“well appointed, cozy, great for large groups”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilkenny
Wallslough Cottages
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“well appointed, cozy, great for large groups”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed at Wallslough the last week of March 2013 with a large group of friends. It was unseasonably cold in Ireland at this time and can relate to what others have said about the heat. We spoke with the caretakers and they advised all of us how to modify the heat in all the cottages so we had plenty of hot water and heat throughout our stay.

Our group rented out all 8 cottages and while we didn't love having to call a taxi every time we went into Kilkenny, we know well enough to get your taxi drivers name the first trip, negotiate a flat rate and then tell him you'll call him directly all week. Between our group, we had 4 different drivers that would give us the flat rate which was more than 30% less than the metered rate.

I do wish there were better instructions for the washing machine however. The type they have is not common in the US and most of us were guessing at how to operate it. : ) But, the fact that they have them at all is fantastic. Also, the refrigerators are just the large dorm fridges, very small, so plan to shop a couple of times during your stay.

My one complaint is about the wifi. It's seriously nonexistent. We only had it in Cottage 6 and even there, it was spotty/weak. In this day and age, I feel like wifi is a must, in every cottage, and a good, strong signal too. I had work that I need to stay on top of (even during my holiday, sad, I know) and the wifi issues made it very tricky.

Do NOT leave any food outside as there are stray dogs that pass through. Small, adorable stray dogs... but they will steal your bread. : )

Lastly, make sure you buy plenty of peat for your fireplace. We almost constantly had a fire in the cottage we used as the Gathering Space and went through it quickly.

Overall, beautiful place, clean and just generally lovely. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

p.s. vacuum pack and bring your own pillow. no one in our group liked the pillows. too flat. : )

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank TheLilyPad

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I am not usually the type to review accommodation online but after such a fantastic weekend at Wallslough Village I feel compelled to share my experience. From the very start the owners of this holiday village were nothing but a pleasure to deal with. We had booked the two stone cottages-each sleeping 7 for my best friends Hen party with 14 guests.
It can be tricky getting accommodation for this type of weekend as this comes with a messy reputation but Ann who I dealt with throughout was nothing short of a true lady.
The houses were absolutely beautiful- full of charm and character and completely spacious enough for 14 ladies! Also they were just 5 mins outside the city which was perfect as we got all the privacy of being in the countryside but not far from all that kilkenny has to offer.

We were catered to down to the last detail in relation to the houses. Truly
I could not possibly recommend this accommodation highly enough!

Thank you Wallslough!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarah T
dublin
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed here for a stag weekend and it was ideal. Rural enough for a few beers outside and close enough to Kilkenny for a cheap taxi. Everything that is needed is here. Families should not be put off coz it was enjoyed by a stags, I'm returning with my family! Beautiful accom and surroundings and staff are a pleasure to deal with.

Absolutely no problems from booking to check out. Would recommend for any type of break

And cost was excellent - friends went self catering a couple of months later (somewhere else) and paid E140 extra EACH

Room Tip: If you need more than 1 cottage, get the 2 at the front!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank scobe69
Dorset
Reviewed 25 February 2011

The cottage was great - well equiped and the owners really friendly. Our ferry was delayed so we arrived at an antisocial hour but they took it in their stride.
Cottage was spotless and warm (we visited in Feb) and there was plenty to do round and about. A great rural location but close enough to get a taxi to Kilkenny and enjoy the restaurants and bars in the evenings.

We will be back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WinterSolsticeDorset
Bristol
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The cottages are lovely, well equipped, look the part and are in a good location outside of kilkenny.
The cottage we had did not have fully working heating throughout our stay. The owners did come twice and fixed it, however it did not work and we had a couple fo cold nights which was a bit of a let down.
Also, there were two large groups of teenagers staying at the time, this appears to be a regualr feature, they didnt cause us any bother but they were noisy at times and sat at the back of our cottage, this i would imagine could annoy other people.
The owners/ staff were very firendly and helpful throughout our stay, its just a shame they did not fix the heating/ return to check if it was functioning.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bristolkevin
Dublin
Reviewed 3 April 2009

I recently stayed here with a group of family and friends and I have to say we were really happy with the cottages. They were just as lovely as they look on their website, in fact, they were nicer!

Having had a few bad experiences in the past (and as I was booking on the behalf of ten people) I was abit nervous about what they would be like. However, they were extremely clean inside, and bright and airy. One thing that stood out for me was how pristine the sheets were! The cottages come well equipped with everything you would need, including a fire log for the fire. I was really impressed with how nice the people who run them are, Nichola and Liz who were a joy to deal with.

The location is lovely, very quiet and picturesque. As they are only three miles away from Kilkenny city, they are close enough to pop in and out. Having a car with you would be preferable. Otherwise you may be relying on taxis.

We had a fabulous stay here and we all agreed we will happily return for another stay in the future!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends