“Surprised by standard of Hotel”

The Earl of Desmond Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Surprised by standard of Hotel”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We booked a coach trip with National Holidays (been with them many times) to SW Ireland visiting Killarny Tralee and the Dingle peninsular.Some of the hotels used by the company that we have previously experienced have been average at the best.However this hotel surprised us with the space and cleanliness.The room ( no 145) that we were allocated had been modenised recently.It was spacious with good storage facilities and overlooked the well kept gardens.
The dining room was large but the staff were great and served the 4 course evening meal and cleared away quickly and with smiles all round.
The lobby was large with comfortable chairs and a super quick free WiFi.
I wold rate this as one of the better 3* hotels used by this particular coach company

Room Tip: Chose a room on the first floor.These are a good size and have been modernised recently.
4 Thank Bill R
NorellaMansfield, Manager at The Earl of Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2014
Dear Bill R,

Many thanks for your recent review of the Earl of Desmond hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments regarding our Restaurant staff, which we have passed onto them.

We hope to welcome you back to the Earl of Desmond in the future,

Kind Regards,
Norella Mansfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This review like always is based on how much I paid for the holiday.

My wife and I thought it was about time to go back over the sea to Ireland and let someone else do the driving. We booked the 5 day trip but to be honest that was a mistake, 5 days is not long enough to do the area justice. The trip across ran smoothly and our driver Terry got his coach through gaps some car drivers would not attempt.

We arrived at the Earl of Desmond Hotel at 9pm to be guided into dinner. After dinner it was time to pick our key up and head for our room. Room 243 on the first floor, yes it's the American floor numbering, with ground floor being the first floor and the second floor being the first and so on. Our room faced the rear garden ( I did ask for a quite room) had a single bed and a double one. The room itself was bigger then most with a full width window it was very light and airy. We had a bath with a overhead shower. Tea and coffee is included in the rooms.

The evening meals are a choice of 3 starters, mains and sweets with a veggie option if asked for. I'm enclosing a copy of one of the menus. With 6 coaches in every night we was given an allotted time for our meal times. It did work very well and better them some I've visited. Breakfast was the usual help yourself thing.

We had entertainment every night which was good and Irish based. plenty of bar staff so no queuing at the bar, always a bonus in my eyes. The hotel is 5 km (3 miles in old money) from Tralee. The hotel staff will order a taxi if needed. The cost being around 14 Euros each way maybe not so cheap.

We had trips out every day with Terry (all in the price) all being very good, if the weather is good the trip would be excellent.

OK time for a little nick-picking.

Why do people bang hotel room doors? Yes ours would not close quietly, so I used the key to closed the door so it did not bang. All it would take is someone to oil the lock now and again to help with this. On one of the days out we returned to find our room door left open by housekeeping. This is unexceptable and I did report it to front of house staff.

The toilets next to bar are spotless but beware the water comes out of the basin taps at a force that puts a fireman host to shame. If your not carful you can leave the gents looking like you've pee yourself.

Would I use this hotel again? You bet I would.

I'll end by thanking the hotel staff for a very pleasant 4 night stay and to Terry and National Holidays for yet another good break.

3 Thank ian480
NorellaMansfield, Manager at The Earl of Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear ian480,

Many thanks for your recent review of the Earl of Desmond Hotel.

We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and thank you for your kind comments regarding your break.

I have spoken to the Head of Housekeeping and to our maintenance team to ensure that the negative points you have raised have been fully addressed.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future, there is so much more to see in the South West!!

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We've just returned from a 5-day trip with National Holidays to County Kerry, Ireland.
We've never had a bad holiday with National Holidays yet, but this trip was by far the best we've enjoyed so far.
The journey was uneventful apart from the onboard entertainment on the outbound ferry between 2 different lots of big fat Irish gypsy-wedding candidates - set of slappers!
The driver, Terry, was good fun, informative and helpful.
The hotel was said to be dated - not in my opinion, though. Pleasant decor, the rooms were well kept and clean, the dining room staff were very helpful, cheerful but professional and friendly.
The whole trip was relaxing, there was no rush and push to get anywhere; the scenery was magnificent - down, in the main, to the good weather we had the whole time we were there.
The Irish people we came into contact with, outside of the hotel, were friendly and helpful - I think they've had time to forgive and forget the sins the English inflicted on them, especially Ollie Cromwell and his gang!
I would definitely have another trip to this hotel and would recommend it to any of my friends, although I would, if possible take more time out, maybe a 7 or 10 day holiday; because of the travel time 5 days just wasn't long enough.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor facing the rear of the hotel are much more picturesque!
5 Thank 227Paul1979
Dear 227Paul1979,

Many thanks for your recent review of the Earl of Desmond hotel, and for the very kind comments about our restaurant staff. We are very proud to say that they will always go the extra mile to make sure that our guests leave happy and refreshed.

We hope that when you take the extended trip back to Ireland that we will welcome you back again!
Angouleme, France
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Geared towards tour groups. Staff polite and helpful, food on offer for dinner was very limited, but plentiful
Hotel rooms have very tired decor, and very uncomfortable mattresses, but it was clean and very quiet. Expensive

Room Tip: Room 233 very quiet from the outside, but as it is a connecting room sounds carry!
1 Thank Krissy16250
Dear Krissy16250,

Thank you for your recent review of the Earl of Desmond Hotel, and for your kind comments towards our staff and the food.

We have taken your other comments on board and we hope that we may welcome you back to the Earl of Desmond in the future,

Tralee, Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is my third attempt to review this hotel and the review keeps getting removed. In my opinion this is really unfair as a person needs to be well informed about where they choose to hold their wedding.

I caught a tiny bit of the reply before my previous comment was removed and the response was a joke. I will give a few examples of what was done wrong but I would not have space to cover all of it.

When we arrived at the arranged time the bridal suite was not ready. I had to come back twice before the room was ready. We booked a party for 150 guests and I was given a hall that could easily hold 500 people. We saw the room that morning and commented that it was too big. They said that they could cordon it off if needed. They knew in advance that our wedding was abroad and that this was a party for friends and family that couldn't make it abroad.

We arranged a buffet and wine for the guests that were coming. I was asked to pick finger food which I did and on the night they brought out what they felt like. They dressed the hall for a sit-down meal with candlabras and lace. We had asked that the room be very understated. It felt copy-pasted from every other wedding day. All of our requests were ignored.

We were mortified when they brought out sandwiches and sausages onto the dressed tables. The group at the wedding party was very disjointed so people were coming and going all day, When the food did come out there were a lot of people missing, so the manager came out, stood in the middle of the dining room and, very openly, counted the heads that were there. Those who were out smoking or at the bar were not counted.
I asked for wine with the finger food and I paid per head for this, yet a few weeks later I was told by friends that were there that they were told by staff under instructions to not leave the wine on the tables.
I am coeliac, there was nothing at the party for me to eat, I was given watermelon and a gluten-free roll, this could go on and on,

Now I could go on and on, and if tripadvisor feels I have not included enough I can add more details because I could write a book. I did not marry that day, if I had I would never have recovered. It was a party for friends and family who could not make it, but it was a terrible, terrible experience. I complained at the time and the email was ignored, I had actually paid for all of this in advance, but more family had joined us abroad than originally planned, so there was about €500 left over, I did not want to ask for my money back as I had made changes to the original booking and the hotel had accommodated us in this.

At least I thought they had! Anyway, I decided to ask for a voucher for their sister hotel to use later in the year. The manager could not even do this, He came back and tried to push a two night stay on me for 500 euro in Clare. That would be 250 a night for B and B, I found the whole experience terrible and horrible and I will never forget it,

I will say this, some of the staff were lovely and the breakfast was lovely. It is laughable that the hotel thinks a good reply to this is that it was ages ago, It was a year and 3 months ago and this is my third attempt at reviewing,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank Annettehennessy130
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here on a tour. Lovely grounds and reception/lounge area but bedrooms are slightly dated
Waitress service at dinner was very quick and staff pleasant.
Disappointed couldn't walk into Tralee its about 3miles but hotel can organise a taxi

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
NorellaMansfield, Manager at The Earl of Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Anne V,

Many thanks for your recent review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for your kind words about our Restaurant Staff, which we have passed onto the team here.

We hope that you will return to us in the near future, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

What a fantastic week we had at this wonderful hotel in the republic of Ireland. The staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough to help you. We had a lovely ground floor room overlooking the beautiful gardens. The food in the restaurant was first class, and nothing was any trouble to the waiters and waitresses. There were German people staying there at the same time and i have to say we all got on very well indeed. Would certainly pay another visit to this wonderful place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Peter R
NorellaMansfield, Manager at The Earl of Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Peter R,

Many thanks for your recent review of the Earl of Desmond.

We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and we thank you for your kind compliments of our staff, who, we are proud to say, are always getting praised for their friendliness and helpfulness.

We would hope that you will come back to visit us again in the future,and we look forward to welcoming you back.