“A step back in time”

The Park Georgian Guest House
Ranked #5 of 54 Tralee B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed in this stunning guesthouse. Personally I would consider it better than most hotels I have stayed in, and we are very well travelled.
The room was spotless , spacious and the bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept in.
Breakfast.... Where to begin.
The choice is better than we have ever seen. From cold meats, cheese, fruits, yoghurts and juices the hot menu was even more extensive, scrambled eggs with local smoked salmon, pancakes, waffles, full Irish with a range of variations.
If you are coming to Kerry a stay in this guesthouse is a must.

• Stayed: June 2013
MBO82, Owner at The Park Georgian Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Park Georgian Guest House on tripadvisor.

I hope that we will be in a position to welcome you back to Tralee and to The Park Georgian in the future and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

This guest house in located in the perfect location for walking within the city of Tralee. Upon arrival, the outside of the building is very pleasing to look at with it's Georgian architecture. The history of the building is interesting as well, with it being built with stones from a castle. Once in the room, however, there is nothing to speak highly of. The room is very basic and showing wear. The shower ceiling had a rather large brown stain from a previous water leak. We stayed on the 4th floor, and if we wanted anything, we had to go up and down all of the stairs to inquire, as there was not a phone in the room. In the morning, my husband had to go downstairs to ask for a blow dryer, as there was not one in the room. Breakfast was not very good. I ordered pancakes, and the middle was frozen. I guess they prepare them ahead of time, freeze them, and then just microwave them? I was surprised by this, since every other breakfast in Ireland has been quite a production, and outstanding. We loved Ireland, and we really enjoyed our one evening in Tralee. If we return though, we will not be staying at the Park Georgian.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarylandFamily6
MBO82, Owner at The Park Georgian Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We do appreciate all guest feedback as it is only through discourse that we can ever hope to improve the quality of our product. For that reason I am very sorry that you did not make your feelings known to me while you were here as I was here during your stay and most likely cooked your breakfast so I would have been able to address the following directly with you.

None of our breakfast options are microwaved, we only use a microwave for heating baked beans. In fact most people who review us speak very highly of our rooms and particularly our breakfast.

The house was recently renovated but yes it is on a lot of floors (as are all Georgian Houses) and guest houses in Ireland generally do not have switchboard systems and internal telephone networks.

We do not put hair dryers or phone chargers in the rooms but they are all available on request.

We go to great lengths to ensure guest satisfaction and as the rest of our reviews on tripadvisor attest to our high standards I am surprised and sorry to see that in the case of your stay we did not match the expectation you had.

Yours;

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I stayed for two nights during a local festival. It was easy to find and very comfortable. The girls that work there were lovely and so helpful. One even insisted on carrying my bag up to my room when I checked in. My room faced the street but it was quiet and had beautiful curtains that kept the room dark for sleeping. The bed was firm with loads of pillows and nice linens. There was a kettle with shortbread biccies, and the small telly had lots of channels. The shower was great with lots of hot water and the towels were lovely and soft. It felt as comfortable as home. The wifi was straight forward and quick throughout my stay.

Room Tip: There is no dedicated parking but there is (paid) on street parking directly in front of the hotel...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor. Comments from guests are so so helpful to us in showing us what is working for our customers and what needs to be changed.

Thank you for the comments about the decor, we do try to keep the place as classically orientated as possible to do justice to the period of the house but we are always conscious of maintaining 21st century standards.

As you stated about the lift, most Georgian building's don't have them because in the last ten years or so the planning and regulations governing protected buildings has become very limiting (although that's not a bad thing because it's about preservation) so as this house was a private home until recently no major structural work like putting in elevators is possible.

I hope that you enjoyed your stay in the Kingdom and we look forward to being in a position to welcome you back here again some time in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here on Friday May 31st and could not have asked for more. The staff were lovely, the room was very nice. Only thing that could have been better was a bigger TV but for the price I couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views of The Park Georgian Guest House.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry I didn't get to meet you myself as I was away that weekend but I see that Annmarie and her staff looked after you well.

I just took the place over and opened it at the end of July 2012 so there are things that still need to be upgraded and yes the small television sets are amongst them, they are due to be replaced this year.

I hope you had a safe trip home and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Park Georgian some time in the future.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We recently stayed in the Park Georgian Hotel. After a days walking we wanted somewhere central and easy to walk to dinner/drinks in the evening. This B+B was certainly central, it was right in the centre of town so really good for that but parking could be problematic - we put it on a meter as we were leaving relatively early the next day but if you were staying longer you'd want to park somewhere cheaper.

Martin welcomed us and was such a good host. He was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. He told us about the local area, where to go and what to do and gave us some tips for the rest of our trip and time in Tralee.

The B+B is a beautiful building, very grand and had a warm, friendly atmosphere. The reception is just the front hallway and there are no communal areas but our room was large so that was fine. The only thing I would say is that the bathroom was tiny and needed some modernisation. You could barely move in the shower it was so small and there was some water damage through the tiles in the shower area which was a bit off-putting. The room was so large the bathroom could have been extended. Also the wardrobe rail/shelf was inconveniently placed right by the bathroom door, every time we walked out we would have to duck to miss our heads on it!

Apart from that, the room was clean and warm, if basic (ie no clock on the wall/a tiny tv) but Martin's welcome and the breakfast make up for everything else. His food was great, the breakfast was the best we had - a selection of homemade bread, jams, cheese and hams with fruit too then a cooked breakfast of your choice. Large portion sizes and the offer of refills of juice and hot beverages.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CRKSE4
MBO82, Owner at The Park Georgian Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your views of The Park Georgian Guest House.

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the breakfast to be of such a high quality, we do try very hard to ensure that as much of our products as possible are home made and locally sourced as I do feel it makes a big difference.

I do agree with your points about the bathrooms and the wardrobe space. I took the place over in July/August of last year and we did not have time to redo the bathrooms but that is a number one priority this winter, also the wardrobe and dressing table furniture is going to be replaced with items more suiting the style and age of the house.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Ireland and that you had a safe trip home.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

We recently spent our 1st Anniversary in the Park Georgian Guest House and have to say it was 'A real Treat' On our arrival we were greeted by Martin & Ann Marie who were so pleasant & helpful, the ambiance of this beautiful house meets you as you enter the welcoming hallway and continues throughout, the decoration is so warm and inviting, We would highly recommend the Park Georgian for everything it has to offer including its central location and we will be revisiting it very shortly! Thanks Ann Marie & Martin for making our Anniversary so memorable, Donna & John

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
MBO82, Owner at The Park Georgian Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences of the Park Georgian Guest House. I am delighted that Annmarie and myself were able to be of some help to you and that you enjoyed the hospitality here.

I very much look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Tralee and to the Park Georgian in the near future.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

My mom and I recently stayed one night on our way north from the Ring of Kerry up to Doolin. I admit that Tralee was just a convenient stopping point and I hadn't read much to make me excited for the town but we both felt it was a really cute small city and we loved the Park Georgian. Martin was super helpful and responsive in getting things arranged before hand and while he was unable to be there during our stay his staff were all very helpful. The house is a beautiful typical Georgian. The room was large, clean, and modern - more of a hotel size than B&B sized. Good bathroom too. We asked for a recommendation for a place for dinner and they pointed us down the street to Darcys where the owner will always take a Park Georgian guest even if it's packed. This dinner was DIVINE (see that review). Breakfast was good and the location right smack in the center couldn't be beat. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank leotrvlr
MBO82, Owner at The Park Georgian Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of The Park Georgian Guest House (and D'Arcy's Restaurant which is one of my own favourite places to eat)

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here. I am only sorry that I wasn't here to meet you myself but am happy that Annmarie was so helpful to you.

I hope that you and your mother enjoyed the rest of your stay in the country and I hope you had a good trip home.