“Nice Dinner”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Visited this restaurant sat evening, we called quite late for a reservation and was advised they were fully booked for the 7.30 slot we wanted but that they could fit us in at 7, always a good sign when the restaurant is booked out.
We arrived a little later than 7 due to parking but were still offered the choice of 3 tables, we chose the table mentioned in a previous review on the upper level near to the chefs pass which I did not think was either too hot or bright. I do however have to agree with the comment regarding the tables and walls being a little scuffed/battered but found neither offensive or off putting this is just wear and tear.
I'm guessing due to us being late the staff were concerned about our table time crossing over to the relay we had been advised would happen for 9pm on reservation, and that is why we were approached twice within the first ten minutes of seating if we were ready to order.
We both ordered from the 3 course set menu and each took wine, which I have to say was a lovely house red. The starter of flat mushroom arrived swiftly and was really nice, the main was also presented just as swiftly and once again was a really nice dish ( chicken stuffed with goats cheese & black pudding ) there was also no fuss in regards with me changing the sauce from what was on the menu to one I would prefer.
By this time the restaurant was full with a number of large parties and I could see people were also waiting for tables, however the service was still attentive to us and we were consistently taken care of by two great girls. We chose our desserts and coffee which rounded off a really nice evening.
Overall I think you would be disappointed if you wanted the full on "Italian Experience" , there is a much better Italian restaurant in Kilkenny for this, which you would pay a much higher price for. But if you wanted a nice evening meal with an Italian feel to it then give La Rivista a go, the food was lovely and the staff warm and very efficient including the manageress who visited our table twice to ask if were satisfied.

1  Thank Lee K

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I think for the full dining experience La Rivista has to be the best in Kilkenny when you factor the quality of food, customer services & price. La Rivista has always been a favourite of mine but after dining there over Saint Patrick’s weekend I have to say I just love it, we had the special wine “a Zenato Pinot Grigio which our waitress recommended and it was just the nicest white I’ve had in sooo long. I’d the Antipasti to start, followed by the hake and then the sticky date pudding to finish: 10/10. My husband had a prawn & chorizo pasta for mains and said it was fabulous.
Can’t wait for our next visit

1  Thank Alison M
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Never had a bad dinner here food always up to standard. Service excellent. Food amazing. Every dish. Love this place. People giving out having to wait have never worked in a restaurant. You have to wait for good things in life!!

1  Thank Tykk1980
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Booked a table well in advance and we were shoved into a top corner beside the opening for the kitchen which was very hot and very bright. We ordered our food and were told it would take 20 minutes to arrive and it took 45. We were also forced to change our order twice because not all items on the main or dessert menu were available. The food was just about alright and the waitress was pleasant but the manager was a very ignorant sort who seemed to look down on us and treat us like 2nd class citizens even though we were spending a lot of money. The tables were chipped and shabby and had no table clothes on and the walls were dirty and scuffed all over. But the worst part of the experience was seeing a member of the kitchen staff eating food from somebody's plate that was waiting to be served behind the kitchen counter!!!! There are some absolute quality Italian restaurants in Kilkenny city and I can tell you this most definitely isn't one of them. Do yourself a favour and avoid this horrible establishment like the plague.

1  Thank Benjamin K
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Fantastic deal: 3 courses and a bottle of wine 59e!!
Food was delicious and well presented! The wine was good too, we had white!
I had the taster starter with hummus, olive tapanade, pesto with bread on a bed of rocket. My boyfriend had the garlic bread with melted cheese which he enjoyed. For main I had pizza, authentic thin crisp base! A taste of Italy! He had the pasta pollo which was rich in flavour! Desserts were tiramisu and the apple and berry crumble, a real treat!!
I would recommend La Rivista