“Great start to New Year”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We spent 2 nights here, the second being New Years Eve with my extended family.Rooms were lovely and found the spacious reception a great area for meeting and lots of room for the kids.
Breakfasts were excellent with prompt friendly service.We had New Years Eve dinner included in our package and what a wonderful night they laid on for us.They provided us with a beautifully decorated table for twenty off the main restaurant which meant the children could wander around without annoying other diners.Again the service was prompt and friendly and the food was amazing.A special word of thanks to the restaurant manager who had a lovely attitude and who went out of his way to look after us.Entertainment on the night was very good with 3 separate areas with music.We and all other families stayed in the reception area where the singer was excellent and we danced and sang into the early hours.Again the staff made the night with the streamers ,balloons etc. for the kids.
Already starting to plan for next year just trying to figure out how long we will stay for.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank John K
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear John K,

Thank you for posting your very detailed review of the Ormonde on tripadvisor.com.

I'm delighted that you and your family had a great stay and were able to ring in the New Year in style!

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,751)

Reviewed 4 January 2012

my husband and i stayed in the ormonde for three days over the christmas and what a hotel great food great people and a great location cant wait to go back .

Room Tip: rooms quite spacious
1  Thank carmel f

Dear carmel f,

Thank you for your very positive review of the Ormonde. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed in the Ormonde for a weekend at the beginning of December. The Hotel is in a great location, with a warm atmosphere and friendly helpful staff. Room was perfect and spacious. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant Savour on the Friday night, loved the menu and the food was really excellent!!!

I'd highly recommend for a great stay and we will definitely be back!

1  Thank Hellersbellers

Dear Hellersbellers,

Thank yo ufor posting you rreview of our Hotel on Tripadvisor. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and our food and we hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We travelled from Sligo on the 9th Dec to meet up with my husband's brother & wife for a weekend getaway in Kilkenny. We were very close to booking the Lyrath Estate Hotel but the location put us off because we wanted to be able to walk into the city. The location of this hotel was excellent however the praise stops there. First impression of this hotel we thought it was very dated & not very modern but we were away for a rare weekend without our kids so we weren't going to let that bother us. When we got to our room we were very disappointed. The room was very small, decor was very dated & the carpet was very dirty, as was the sink in our ensuite. To me cleanliness in a hotel is so important. Breakfast the next morning was a disaster, the waiting staff were so rude. I asked for a latte & the look I got from the waitress was noticed by all 4 of us. After huffing & sighing she said "you can have one bit it will be 10 minutes". I felt like telling her to keep her latte. The breakfast itself was horrendous to say the least. The bacon was rock hard, sausages were very much undercooked & our toast when we finally got it, was burnt and cold. Needless to say we didn't eat in the hotel again apart from our breakfast the following morning which was just as bad as the previous morning. We have stayed in lovely hotels around the country, mostly 4 star & I have to say this hotel was the worst by far. We did mention our dissatisfaction to the receptionist when we were checking out & she apologised & said it was not acceptable & that she would have a word with the restaurant manager about the rudeness of their staff. I suppose a follow up letter or indeed phone call wouldn't have gone astray but I heard nothing. The hotel was very busy with Christmas parties so maybe they just were not able to cope with the big numbers but this is not an excuse. We paid a lot of money for this hotel it certainly was not cheap or good value. Such a disappointing break.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Joyobrien

Dear joyobrien,

I acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on tripadvisor.com. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

At the Ormonde, we pride ourselves on our professional service and attention to detail and that is why I was so upset to hear of your disappointment. A good standard of customer care is also very important and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what we believe we do best. The least you can expect from a hotel such as ours is to be dealt with in a professional and efficient manner and I was sorry to hear that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely for the inconvenience and upset caused to you and your party. I assure you that I have investigated your comments thoroughly and highlighted the incidents that occurred to all of my Restaurant and Accommodation Teams. Although it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such a poor standard of service.

I regret that you have now formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences do not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in my interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you could see fit to visit the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy and go some way to make up for your last experience.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Rooms quite spacious, and very clean. location is right in the centre of Kilkenny. beautiful hotel lobby. Restaurant food is delicious. staff very pleasant and accommodating, there is one waiter who works in the restaurant who was just so helpful and is a credit to the hotel. the rooms were very clean, bathroom spotless, but had a very awkward bath/ shower that if you switch it on and its the wrong temperature, you have to change the temperature, whilst soaking yourself, i was a few minutes trying to figure this out. this is the only fault i can find with the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Dear rachie100,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay and the food in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

kilkenny ormonde is a lovely hotel with very friendly staff. its in the heart of kilkenny. the spa treatments are excellent. Its a hotel well worth visiting.

Dear yvonne h,

Many thanks for posting your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor. We're really glad that you enjoyed your stay and the KO Spa in particular.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed one night at the Ormonde Hotel, It was my first trip to Kilkenny and all the staff especially Anna on reception were very helpful giving us directions for things to do and places to eat etc.. Annas recommendations made our trip, we had a great night and will defiantly be back at the Ormonde. Been the week before Christmas it was a very Busy weekend in Kilkenny but yet we had a very peaceful night sleep, which is an extra bonus when staying in a city center hotel. The rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable. Breakfast at the hotel is fantastic with a great selection, we were about 30 mins late for breakfast but the staff were more the willing to serve us breakfast. The staff give this hotel a 5 star feel, they put the Ormande Hotel ahead of all the others. Cant wait to go back.

2  Thank Ryan M
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2011

Dear Ryan M,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Ormonde on Tripadvisor.com.

I'm really glad that you had an enjoyable stay and that our team, including Anna, look after you.

We hope that you get a chance to return soon.