“Losing its charm” 4 of 5 bubbles

Brandon Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
“Losing its charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

I know my title might seem as if its all bad but its not love this place when in Tralee. Plus point location location location, the bar staff are nice esp older /longer serving staff alket, kasha, Noreen, Luke and few others I have not got names of the newer crew are also good young but gaining experience and chatting,new supervisor looks uncomfortable he at times will stand or overlook bar staff taking orders from customers for what i dont know and hard to engage with as its to much of an effort can see he is trying to hard also he chewing gum is disgusting when/if serving customer drink or food. New young female food manager I think is welcoming and smile on her face, and not afraid to work unlike her male counterpart.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Youngprofessionalire
Elaine C, Manager at Brandon Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Customer,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, we are glad to hear you found the location excellent and found the bar staff friendly.

I will pass on your compliments to the staff; we take pride in providing excellent customer service and it is great to hear this feedback.

We take all your comments on board and they will be discussed with our bar and management team.

Again we thank you for reviewing the hotel and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Darvel, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Room was nothing special but clean and comfortable. We had a 2 course dinner in the hotel and were impressed by the quality. Breakfast was good too and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a gym and a pool. There is a steam room, sauna and jacuzzi beside the pool.

Room Tip: Its worth a look.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keith H
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

On the 14th of June my partner, MY 15month old daughter and I went to the Brandon Hotel for lunch. We were after checking out of the hospital with our daughter and wanted to eat some light bites before the journey home. We arrived into the restaurant and seated ourselves. There was a few tables but by no means was it busy. After waiting awhile I presumed it wasn't table service and went to the bar to order( I found a menu on a different table). I ordered a soup of the day and the turkey club sandwich and a tea. We were told our food had to be paid for in advance which I found unusal for a hotel but didn't hesitate and paid. We were sitting down and I noticed the waitress/bartender taking the order from the table next to us and that annoyed me as we were left waiting. Our meals arrived(still waiting on the tea by the way) I asked the waitressing for it and she snapped at me and told me it was coming. I had been waiting 15 minutes for my tea and was just reminding her in case she had forgotten it. We proceeded to eat. My soup was tastless and cold and I could not drink it. there was no flavour to it and it was very watery and cold. The bread was not homemade and I fount it very stale I called the waitress over and told her very politely that the soup was cold and really to my disliking and found there was no flavour to it. She asked did I want anything else instead but I said no due to being stuck for time. She said ok and that was it. No "I'm sorry" or refund or call back to check on us after that. This is poor customer service on the hotels behalf. The sandwhich was nice and was filled plenty. Overall I'm just so disappointed by my experience and expecially the service. I know it's only a 3 star hotel but you would get a better reception and meal and service in a cafe. I hate to be so blunt but I will not be going back. Way nicer options elsewhere in Tralee.

3 hours ago · Sent from Mob

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Maryscally2012
Elaine C, Manager at Brandon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am sincerely sorry for the experience you had with us while travelling through Tralee. As a hotel we strive for excellent customer service and it is my deepest regret that you did not experience the level of service that we endeavor to provide to all our guests and customers.

I have gone through all the issues you outlined in your review with each and every one of our bar, kitchen and management staff, and I assure you measures have been put in place to ensure our service levels have been improved.

We take all feedback good or bad very seriously and we do appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, I am glad to hear that your choice of turkey club sandwich was to your satisfaction.

I would ask that you give us another opportunity to show you that we value each and every customer and I assure you the action we have taken in relation to your review will result in a very enjoyable experience here at the Brandon.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Couldn't fault this . Staff were really lovely, as we found all the Irish staff we met. Lovely room, food good, and my bed was bliss!! For a change there was a decent sized lift, which meant we didn't have to queue so long to get to our room on arrival, & departure.

Room Tip: I was on 3rd floor, front, & cannot find fault. I cannot comment on the spa as I did not use it...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Julie B
Navan, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

This is a hotel we have stayed in on several occassions. The reception area is very bright and welcoming and the reception staff were all very helpful. Our room on the first floor was at the rear of the hotel and was very dark as a big wall opposite and the decor could do with upgrading. We were there from Mon - Thurs and my wife enjoyed the pool and steam room. As we were on a budget we ate down the town and if you like chinese then the Rose chinese restaurant is the place to go. You get free parking at the rear of the hotel and the location is very central.
With a bit of refurbishment this hotel could be brought back to the glory days when it was the hotel to stay in if you were in Tralee.

Room Tip: Dont take a room at the back of the hotel on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank hoops22
Hudson, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

Sweet Tralee...We've stayed at the Brandon several times and feel like it's our special place in Tralee. The staff (Karen and Eileen especially) are all so welcoming. The rooms (think fifth floor) are spacious, clean and well appointed. The b bar's pub food is savory, reasonable and available early till late. Tralee is the gateway to the Dingle and Iveragh Peninsulas and can be used as a base to explore County Kerry, one of Ireland's most beloved and scenic counties.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue H
Wicklow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

At first glance the reception area is nice. We were barely greeted by a receptionist who seemed to not want to talk to us in anyway other than a quick check in and her aim being to get us away from reception as quick as she could even though we were the only customers at that time.
The room itself was clean but in need of some modernisation, but had what we needed. The next problem I had was with the night porter who was extremely rude to us that night. I feel the staff let the hotel down on a major level!
We had food in the bar area which was good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LollyMacker

Travellers are raving about these Tralee hotels