“Tiny, tiny room”

The Grand Hotel Tralee
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The plus for hotel is its central location and its free internet. Breakfast was very good.

I stayed in this hotel last week (August 2011) on a business trip. It has no parking but the major problem must be the size of the room. It was very tiny, possibly the smallest I have been in for many many years. I could touch one wall and the bathroom door (on the other side of the room) at the same time. The bathroom door could not fully open because the bed stopped its travel.
I wont stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Aughlin

Reviewed 5 August 2011

My 16 year ole son and I hiked the Dingle Way. I would have to say that during our wonderful 9 day stay in Ireland, the Grand Hotel was our biggest disappointment. I thought that it would be nice to stay in a luxurious 4 star hotel after our 180k hike only to find that our most comfortable and exceptional stays would be in places like Coill an Rose and Camp Junction House at much cheaper rates with much more to offer. How this crappy in serious need of renovation hotel achieved 4 stars is beyond me let alone 2. Outside of having an incredible lobby and fantastic bar/restaurant, the hotel rooms themselves were depressing and horrible. I asked to see other rooms afer being completely dissatisfied with our first option only later having to settle. It was late by this time and after having hiked 29k we became too tired to even think of looking for other options. After going down a labrynth of hallways to get to our room, we found ourselves in this dingy dim lit room with a wonderful view of a grimy roof and ventilation system. The staff seemed friendly but also embarrased about this shabby accommodation and the fact that I was paying 120 Euros for it. On top of this the breakfast was incredibly sparse. I' have been to hundreds of hotels around the globe and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I am left baffled that this horrible hotel has a higher rating than it deserves. Tralee must have better options than this.....

5  Thank davidobrien
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed for 3 nites over the bank holiday weekend,the staff were excellent and couldnt do enough for us,the room was lovely and clean and spacious,the breakfast was lovely and very filling with loads of extra tea and toast,we didnt eat in the bar or restaurant but it was busy and the menu looked very good,It is right in the centre of town,1 min from the park and tourist office and 10 mins walk to the cinema and aquadome,We will defilentely be back and will recommend the hotel to all our friends

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2011

food excellent along with super service. rooms basic and a little stuffy, ask for the newly decorated rooms if available. staff great and bar lively with music each night. great shopping town and very near the aqua dome which is well worth a visit for families of all ages.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Tina and Ingrid your well informed suggestions of areas such as Adair to visit on the way through to Dublin was greatly appreciated. We had a most memorable family holiday throughout Ireland. My family from Melbourne, Australia send their thanks!

Reviewed 30 July 2011

My family and I greatly enjoyed our stay. The room was well kept and relatively large. The hotel staff was excellent. The food was great. We started by booking one night, but extended for two more. Tralee turned out to be a great location for day trips in the southwest coastal areas of Ireland. Parking on the street was easy (hotel parking is limited). A good selection of restaurants are nearby the hotel.

1  Thank Smith4Travel
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Ate at the hotel restaurant for late "lunch" (up to 5 PM), which was a good deal

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple