful the food was!), and the service – we found everyone to be most professional and extremely courteous to us adn our children. It was lovely to just walk in, and have everything done so beautifully and how we wanted.

As it was a function that we booked, I did not see the bedrooms, but judging by the rest of the hotel, I am certain that they would be top class. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody thinking of getting married/private functions.

Many thanks to the Marnie and Rory, Lisa, Sandra and all the staff for this most wonderful night.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Ballyseede Castle was our 5th stop in a 2 week trip to Ireland in November 2009 - during the worst storm in over 100 years, we're told. Arriving from a wet, flooded sojourn through Killarney (no Ross Castle for us, I'm afraid) I was extremely curious to see what our first castle hotel of the trip would hold. From our initial greeting from Einsten, the adorable corgi/jack russell/who knows what else pup to seeing the relaxing bathtub in our room, our welcome couldn't have been better. The hotel was quiet and extremely convenient for both a drive into Killarney and/or dinner at a pub in Tralee. The only thing that could have been better is if we stayed longer. We'll be making a return trip to Ireland in 2012 with my mom and I'll definitely be making a reservation here!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Great experience! The hotel and rooms are beautiful. Very clean and spatious. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and always readily available to answer our many questions while planning our day trips. Breakfast was very good and absolutely loved the library bar for a relaxing way to unwind from a day of driving.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends