“Food not up to sandard”

The Earl of Desmond Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Recently went to the Earl of Desmond with my wife. My wife chose stir fry chicken which although looked ok was much too spicy, but the worst meal was my meal which was Indian beef curry, unfortunately the beef was cubed in approx 15mm squares and although there was a lot of meat the sauce it was in was not authentic at all, kind of after a few mouthfuls was beginning to feel sick. Have been to this hotel before and tried cod and chips hoping for fresh cod in batter but got frozen fish in batter maybe from the local supermarket. So 2 meals for me neither of which was up to standard.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gregory H
There are newer reviews for The Earl of Desmond Hotel

Reviewed 1 June 2012

This is not a hotel as we know hotels to be in Ireland. It's like a boarding house full of rules and regulations. Big signs in the rooms warning you not to smoke, tell you breakfast is until 10am SHARP. Checkout is 11 which in itself is usual but warning it you don't leave by then you will be charged 50% of the next days rate. Dinner is between 7pm and 8pm again this did not make for a relaxing experience it advertises on the website. Some of the staff are rude, I was abused by 1 of the bar staff when I expressed my frustration of how long I was waiting to be served at the bar while people who just arrived were served instantly.
The rooms are very old and worn. The beds are uncomfortable. The light fitting in the ceiling was full of dead flies and this seemed to be the same in other rooms as my parents had the same problem in their room. The rooms are musty and we had a huge damp patch in the ceiling. The pictures and mirrors are screwed to the walls. We felt like we were an inconvience rather than a guest.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rose3243
Reviewed 25 May 2012

although we were not in our room for most of the day, the entertainent, menu and general atmosphere of the hotel was aimed at the german visitor so much so that there was no sign of an english flag but 1 irish, 1 euro and 1 german were present. following problems in our room and seeing empty more stylish and updated emply rooms we asked ro be move, no luck as those rooms were allocated to you guessed it german guests. i have no problem with the fact they may pay more, but surley all guests are important. i will not be using this hotel again. our coach trip and driven were excellent which made the trip bearable

Room Tip: book a uk frienly hotel not this one
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank carole v
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Dear Reader ,Please see below copy of a letter i sent to the owner of the Hotel.

Dear Mr White,

I hope that all is well with you and that you are enjoying a busy season. It is great to see the “Earl” buzzing like the good old days. I am writing to tell you of my most recent experiences at your hotel, I am not sure if you are aware but a sister of mine Melissa Cronin held her wedding reception in The Earl of Desmond Hotel on Saturday 19th of May. I know from working in hospitality that it is more often the negative comments we hear and as we had such a fantastic experience at your hotel I decided to take the time to put my thanks and appreciation on paper.
As you may know at least half of my family have had the pleasure of working at your hotel at some point and time, so when my sister decided to get married there was no discussion as to where the wedding reception would be.
From the day the wedding was booked right up to and including the day after the wedding Colm could not do enough, his professionalism, integrity, attention to detail and his impeccable standards make him a very valuable member of your team. Not only did he make our families welcome but extended a very warm welcome to all our neighbours and friends. The personal attention received by Colm is something that is missing in a lot of hotels, this is what makes the Earl in my opinion one of Kerry’s best wedding venues. Colm delivered on all he had promised and was at all times very confident of the hotel and the product. I cannot go any further without complimenting the hotel on its food, Your Head Chef Gerry Flynn and his team have to be commended for the fantastic food. The quality of the food served at the wedding is something to be proud of. It was the best wedding meal that I have had in many years and not just me the feedback that we have received is phenomenal. Top class food together with a very high level of service is what made the day a success. I have found the quality of food at the hotel well ahead of your nearest competitors and often visit for Sunday lunch.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Mark your General Manager who could not have done enough for us his professionalism and advice was greatly appreciated. I would also like for you to pass on my words of thanks to Mrs Bradley who set up the wedding and ensured that every little detail was taken care of. It is impossible to thank everyone by name but every last member of staff that we encountered was friendly professional and nothing was too much trouble from the bar staff to reception to breakfast the next morning and a very special thank you to Michael your bar manager.I would have to doubt that you will have repeat business from what was a very memorial occasion for our family. My other sister Mary Kate has already booked your hotel for next year for her special day. It is great to see investment in such hard times and I would like to wish you many more years of success.

Room Tip: I attended alot of weddings here including my own and is by far Kerrys best Wedding Venue
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Theeurope
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed with coach party from North Wales.Apart from first night when we were in room on top floor,the next day we were as promised ,moved to a lovely room on lower floor,we came back from a day out and our luggage had been removed ,so all good.Hotel is in lovely grounds,Bet its lovely in summer !Staff were all pleasant,and worked very hard,especially in restaurant,because hotel was full,but food was always served with a smile,always hot and no waiting,couldnt do more than that.All in all a very enjoyable stay !

Room Tip: rooms on top floor do not have lift access
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank sandra t
Reviewed 22 April 2012

spent four nights at the earl of desmond hotel in mid-april. the standard of the room was good, as was the performance of the staff. however three things bugged me: 1. our party was allocated certain tables on the first night and told that these would be ours for the duration of the stay. not a bit of it, we were chopped and changed over the following three days without explanation. 2. the meals were below par in terms of both quantity and quality in comparison with other similarly star-rated hotels i have stayed in. 3. the entertainment advertised was, with one exception, not really 'entertainment' but background sounds renedered by either a solo guitarist/singer or a keyboards/singer - neither of whom generated much enthusiasm with their audiences. the last night was much better - a local folk and dance group. in respect of items one and three above, i tackled the manager about them and was given as an explanation that german visitors were calling the tune because they were paying more for their stays so their preferences took precedence over other coach parties' requirements. i've no plans to return to this hotel until this apparent discrimination is scrapped.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank paul g
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed here at the hotel for a Ball last November. The room was beautifully decorated and modern, also lovely and clean. Staff were friendly, food was lovely. All in all a very pleasant stay.
I only have one complaint - even though we were there for a Ball, they shut the bar at 11.45pm!! Not only that, but they also closed the Residents Bar!! We could not believe our eyes, we all rushed up to the bar and bought a stock of drinks to keep us going for a couple of hours. We weren't planning on staying up all night, but would have at least expected the bar to stay open until 2am! We were cleared out of the function room, so took our drinks to the Reception area. One of our party members is a professional piano player, but the staff locked the piano in reception and wouldn't give out the key. Then 2 members of our party went to their rooms to get a guitar and keyboard - the staff wouldn't let them bring them back down to reception! While we may sound like drunken larger louts who didn't know when to go to bed, we were all actually very sober, and it was the majority of the people who attended the ball that wanted to carry on for a little while, not just a few of us!! Ironically, if they had kept the Residents Bar open, I'm pretty sure with the volume of people that wanted to stay up, one person's wages would have been paid 3 times over in the space of a couple of hours.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends