“If you are looking for a pristine B&B this is not for you”
Review of Launard House

Launard House
Ranked #55 of 73 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“If you are looking for a pristine B&B this is not for you”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed for two nights whilst touring Ireland. Graham was a friendly and helpful host, the room and bed were clean and the breakfast good. However, our room had frosted glass windows so that we would not see the dog kennels and back yard which was littered with dog faeces. The dogs barked if we tried to open the window and there was a smell so we couldn't get any fresh air. The garden was run down and had more weeds than flowers, the hanging baskets were dead and the outside table had an ashtray which remained full of cigarette ends.

Room Tip: Don't use the Go Ireland site to book B&Bs in Ireland unless you want to pay 25 euros for a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Lovely home with comfortable rooms in a convenient location near the town of Kilkenny. Graham was a wonderful host with a dry sense of humor and a willingness to share information on the area.. The Bed and Breakfast is efficiently managed and environmentally equipped for conservation of resources.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC area
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We recommend this lovely B and B for any visit to Kilkenny. The location is very good, the hosts are very helpful and their little boy is an adorable greeter. The place is very nicely decorated and absolutely spotless. They don't allow drinks or food in the room, but the dining room can be used to make coffe, tea and for snacks. The breakfasts were very good and we felt well taken care of during our two day stay. I have stayed at other B and Bs in the area and this one was defintely way better.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Carol Stream, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Graham and his wife who own this wonderful B&B were just wonderful, well humored, knowledgeable of the area, and helpful to my sister and I in every way! The rooms were clean, comfortable and the breakfast served was wonderful. This is also a wondeful location. We were able to walk into town in less than 15 mins, really only a few blocks from the down town area. Very reasonable price as well.

• Stayed June 2011
Valley Stream, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We were greeted by an adorable British child and waited in a very nice breakfast room until our host came downstairs. He had a map of Kilkenny with everything possible to do there and great tips to get by in the city. This was my 4th day in Ireland and I was a bit sick of pub food so we had great Chinese at the Emerald Garden. I went to the Dunmore Cave because I also had my fill of castles by this point, but had I had more time, I would have gone to the Smithwicks Brewery. The Black Abbey was beautiful. Our host runs a tight ship, great breakfast, beautiful rooms and he's very helpful. He does not allow any eating in the room so come back full!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Buford, Georgia
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I stayed at this B&B ten years ago on my last trip to Kilkenny, Ireland. It was like visiting an old friend. The room was spacious and clean. The owners suggested I visit a local site that was not on my itinerary which added to the magic of my trip. Breakfast was terrific!! Couldn't ask for a better place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Holbrook, New York
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We had a great stay at Launard House. Beautifully decorated yet very comfortable. Our bedroom, ensuite, was great (and I loved the pillow headboards as well!). Our hosts couldn't have been more friendly, hospitable and helpful. They recommended a great pub for dinner, the Marble City Bar (I think that's the correct name). Terrific full Irish breakfast was served at Launard House. It is located a bit outside the city centre, so you will need to drive or taxi into Kilkenny proper. I would definitely revisit.

Stayed April 2011