“A Little Bit of Heaven....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blanchville House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in County Kilkenny
Blanchville House
Ranked #48 of 96 County Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Fairland, Indiana
“A Little Bit of Heaven....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

My husband and I have had the pleasure of staying at Blancheville House the past two years. Monica is a charming and most gracious hostess and her home feels like you've just stepped into a Jane Austen novel. What a beautiful home in a beautiful setting. If you want the peace and quiet of the country, yet not too far from the bustle of Kilkenny, this is it! We have stayed both times in the big room with the half tester bed, and I feel like a fairy princess each morning that I wake up. The breakfast is wonderful, elegant and made fresh to order. I can't say enough about Blanchville House and Monica. I only wish I didn't live "across the pond", as I would indulge myself as a very frequent guest. Treat yourself to a stay, and you will want to return year after year!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonita M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed there for a night in October 2012 and while it is not that easy to find, it is fantastic once you get there.
We were there on our own and got the big room in the main house which was great, felt more like a castle than a B&B. Easy to get to Kilkenny by car, but not within walking distance; it is nice to walk around in the area or the property as well; overall an excellent place to relax.
The host lady and her daughter were very friendly and the food was excellent as well; we really like it and the history of the place is very interesting as well!!

Room Tip: There is a big doubleroom on the first floor of the main house which is amazing
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Poldimonka
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

If you're looking for something a little different , somewhere you can escape noise and bustle, somewhere where you feel as though you're in the absolute heart of the country , then this is the place for you .

I stayed in one of the coachhouses for a few days . It was a lovely experience .
The photos on the internet do nothing to capture the feeling of tranquility that surrounds the place . From the moment you drive into the estate , you get this feeling of going back in time and going back in time in the most positive sense .
Monica , the owner of Blanchville house , could not have been more helpful and accommodating . She had left the key out for us and when we went inside we found that she had left us a plate of scones and jam , She had also left some milk in the fridge so that we were able to make tea after the journey . Such a simple thing but somehow that act of kindness makes such a difference to the start of a holiday .
It takes about ten minutes to drive into Kilkenny but it is so nice to get out of that bustling city and come back to Blanchville .
While we were there we visited the Dunmore caves , the adventure centre nearby and a reptile zoo . The visit to the caves was interesting but it did involve a lot of steps - 700 , I think! The adventure park is very good for children and teenagers and had a really nice restaurant for lunch . The reptile zoo was sheer heaven for those who like snakes , spiders and iguanas ( I'm not really that keen on them ) but I was very impressed by the staff there who seemed to have a real passion for the creatures and never seemed to tire of answering endless questions about them .
The highlight of our trip apart from staying in such lovely accommodation was definitely a restaurant called Rinuccini's , an Italian restaurant opposite Kilkenny castle . The food there is quite honestly the best I've ever eaten . I couldn't recommend it more highly and the early bird menu is great value .
So all in all we had a very enjoyable time . Even the two dogs at Blanchville make you feel welcome and if you're in the mood to throw a ball for the springer spaniel to fetch , you definitely have a friend for life !

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DublinJanya
Witten, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed in a lodge at Blanchville in July 2012.

We felt like home, had a lot of nice conversations with the hosts. I (from Germany) asked for a little introduction into (traditionell Irish) hurling and what my wife and me got was a great lesson by the host family (including equipment :-) )!

When we arrived (at saturday night) we were surprised by a complimentary "starter kit" for breakfast next morning.

Very friendly hosts, big lodge for two or three ("Gardener's Cottage") with fireplace. Special: Tennis for free!

Beautiful rural location within a farm. Ten km to Kilkenny, which can be reached easily by car or bike. Very nice pub with 90% local guests (and us :-) ) within walking distance. Next shop and good butchery in Gowran (5 min).

Vielen Dank für alles! Wir werden die Lodge und Kilkenny gerne in Deutschland weiterempfehlen.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sedona, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at Blanchville House fifteen years ago, and I had always wanted to come back. Two friends from college and I met in Dublin and travelled across southern Ireland. I made reservations at Blanchville House and am so glad I did. Monica was as gracious as she was the first time. In fact, she made a point to check on a friend that was taken sick.

The house is, I am not going to say charming, but elegant and warm. I wouldn't call it a B&B as it is more of an old-fashioned country home than B&B. The grounds are gorgeous and great for walking while the Folly makes for a charming picture. FInally used "charming".

BH is out in the country, about a twenty minute drive to Kilkenny. It is also about a ten minute walk from a local public house.

We stayed in the main house, but there are two gorgeous self-catering houses in the back that have been renovated recently. Breakfasts are to your taste whether it be Irish or Eggs and salmon.

If you want to step back in time and have a taste of a real and genteel Ireland, then stay a couple of days at Blanchville House. My only regret is we stayed the one night.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful, large Georgian house in the countryside near Kilkenny. The rooms are very large, spacious, and immaculately furnished. The hostess, Monica caters to your every need. The day we arrived, we had had a late lunch and were looking for somewhere to get a light bite for dinner. She quickly whipped up some sandwiches for us which hit the spot. Besides the beautiful house, we loved walking around the grounds in the evening or morning - it is a working farm with gracing cows, etc. The breakfast was amazing! It remoteness (an asset) is also its only liability, as you must have a car (about a 20+ minutes drive to Kilkenny). The was one of the two favorite places we stayed in Ireland!

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MJMacM
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Kilkenny, a real tourist town, has several fairly good B and B choices. The common thread is that, due to the town's compactness and infestation of tourists, especially on the summer weekends, in-town tourist lodging may not afford a quiet respite after the day's sightseeing. Fortunately, there's an easy and most pleasurable way to have it both ways----proximity to Kilkenny and area attractions in a very attractive, tranquil setting. That's the terrific combo offered by Blanchville House, a grand 18th century home on acres of historic farm property just an easy 15 minute drive outside Kilkenny, which has been beautifully restored by its owners. mywife and I enjoyed superlative breakfasts in the huge, elegant dining room. We very much appreciated owner/host Monica Whelan's warmth and help in suggesting area activities and in providing excellent driving directions for getting to the myriad attractions in the greater Kilkenny area. Our second floor front bedroom was spacious and well fitted out, with an incredibly comfortable king bed. With a great view of trees and fields from the large front and side windows. Karen Brown, in her book, Karen Brown's Ireland rightly extolls Blanchville House's virtues. it was a surprise to us that more guidebooks available in the U.S. haven't picked up on this fine B and B.

S and B