“Beautiful Dinners”

Ranked #5 of 227 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have been to Campagne 2 times with my boyfriend, always great service , friendly staff, and yes a Michelline star Restaurant.The food was just perfect, delicious wine. Just be sure you make a reservation. We loved it and sure we will come back soon.

2  Thank Sylsylsylsyl
There are newer reviews for Campagne

Reviewed 20 August 2014

As a special treat for H's birthday, we took the train down to Kilkenny from Dublin for Sunday lunch at Campagne. The restaurant itself is close to the train station and a little off the beaten track in front of a block of apartments. It's not the most promising looking setting, but we didn't mind as we were here for the food.

We were greeted warmly by the maitre d who took us to our tables. Campagne do a set lunch (€25 for two courses, €30 for three) which is great value. There is a choice of four dishes for each of the starters, mains and desserts. The mains, in particular, all sounded absolutely delicious. I had the organic courgette soup, roast shoulder of suckling pig (I seem to be having a lot of pork lately) and buttermilk panna cotta to finish. H had the Toonbridge mozzarella, free range chicken breast (sweetcorn puree was to die for) and a sumptuous chocolate tart.

Service throughout was very natural and not stuffy at all. The side of mashed potatoes that came free with the mains was a nice touch (you'd know you weren't in Dublin!). Our total bill came to €85.45 (including two glasses of prosecco, a glass of red wine and a still water).

With this standard of cooking and value, it's probably best to reserve a table in advance.

1  Thank sdublin4
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Made a booking some weeks before and visited this restaurant when staying for Kilkenny Arts week 2014. We had the early bird menu which cost 32 Euro for 3 courses.

The location is slightly out of the centre of town and the restaurant is in a fairly drab block. The decor inside is pleasant but shows little character. To be fair this should not matter as it is the food that counts.

My wife had the roast courgette soup starter followed by the Hake and I had the ravioli starter and slow roasted shoulder of lamb. In all cases the food was good (although my ravioli could have been a tad warmer) but the portions were miniscule and despite having the dessert afterwards it is the first time I have left a restaurant still feeling hungry (I am not a big eater). I needed to buy a bag of chips on the walk back into town! I've never yet worked out why some restaurants, like this, whisk the bread away after the starter. What is the reasoning for this? Bread should be available all through a meal to soak up the sauce etc. - when travelling in France even the humblest establishment will keep filling up the bread basket with fresh tasty bread.

The deserts were also fairly good but again quite small in size. So far I would give this restaurant 4 stars overall.

However, we then ordered a cappuccino and a green tea at the end of the meal. I was given a very ordinary cup of coffee (no sign of the cappuccino) which was the worst I had in any cafe in Kilkenny and my wife was given a sachet of tea to make her own with hot water; no sign of tea being made the correct way. Sorry guys but if you have a Michelin star I don't know why you are giving customers a teabag in a packet to make their own tea. This is why I have knocked off another star in my overall review.

So to sum up, quite good but the whole place did not shout 'passionate' as a really good restaurant should.

3  Thank henchard
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I have been to campagne several times but this was my first time since it received it's Michelin star and it was nice to see that it hadn't changed it's relaxed style.It is a relaxed Michelin star restaurant in that it not uncomfortable or convoluted in order to be fancy. The food is prepared to a very high standard and our meal was delicious. The staff are very attentive without being annoying and I have never had a bad experience here. A must for anyone looking for something a little special!

1  Thank Fooders28
Reviewed 16 August 2014

An interesting menu, and the food is very well presented and very tasty. Perfect for special occasions.

1  Thank lamp_10