“Best Restaurant in the world for Monkfish”
Review of The Oyster Tavern

The Oyster Tavern
Ranked #17 of 118 Restaurants in Tralee
Price range: US$12 - US$34
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Oyster Tavern is one of Kerry's leading Seafood Restaurants, offering the very best in locally caught seafood. It is a well known bar and seafood restaurant throughout County Kerry since the 1980's. It has become well recognised for its excellent quality food and its extensive wine menu. There is a full bar on the premises and the establishment also has a private function room known as 'The Barn' available for birthday parties and any other special occasions. It is a family run business whereby the proprietors Jim and Margot McGrath have a well known work ethic of making everyone that enters feel so welcome with a good team of hard working and motivated staff behind them. The restaurant offers a full a la carte menu and an extensive bar menu to suit all tastes and budgets along with daily specials.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have been going to the Oyster for more years then I care to mention and I have yet to come away disappointed with the service, the food , or the scenic view. My children know it is my favourite restaurant and they have been known to ring Aine from all over the world -sometimes in the middle of the night- to book a table or a to pay for a voucher for us. I could not recoomed it highly enough.

1  Thank Kerrymar
Julie M, Manager at The Oyster Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your positive experiences with us here in the Oyster.
Your kind words will be passed on directly to Aine and the rest of the team.
Our Monkfish dish is one of the most popular dishes here at the Oyster and is a personal favourite amongst a lot of our customers and the staff.: )
Delighted you enjoy it so much.
Many thanks again.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great location looking out over fenit bay, fab to sit outside in the summer. Locals are all really friendly and food is great. Always greeted with a warm welcome and the waitresses are really friendly. I always have a great time at the Oyster Tavern, if you want real craic and good guinness make sure and stop!!:)

Dear Kathryn,
Thank you so much for your kind words about your experiences here with us in the Oyster.
It is greatly appreciated by Jim, myself and the staff.
Your review was lovely to read and will be passed on to the team here.
We hope to see you again soon.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant on numerous occasions and I am yet to be dissatisfied with the service or the food. I have eating all types of food in this restaurant, such as fish, steak, burgers and pastas and they all been of a very high standard. The deserts are amazing especially the chocolate fondant. I would recommend this restaurant to any tourists or locals who are looking for good quality food and a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The waiters are very attentive and will give you the best service possible.

Try it out, you won't regret it ;-)

Dear Karina,
Thank you very much for you fantastic review of the Oyster Tavern bar and restaurant.
Your kind words will be passed on to all the team here for them to read and appreciate.
Thanks again Karina and apologies in the delay in replying to your lovely review.
We are only starting to use Tripadvisor recently and getting our head around it.: )
Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

If you want a warm welcome, a friendly positive atmosphere and the best seafood/steak/whatever food you're into, the Oyster should be your first stop! An array of menu choices using fresh local produce, a great bar service and a superb service from staff. It's my first choice of restaurant in Kerry as well as my favorite place for a few drinks on the weekend! You won't be disappointed here! The service here will make you want to return,they really do make sure you are being looked after at all times! My friends, my family and I would highly recommend The Oyster!

Dear Sarah,
Apologies in the delay in replying to your fantastic review of the Oyster Tavern bar and restaurant. We have only recently started using tripadvisor and we are still getting our head around it. : )
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us and I am personally delighted to read your lovely kind words.
Looking forward to seeing you again soon especially over the Christmas.
Thanks again Sarah.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I have been going to the Oyster Tavern for a few years now and it never fails!! Excellent food, a warm welcome and great service, nothing is too much trouble. And the atmosphere in the bar is second to none, Love it!!

1  Thank Nikkib1989

Dear Nichola,
Many thanks for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your positive experiences in the Oyster.
Your kind words will be passed on to the team here for them to read and appreciate.
Thank you again Nichola and we will look forward to your next visit.
Kind regards,