“Very disappointed. Definitely not a 4 star.”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin
“Very disappointed. Definitely not a 4 star.”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

On arrival we were met at reception by a very friendly receptionist. Foyer looked nice and inviting. Drinks machine on the floor beside lifts, which is a great facility to have.

Went to our standard room to find it dull and old fashioned. Then we noticed that some of our towels were stained, one even had something brown and sticky on it. We phoned for replacements and received them very quickly, but we never had a full set of towels after that, there was always something missing. The bed throws also had stains on them which was a bit off putting. Toiletries were very limited. Given very little toilet paper, ran out on last day!

Very noisy corridors. Woken up continuously with banging doors. In the morning the cleaning staff themselves were contributing significantly to this! Kept awake all night due to wedding the second night.

Breakfast was very poor. No porridge, no soya milk, pastries were limited, stodgy and tastless. Marmalade was homemade and had no jelly, it was all rind, and the homemade jam was so runny I had to pour it onto my toast, but it subsequently slid off. Ended up eating a fry which I didn't want. We had trouble getting served for our tea/coffee/toast, staff and manager kept ignoring us, had to stand in middle of floor trying to get someone's attention. We went out for breakfast after that even though we had paid for B&B.

The pool and leisure centre was very nice and enjoyable. We had no problems here, except having to buy a swim hat, rather than borrow one.

The problem is that we were expecting a 4 star hotel, with 4 star standards. Its all about expectations.

Room Tip: Don't go for a standard room, from our experience they aren't nice. Dull, dark, very noisy.
1 Thank Barbara1_Dublin
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Dear isetDublin,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

I have to say that I was really disappointed to read your review and I have taken some time recently to speak with all of my team about your experience.

The standard of service you received is simply unaccepatble and in your shoes I would have been equally unhappy. Please accept my sincere apologies for the way you treated. As you will see from our reveiws, we don't always get it right, but we do most of the time. I'm certainly going to use your commenst as a wake up call and I will ensure that no future guest leaves in any doubt that this is a four star hotel.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Meath
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed there recently for my friends Wedding. The room seemed nice and clean, however on closer inspection there was a big cigarette burn and stain on the bed throw - this should have been in the bin and was so obvious that the staff who dressed the bed could no way have missed it. WIFI was on the ground floor but not in the guest rooms as standard which in this day and age is unacceptable.
We got a good rate on the room the night of the wedding as part of the wedding guest package. However as we travelled some distance we wanted to stay the night before. We called them the day before the wedding asking for a room for that night to add to our next night stay. We asked if they would do us a deal as they had admitted on the phone they had several rooms available. The only price they could offer was over €100 each for myself and my partner and considering this was a last minute and midweek day I wasnt prepared to accept, in fact it was the same amount they offered on the main website so no offer or deal was made - they seem to prefer to leave rooms empty rather than give a small discount. We found an alternative hotel nearby, also 4 star, and only had to pay €35pp B&B and that hotel was far superior to the Ormonde.
They also didnt have a smoking area off the street so I thought it looked awful when we arrived to see several people smoking in the vicinity of the front door, it made the hotel look shabby before you entered. They really should have a decent smoking area for smokers away from the front door!
The breakfast the next morning wasnt great. We had to wait some time to be seated, the hot food was chewy and old. We had to grab the attention of the minimal staff to orfer tea/coffee/toast however we had finished eating before they even came to take our order. The staff seemed panicked and made us feel like we had to rush so they could turn around the tables for the next guests. Both myself and my partner felt unwell for the rest of the day after we ate so I would definately not eat here again.
The room the wedding reception in was outstanding. The food was delicious and there were fantastic staff who looked after each guest fantastically. The only downside was that the staff were trying to give the impression of silver service waitressing, however they set food down and took plates away from any side of the guests. Also one waiter decided to poke me in the back twice with his finger to grab my attention to offer me wine without trying to speak to me first (I had noticed his arrival at the table). It would be fantastic if the Ormonde either trained their staff in basic silver service waitressing or stopped making them out to be this type of waitor.
Overall, dispite everything mentioned, we had a fantastic time, we slept like babies and the staff in general were lovely to deal with. However I wouldnt recommend this hotel to a friend, nor would I go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nonie L
Dear NonieLove,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I'm disappointed that you did not get to stay the second night and I'm apologise profusely for the fact that your bedroom was not maintained to an acceptable standard. I am, however, a little confused about your comments on the smoking area, as we have purpose built decking at the side of the hotel.

I appreciate that you enjoyed the wedding and I have taken the time to pass on your comments to all of my team here, in the hope that we can use them to improve what we do in the future.

Finally, NonieLove, I regret that you have now formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences do not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in my interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you could see fit to visit the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I may extend you every courtesy.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed here recently for a festival.
Last minute booking for a Saturday night €230 BBD. It was a straight choice pricewise between here and Lyrath, this being preferred on the basis of location. Terrible mistake.

On checking in given the card and keys to a room, no problem. When we let ourselves into said room there were guests already installed with working cards and room passes. I imagine that could happen anywhere but my issue is the way it was dealt with. Reception just reissued a replacement room, they were not particularly apologetic. The replacement room was the hotel dump, so had to return to reception to request a change again. Asked directions to a local attraction on the way out, really got the surly response for people that are just causing you too much trouble.

Dinner was tasteless, served in part by a waiter with strong B.O.

This is a relatively modern hotel, but seems to be getting very tatty due to lack of maintenance. At this price end of the market details are important, obliterated name tags and institutional bathrooms won’t cut it. There are too many good alternatives in Kilkenny to waste your money here.

Dear Tiredtraveller,

At the Ormonde, we pride ourselves on our professional service and attention to detail and that is why I was so upset to hear of your disappointment. A good standard of customer care is very important to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely for the inconvenience we caused to you. I assure you that I have investigated your comments thoroughly and highlighted the incidents that occurred to all of my Reception team here. Although it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will experience such a poor standard of service.

Finally, Tiredtraveller, I regret that you have now formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences do not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in my interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you could see fit to visit the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I may extend you every courtesy.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed at the Kilkenny Ormonde for a friend's wedding recently. It is in a prime location, within walking distance to everything. However, we felt it was very expensive (159euro for the night) for what we received. It was a nice room and very clean, but it was small and did not have a fridge or safe. These are things I would expect form a four star hotel with such an expensive rate. The breakfast was adequate but nothing extra special. We weren't shown where the food was and I asked for toast 3 times and never got it. Otherwise the staff were very helpful and friendly and this was a very redeeming factor for the hotel. I don't think I'd stay in this hotel again as I feel that there are other hotels of the same calibre for less money in Kilkenny.

1 Thank EmmaFatz
Dear EmmaFatz,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to psot your review of our Hotel on Tripadvsior

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in any way, at what I believe we do best. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here.

On a positiove note, I hope that you enjoyed your friends wedding reception and I'm delighted that you found our team firendly. I am, however, disappointed that you would not return and if you are in Kilkenny again I would welcome a call so that I could extend you every courtesy and perhaps change your mind.

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2011

i have just returned from my first stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and i can guarantee it wont be my last! the location is ideal as it is so central the staff very friendly and i couldnt find fault with either the facilities in the hotel or the spa which we visited. my only issue was with the lack of lighting in the bedrooms but this was very minor .i would have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Siobhan R,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor.com.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ratoath, Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at the Ormond as a family of four with other friends and their families. We found the hotel staff to be very welcoming and the hotel room was very clean and warm, spacious and modern. The entire hotel was in great order especially the pool and shower area and changing facilities. The breakfast was very good with excellent choices and variations. I would definitely recommend this hotel and the location is brilliant.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear Deirdre M,

Thank you for your review of the Ormonde. I'm delighted to read that you and your friends had a good time and would recommend us.

Cork
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We have just returned from a 3 day short break ( during school mid term ). The hotel offers amazing value for a city centre hotel that includes 3 night B&B plus 1 evening meal. From the time we arrived, the staff at the reception, restaurant and fitness centre were fantastic, they could not do enough for us e.g. We forgot to pack 'arm buoys' for the kids but the hotel lent us theirs each day. Other hotels would simply offer to sell you new sets. We were travelling with a small baby and whenever we needed something such as a specific fruit item or requested baby food to be heated, there was no hesitation from any of the restaurant staff. The Free kids club was brilliant for our 6 and 4 year girls. The kids had a great time with the various activities such as bouncy castle, 'make and do' and movie hour. Hotel food was great for the kids also. Thankfully when ordering from the kids menu, we received 'real' food and none of the usual rubbish some places put on their kiddies menus. The weather was very poor on one particular day so we hung around the hotel lobby area and had an extended lunch, read a newspaper and had some nice conversations with a few of the other guests.....all in all a very relaxing stay for mum and dad!!. This was our first time staying at this hotel and we have been on a few short family breaks before, but this hotel beats all others by a mile......will be returning!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear JC1Cork,

I'm really glad that you and your family all enjoyed what we have to offer here in Kilkenny.

We can't wait to welcome you back soon.