“What a pleasant surprise!”

Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
West Cork
“What a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have never written a review before,(mainly because I am too lazy!) but I really feel this hotel deserves a nod for a job well done. I booked a one night family package at this hotel very much at the last minute and without much research. We had a fantastic stay. The staff were friendly and efficient and the atmosphere was cosy, relaxed and inviting. This looks and feels lime a hotel that is doing well and ploughing money back into the business.The hotel both inside and out is maintained to a very high standard and the view from our room onto the back gardens was lovely.

To my initial horror, there was a wedding in the hotel the night we were staying. My husband and I had braced ourselves for lots of late night noise and general drunken, disorderly behaviour (as one would expect from any half decent wedding!). Not only did we not see the wedding party all day but there wasn't a sound to be heard all night either.

All the little extras that have slowly been stripped away from most hotels were all here. We had chocolates in our room, bathrobes and slippers.

Our room was VERY spacious for the four of us. If I was to have any gripe it would be that our bed consisted of two singles pushed together. Not a problem in itself but it could have done with a nice thick topper so you didn't feel the join. The bathroom though spotless was a little tiered looking too. But hey, you have to put these things in perspective. Did it in any way ruin our trip? No. We got what we considered a great deal for the price we paid.

I never rate hotel food. It is by and large over priced average fair from 5 star hotels down. Dinner was really very good. Service again friendly and efficient and a nice children's menu too.

And finally I have to mention breakfast. Hallelujah! It was freshly cooked! No silver dome affair with congealed eggs and sweaty bacon laying in wait to assault you senses. It is so rare these days to get a breakfast cooked to order and there is simply no comparison.

So, all in all I would recommend this hotel to anybody as a first class place to stay. Well done to all the staff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
MrP_McGillicuddy, Owner at Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review its a lovely compliment to hear that we were the first and for all the good reasons.

We are constantly refurbishing and enhancing the hotel and recently added a fitness suite which guest can use complimentary.

Our staff are very welcoming and go out of their way to make guests as comfortable as possible. It's something that we pride ourselves and is almost a prerequisite that we look for.

As for breakfast you cant beat freshly cooked eggs!!

Once again I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we can welcome you back some day.

Padraig McGillicuddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel.. So relaxing ..rooms spacious ..breakfast so good great menu....staff very friendly. Beautiful gardens...pity it was raining. We didn't mind we had a great night sleep breakfast at a good time 1030

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest ,

Many thanks for your review. A lovely description to give us" Heaven". Its great to get a good nights sleep especially when your not in your own bed. The staff of Ballygarry House make all the difference and I'm glad you noticed.

Clogheen, Ireland
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful stay i had here in this lovely place. Location is perfect as it is in a quiet area & not too far from the town.
My first comment is how well the flower beds looked & how tidy the parking area was kept. The staff were so nice & helpful & you could see it was a happy working environment. The rooms are top class & food is fab. The only downfall was that i wasn't staying longer.Well done to all involved..I'll be back..

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our maintenance team will be delighted to hear your comment on the flower beds, they can be a tedious at times!!

Our team have a great and very genuine approach to service and we are very lucky with the team we have.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ballygarry House.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

It's a rare thing to stay at a hotel and instantly feel at home. But this hotel manages it. A pleasant combination of upscale and homely the hotel makes up for it's slightly less central location by... Well by making you feel you didn't really need to be in the centre.

A homely bar, restaurant of quality an obliging, friendly staff all add up to a relaxing stay...

Oh an generous five euro surcharge for breakfast in your room... A treat...

Recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to hear you felt so welcome and at home in Ballygarry House. We try our best to make everyone as comfortable and relaxed as possible and our team are very genuine in their welcome and care of guests.

John our head chef will be delighted to hear you enjoyed the food and didn't go further than the restaurant! It's real compliment.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the Ballygarry with my mum and children last week. A superb hotel with great staff, all very friendly and well mannered. They had so much time for myself and my children...will definitely be going back next year.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Katieire
Dear Guest,

Thanks you for your lovely review. I 'm delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay. I have to admit that the staff are great with children and go out of their way to help.

We'd be delighted to welcome you back to Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa for your next visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night over the Easter holidays. It was fabulous. The room was big and comfortable, with bottled water and magazines. The thermal suite, hot tub and relaxation room were amazing. Dinner in the restaurant was also lovely. There was a lovely atmosphere here and the staff were great. I can't wait to return!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review. We have a great team of staff and they really do make the difference.

The extras in the room are a great plus and access to the thermal suite and outdoor tub a real treat.

I'll be sure to pass your review onto staff.

Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Recently had a spa day here in nadur spa for my birthday all I can say PURE BLISS! loved every minute of the day here had been last year for my birthday as well and just had to come back. Staff were just so nice to each of us and even though it was busy we were told to take our time with everything and stay as long as we wanted in the relaxation suite after all our treatments. We then had lunch in brooks restaurant which was just amazing also could not fault the food one bit. Our waitress brid I think her name was she was just so lovely, Will be back again next year :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stefanie L
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the timne to review Nadur Spa. I think you hit the nail on the head pure bliss is a great description. Gina our spa manager and her team work very hard to ensure that all our guests have a great experience.

Brooks is an additional treat after the spa and Brid is a fantastic member of the team to have on board.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year, you'll be another year wiser!!

Padraig McGillicuddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tralee
The Rose Hotel
#8 of 14 in Tralee
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#8 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!