“brilliant”

Darcy's Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 108 Restaurants in Tralee
Cuisines: European, Mexican, Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Limerick, Ireland
“brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

eaten here a few times my parents went as well because i raved about it so much now they are the same went Saturday night as a pre mothers day treat with the good lady and wow it just gets better and better
the food is .... ........ well brilliant the service is top class very laid back yet smart the owner/waitress comes to the table and reads the specials out with such flair and passion don't even bother looking at the menu as the specials here are very special
didnt get to chat with the chef but my parents did a few nights before and were delighted
i will be back real soon simply brilliant

3 Thank johnthelock

Piacenza, Italy
“Simply great!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I'm Italian and I spent 5 months in Tralee. I like good food and this is absolutely the best restaurant I've found there.I went there two times with my girlfriend.The location is very nice,and the food is simply amazing. I always ate fish and it was so delicious.The owner and waitress were also so kind and helpful. I was very surprised that they remembered my name, and mine and my girlfriend's nationality when we went there for the second time. I think that this is a small detail but it shows how this restaurant is run by people who like their job and care about customers. We can just recommend it.
Francesco and Maele

• Visited February 2014
5 Thank Francesco B
102helena, Owner at Darcy's Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for your review.
You are such a lovely couple and we enjoyed having you in Darcys!
We strive to make our customers happy and it's lovely to hear that you had a good night.
Regards
Helena & Rose.
Almancil, Portugal
“A nice little surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I went here for dinner and were pleasantly surprised.
The owners are the hostesses/waitresses, the way they talk about their menu and tell you about the days specials makes you drool and want to take the whole menu to taste everything. They were friendly and welcoming, Irish hospitality at its best. There produce is amazing and fresh which is great.
The menu is very interesting and has a few combinations you wouldnt expect.
We had the fillet Cafe De Paris and we would highly recommend it, it was succulent and tasty.
We had the opportunity to meet the chef, a really nice guy full of passion for what he does which was really nice to see.
Well worth the effort as you are guaranteed to get good quality, fresh food.

3 Thank Tamara I
Tralee, Ireland
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Myself and my husband had dinner in Darcy's last night as a Mother's Day treat. Similar to the previous reviewer, I also ate there around 6 months ago and reviewed the restaurant then as a 5 star experience. Sadly, this time was a disappointment.

The starters were lovely (my husband had the scallops, me the mussels) but the main courses, mine in particular, was a let down. The first problem was that, despite a very quiet restaurant, our main courses were delivered within 3-4 minutes of our starters being finished which was far too quick. As a result we were not ready for our main course. My husband had the sirloin steak which he said was good but not great. My dish was a special and was the rib eye steak with a sauce that I can't remember the name of (but similar to the Cafe de Paris sauce also on offer with another dish). I did not like the dish at all, I think it was a combination of a mediocre quality steak and a sauce that was simply not to my liking. I had about 4 mouthfuls, which meant most of it went back when the plates were cleared.

The person who cleared the table did not make any comment or inquiry as to the reason for returning most of my dish, which was really disappointing. However, before desserts were ordered, a different lady inquired as to how everything had been. I had to honest and said simply that most of my steak was returned as I did not like it. I also explained the issue with the mains coming immediately after the starters. She dealt with it exceptionally well, was very apologetic and offered me a free dessert by way of compensation.

While I was happy (enough) with this at the time, on the way home in the car with my husband we discussed the issue further and felt that, given most of my steak was returned uneaten, we should not have been charged for it (an expensive €26.95) and by the time I got home I was actually quite annoyed at having paid this amount for 4 mouthfuls of something that was not nice, Having read the previous reviewer, where the customer was not charged for their dish when they complained, I am disappointed that Darcy's approach to complaints is inconsistent and that our complaint was not similarly addressed, which would have been only fair and just.

Sadly, Darcy's will not get another chance from me to make up for this as I feel that this should have been addressed properly at the time. There are other, better priced restaurants in Tralee that would not have charged for the main course in such an instance and they deserve and will receive my custom from now on.

Visited March 2014
5 Thank Shuvvie
102helena, Owner at Darcy's Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your starters and am surprised to hear you felt rushed between courses as you ordered your steak well done which takes 25-30 mins and always delays a table if anything.
You had the Colbert sauce which is very popular and I'm sorry it was not to your taste.i remember you on the night as does Rose and it wasn't noticed by either of us or the waitress or the kitchen staff that your plate was full in return.
So as you said you were unhappy we offered dessert on the house.
Of course if someone doesn't eat their food we remove it from the bill or offer a replacement.
That's our policy and we are very professional.
Your review surprised me as you appeared happy when you were leaving and I felt your issue had been resolved to your satisfaction.
Rose had offered a free dessert when you mentioned you didn't like the sauce, apologised and apologised again as she said goodnight to you.
The quality of the rib eye is as with all our meat of the highest standard, local cattle under 24 months, hung for 25 days.
We are selling cote de Boeuf which is a double rib eye on the bone -over 1 kg suitable for two people at the moment which sells out every night it's available.
Dublin, Ireland
“Pleasant meal but pricy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

This restaurant is small and has a private feeling to it. The staff are not professionals but I guess this brings the cosy feeling to the whole experience. The owner and the chef took some time and had a chat with us which surprisingly wasn't awkward at all! The food and wine was delicious, even thou we felt it was a bit overpriced considering the untrained staff.

1 Thank Denisa K