“Tralee & Adare: Cathedrals of the Golf Religion”
Review of Tralee Golf Club

Tralee Golf Club
Bellville, Texas, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Tralee & Adare: Cathedrals of the Golf Religion”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

On the Isle which I call "Heaven's Front Gate", there are cathedrals that are more than mere courses in this religion called "Golf". Tralee is links by the sea, but among many rock formations and undulations which differentiate it from others like Ballybunion and Waterville. I prefer Tralee. The back nine is especially inspiring. It is well outside of the City of Tralee and getting there can be confusing, but it is worth the effort. About an hour away is Adare Manor Golf Club. Among the most beautiful courses I have ever played. A parkland course, it is manicured like I suppose Augusta. It is hilly enough to give challenging variations in fairways, but even an older walker like me enjoys the round. Carts are available. It is a very special place. I recommend the traveling golfer schedule both with an extra day for each. My favorites - so far, I have many yet to play!

Visited October 2013

London
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Classic links course, beautiful vistas, fantastic track designed by Arnold Palmer. Highly recommended.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mayzie1
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not as great as expected”
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I played Tralee in May 2013 on a golf tour of Ireland (also played The Island,Old Head,Ballybunion and Lahinch. I had read all about the courses beforehand so knew about how the back 9 was rated etc.We played with a lovely Irish chap (Gerry ?)and in a strong breeze which made the course extremely testing. For example I hit driver,3 wood and was still short of the 10th green and I play off 5 (10th is a long par 4)!

The wind did spoil things a bit for us though we are from Scotland so used to these conditions.I did not think that the course lived up to the expectations I had for it,based on other reviews.In particular although the back 9 is unquestionably better it is not as good as suggested by others IMO. There are a number of quirky holes which are difficult especially in the conditions we had including the 12th where I hit a peach of a drive and a 4 iron right out of the middle on to the green from a downhill lie.This to a green set above the fairway and with a massive drop to the left and short.Basically anything less than shot of the day wouldn't have got there.

The best holes on the course for me were 15 and 16,the first a gorgeous short par 4 by the seaside green partly hidden green and 16 the famous par 3 which required a flushed 5 iron to make front edge.

The back 9 is good,don't get me wrong and there's nothing bad about the front 9 but this is not as good as Ballybunion.Even the Island has arguably more natural consistent golf holes.Tralee to me was a bit like a crazy golf course with greens located on the top of dunes and it certainly doesn't compare well with the great Scottish links or even many of the lesser ones.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too critical as everybody we met was very friendly and hospitable.Maybe if I play it on a calmer day i might see it differently and clearly lots of golfers don't share my views.Play it and decide yourself!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Andrewmaxwell
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Absolutely gorgeous golf course”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My second most favorite course on our trip to Ireland. The views from every hole were spectacular. Designed by Arnold Palmer this is one of the finest courses I will ever play on. We had to deal with some wind and rain when we were along the water but it didn't distract from my second best round of the trip. I carried my camera and couldn't stop taking photos on every hole. I found the course and especially the greens some of the best ever. I wish this course were in my hometown, I would play everyday. After a wonderful round we had a wonderful lunch in the club house.

Visited September 2013
Oceanside, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Do not miss this gem”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Easily the most scenic golf course in SW Ireland. Palmer designed the front, God did the rest.
Hole after hole you cannot believe the views. Our caddie Gerald was a great asset. Both the stories and experience made the day a lifelong memory. Would enjoy playing tis course every day forever.
Thanks Pierce for recommending it.

Visited August 2013