“Peaceful, Clean and Close!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilkenny
Wallslough Cottages
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I just stayed here in May with my family. We went for a wedding of a friend and had a marvelous time. I had the opportunity to see a couple of locations as many of the wedding guests stayed in different places and I am confident this is the best place for size and finances. The place was very clean and the people were kind. I showed up on weekend and had to search around a bit to find where to check in but it was timely so that was nice. The owners own the whole place and the building behind so again it was a bit of time like 15 minutes to find someone. SO nice though and just moments from Kilkenny!!! Clean bathrooms and clean units. A must if you like self catering!

Room Tip: The stone cottages are a bit larger than the other cottages. And Stone Cottage #1 is a better choic...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kamran M
There are newer reviews for Wallslough Cottages

Reviewed 16 May 2013

My stay at Wallslough was with the prior reviewer (Lily) and 25 of our friends. Wallslough had all the amenities we needed and if anything fell short, the owners were quick to respond and always came on-site to help us out.

We stayed in the stone cottages - the upper level of #1 had two bedrooms, one with a queen bed and another with three single beds. The cottage would be perfect for a family with children, or for a group of single people.

The kitchen was well-equipped with everything we needed to make breakfast and lunch. We generally ate out over dinner. The pots and pans were sparse and the Teflon was peeling off on a couple of pans, but otherwise we had everything we needed.

The down-side for us was the amount of money we spent on taxis going to and from downtown Kilkenny. At roughly 13 Euro each way, it quickly began to add up, even with splitting the fares between the group. Like Lily said, we secured a deal with our taxi drivers on the first day so we were able to travel to and from for roughly 10 Euro each way.

Again, to echo Lily's statement, we encourage you to vacuum pack your own pillow - the pillows were at least 50% of the reason I woke up with a headache each morning. You can guess what the other 50% was from, I'm sure. :)

After we got home, we realized we left a CD in the stereo of one of the cottages and a scarf in another cottage. After a quick email to the owners, both items were located and on their way back to the U.S. They really were simply wonderful owners.

Overall, Wallslough was a wonderful place to spend the week at while in Kilkenny. Even the locals said they've heard other travelers saying the same thing. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: The stone cottages have open floorplans for the kitchen/dining/living areas - great for group gather...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank danimsartori
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed at Wallslough the last week of March 2013 with a large group of friends. It was unseasonably cold in Ireland at this time and can relate to what others have said about the heat. We spoke with the caretakers and they advised all of us how to modify the heat in all the cottages so we had plenty of hot water and heat throughout our stay.

Our group rented out all 8 cottages and while we didn't love having to call a taxi every time we went into Kilkenny, we know well enough to get your taxi drivers name the first trip, negotiate a flat rate and then tell him you'll call him directly all week. Between our group, we had 4 different drivers that would give us the flat rate which was more than 30% less than the metered rate.

I do wish there were better instructions for the washing machine however. The type they have is not common in the US and most of us were guessing at how to operate it. : ) But, the fact that they have them at all is fantastic. Also, the refrigerators are just the large dorm fridges, very small, so plan to shop a couple of times during your stay.

My one complaint is about the wifi. It's seriously nonexistent. We only had it in Cottage 6 and even there, it was spotty/weak. In this day and age, I feel like wifi is a must, in every cottage, and a good, strong signal too. I had work that I need to stay on top of (even during my holiday, sad, I know) and the wifi issues made it very tricky.

Do NOT leave any food outside as there are stray dogs that pass through. Small, adorable stray dogs... but they will steal your bread. : )

Lastly, make sure you buy plenty of peat for your fireplace. We almost constantly had a fire in the cottage we used as the Gathering Space and went through it quickly.

Overall, beautiful place, clean and just generally lovely. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

p.s. vacuum pack and bring your own pillow. no one in our group liked the pillows. too flat. : )

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank TheLilyPad
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I am not usually the type to review accommodation online but after such a fantastic weekend at Wallslough Village I feel compelled to share my experience. From the very start the owners of this holiday village were nothing but a pleasure to deal with. We had booked the two stone cottages-each sleeping 7 for my best friends Hen party with 14 guests.
It can be tricky getting accommodation for this type of weekend as this comes with a messy reputation but Ann who I dealt with throughout was nothing short of a true lady.
The houses were absolutely beautiful- full of charm and character and completely spacious enough for 14 ladies! Also they were just 5 mins outside the city which was perfect as we got all the privacy of being in the countryside but not far from all that kilkenny has to offer.

We were catered to down to the last detail in relation to the houses. Truly
I could not possibly recommend this accommodation highly enough!

Thank you Wallslough!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed here for a stag weekend and it was ideal. Rural enough for a few beers outside and close enough to Kilkenny for a cheap taxi. Everything that is needed is here. Families should not be put off coz it was enjoyed by a stags, I'm returning with my family! Beautiful accom and surroundings and staff are a pleasure to deal with.

Absolutely no problems from booking to check out. Would recommend for any type of break

And cost was excellent - friends went self catering a couple of months later (somewhere else) and paid E140 extra EACH

Room Tip: If you need more than 1 cottage, get the 2 at the front!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank scobe69
Reviewed 25 February 2011

The cottage was great - well equiped and the owners really friendly. Our ferry was delayed so we arrived at an antisocial hour but they took it in their stride.
Cottage was spotless and warm (we visited in Feb) and there was plenty to do round and about. A great rural location but close enough to get a taxi to Kilkenny and enjoy the restaurants and bars in the evenings.

We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WinterSolsticeDorset
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The cottages are lovely, well equipped, look the part and are in a good location outside of kilkenny.
The cottage we had did not have fully working heating throughout our stay. The owners did come twice and fixed it, however it did not work and we had a couple fo cold nights which was a bit of a let down.
Also, there were two large groups of teenagers staying at the time, this appears to be a regualr feature, they didnt cause us any bother but they were noisy at times and sat at the back of our cottage, this i would imagine could annoy other people.
The owners/ staff were very firendly and helpful throughout our stay, its just a shame they did not fix the heating/ return to check if it was functioning.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family