“1 nite break”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Hong Kong, China
“1 nite break”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Great hotel , upgraded to a 4th floor suite which was super. Great buffet breakfast too. Will certainly return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Dear chriseire,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and breakfast in particular, the most important meal of the day!

I hope to welcome you back when your next in Kilkenny.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Dublin
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed here last weekend and really enjoyed it. Thought the staff were super friendly and really helpful. Asked for recommendations for local pubs and restaurants and they were more than forthcoming in recommending their personal favourites, off the beaten track.... which was great. Nice to see Kilkenny from a locals point of view. Ate in the restaurant on the saturday night and thought that the food was really excellent!! We hadnt really expected much as we thought it would be just typical "hotel food" but it was really great.

Our rooms were very clean and tidy and refreshed each day - no complaints there.

Breakfast was everthing you'd expect in a hotel breakfast - plus some! Staff were very friendly and when we asked for something that wasnt on the menu - they did their best to accomodate us.

Had a drink in the bar before dinner on Saturday night.... very friendly barman, made us feel very welcome but not OTT.

Overall, we were really happy with our stay here and would definitely recommend it to friends, other couples....

1 Thank JunoBell
Dear JunoBell,

I'm really glad that you had a good time with us and got to use most of our facilities. It's also great to read that you enjoyed your evening meal and found the best pubs in Kilkenny!

We hope to welcome you back to the Ormonde soon.

ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed here for a romantic get-a-away and had a really enjoyable time. Staff very welcoming and pleasant. Really gorgeous food and atmosphere in the dining room and location second to none in Kilkenny, Highly recommend

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Cra238, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear erikaireland,

Thank you for your lovely review of our Hotel and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

General manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I would highly recommend this hotel, great location, very clean & modern. Very friendly staff (could not do enough to help) The breakfast was amazing & the spa is very good as. I don't have a bad comment to say about Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is going to Kilkenny to stay. I was there with girl friends but it seemed very family oriented too..I would not hesitate to return there with my family.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Yvette M,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.com. I'm delighted that you would recommend us to your friends and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Had a lovely break at the Ormonde. Pool facilities great for kids, baby sitting facilities etc. Dinner was included on one night of our stay and was only OK, tastless and we felt rushed!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear MayoBridie,

Thank you for posting your review of our Hotel. I'm really glad that you and all the family enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm disappointed that you did'nt enjoy dinner, however, I hope that it did not take from your overall impression of us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dublin
Reviewed 15 November 2011

On arrival we were met at reception by a very friendly receptionist. Foyer looked nice and inviting. Drinks machine on the floor beside lifts, which is a great facility to have.

Went to our standard room to find it dull and old fashioned. Then we noticed that some of our towels were stained, one even had something brown and sticky on it. We phoned for replacements and received them very quickly, but we never had a full set of towels after that, there was always something missing. The bed throws also had stains on them which was a bit off putting. Toiletries were very limited. Given very little toilet paper, ran out on last day!

Very noisy corridors. Woken up continuously with banging doors. In the morning the cleaning staff themselves were contributing significantly to this! Kept awake all night due to wedding the second night.

Breakfast was very poor. No porridge, no soya milk, pastries were limited, stodgy and tastless. Marmalade was homemade and had no jelly, it was all rind, and the homemade jam was so runny I had to pour it onto my toast, but it subsequently slid off. Ended up eating a fry which I didn't want. We had trouble getting served for our tea/coffee/toast, staff and manager kept ignoring us, had to stand in middle of floor trying to get someone's attention. We went out for breakfast after that even though we had paid for B&B.

The pool and leisure centre was very nice and enjoyable. We had no problems here, except having to buy a swim hat, rather than borrow one.

The problem is that we were expecting a 4 star hotel, with 4 star standards. Its all about expectations.

Room Tip: Don't go for a standard room, from our experience they aren't nice. Dull, dark, very noisy.
1 Thank Barbara1_Dublin
Dear isetDublin,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

I have to say that I was really disappointed to read your review and I have taken some time recently to speak with all of my team about your experience.

The standard of service you received is simply unaccepatble and in your shoes I would have been equally unhappy. Please accept my sincere apologies for the way you treated. As you will see from our reveiws, we don't always get it right, but we do most of the time. I'm certainly going to use your commenst as a wake up call and I will ensure that no future guest leaves in any doubt that this is a four star hotel.

Meath
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed there recently for my friends Wedding. The room seemed nice and clean, however on closer inspection there was a big cigarette burn and stain on the bed throw - this should have been in the bin and was so obvious that the staff who dressed the bed could no way have missed it. WIFI was on the ground floor but not in the guest rooms as standard which in this day and age is unacceptable.
We got a good rate on the room the night of the wedding as part of the wedding guest package. However as we travelled some distance we wanted to stay the night before. We called them the day before the wedding asking for a room for that night to add to our next night stay. We asked if they would do us a deal as they had admitted on the phone they had several rooms available. The only price they could offer was over €100 each for myself and my partner and considering this was a last minute and midweek day I wasnt prepared to accept, in fact it was the same amount they offered on the main website so no offer or deal was made - they seem to prefer to leave rooms empty rather than give a small discount. We found an alternative hotel nearby, also 4 star, and only had to pay €35pp B&B and that hotel was far superior to the Ormonde.
They also didnt have a smoking area off the street so I thought it looked awful when we arrived to see several people smoking in the vicinity of the front door, it made the hotel look shabby before you entered. They really should have a decent smoking area for smokers away from the front door!
The breakfast the next morning wasnt great. We had to wait some time to be seated, the hot food was chewy and old. We had to grab the attention of the minimal staff to orfer tea/coffee/toast however we had finished eating before they even came to take our order. The staff seemed panicked and made us feel like we had to rush so they could turn around the tables for the next guests. Both myself and my partner felt unwell for the rest of the day after we ate so I would definately not eat here again.
The room the wedding reception in was outstanding. The food was delicious and there were fantastic staff who looked after each guest fantastically. The only downside was that the staff were trying to give the impression of silver service waitressing, however they set food down and took plates away from any side of the guests. Also one waiter decided to poke me in the back twice with his finger to grab my attention to offer me wine without trying to speak to me first (I had noticed his arrival at the table). It would be fantastic if the Ormonde either trained their staff in basic silver service waitressing or stopped making them out to be this type of waitor.
Overall, dispite everything mentioned, we had a fantastic time, we slept like babies and the staff in general were lovely to deal with. However I wouldnt recommend this hotel to a friend, nor would I go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nonie L
Dear NonieLove,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I'm disappointed that you did not get to stay the second night and I'm apologise profusely for the fact that your bedroom was not maintained to an acceptable standard. I am, however, a little confused about your comments on the smoking area, as we have purpose built decking at the side of the hotel.

I appreciate that you enjoyed the wedding and I have taken the time to pass on your comments to all of my team here, in the hope that we can use them to improve what we do in the future.

Finally, NonieLove, I regret that you have now formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences do not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in my interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you could see fit to visit the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I may extend you every courtesy.