“Great location”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
meath
“Great location”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Went there for a Christmas night out,great location 5 minutes from all the bars,nice gym across from hotel and the castle only around the corner if you want to do something during the day.

• Stayed December 2011
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear karlito0077,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay and took full advantage of our great location.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel in November with my girlfriend. My first impressions where that this was not a four star hotel as walked up to reception. My worst fears where realised when the receptionist greeted me and my better half with her warmest of grunts and bad manner.

When we finally managed to get into our room at 16:00 after the receptionist informed us in what appeared tp be her nicest tone that the room WAS NOT READY (we tried to check in at 14:30) I had to supress my anger with what was one of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in.....and I have been to some BAD hotels in my time. Toilet was dirty and the shower was enough to make your skin crawl.
Instead of wasting more time on their obviously incompetent staff conplaining we decided to make the best of a bad situation and head out for dinner.

After dinner and drinks we headed back to the hotel to be greated by their night staff. I thought that the receptionist that checked me in was bad I was completely unprepared for the rudest most unhospitable unhelpful hotel staff I have ever came across.

On Check out I waited for the receptionist for 15 minutes to get off the private call she was on. I finally just walked out with the key card still in my hand.

the fact that this hotel is so close to the high street is it's only redeeming feature was too little too late.

I will warning everyone that tells me they are visiting kilkenny to steer well clear of this faulty tower establishment.

Room Tip: Save yourself the money you would be better off sleeping in your car.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Shmano,

To say that I am disappointed to read your review of our Hotel is an understatement. Please accept my sincere apologies for the way you and your girlfriend were treated and, as you can see from our previous reviews, it is certainly not the norm here.

I would be happy to talk with you personally, should you wish, to extend you every curtousy and go some way to make up to you the inconvenience that was caused to you both.

Kind Regards,

Generla Manager
Callan, Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We spent 2 nights here, the second being New Years Eve with my extended family.Rooms were lovely and found the spacious reception a great area for meeting and lots of room for the kids.
Breakfasts were excellent with prompt friendly service.We had New Years Eve dinner included in our package and what a wonderful night they laid on for us.They provided us with a beautifully decorated table for twenty off the main restaurant which meant the children could wander around without annoying other diners.Again the service was prompt and friendly and the food was amazing.A special word of thanks to the restaurant manager who had a lovely attitude and who went out of his way to look after us.Entertainment on the night was very good with 3 separate areas with music.We and all other families stayed in the reception area where the singer was excellent and we danced and sang into the early hours.Again the staff made the night with the streamers ,balloons etc. for the kids.
Already starting to plan for next year just trying to figure out how long we will stay for.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank John K
Dear John K,

Thank you for posting your very detailed review of the Ormonde on tripadvisor.com.

I'm delighted that you and your family had a great stay and were able to ring in the New Year in style!

Reviewed 4 January 2012

my husband and i stayed in the ormonde for three days over the christmas and what a hotel great food great people and a great location cant wait to go back .

Room Tip: rooms quite spacious
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carmel f
Dear carmel f,

Thank you for your very positive review of the Ormonde. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed in the Ormonde for a weekend at the beginning of December. The Hotel is in a great location, with a warm atmosphere and friendly helpful staff. Room was perfect and spacious. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant Savour on the Friday night, loved the menu and the food was really excellent!!!

I'd highly recommend for a great stay and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hellersbellers
Dear Hellersbellers,

Thank yo ufor posting you rreview of our Hotel on Tripadvisor. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and our food and we hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We travelled from Sligo on the 9th Dec to meet up with my husband's brother & wife for a weekend getaway in Kilkenny. We were very close to booking the Lyrath Estate Hotel but the location put us off because we wanted to be able to walk into the city. The location of this hotel was excellent however the praise stops there. First impression of this hotel we thought it was very dated & not very modern but we were away for a rare weekend without our kids so we weren't going to let that bother us. When we got to our room we were very disappointed. The room was very small, decor was very dated & the carpet was very dirty, as was the sink in our ensuite. To me cleanliness in a hotel is so important. Breakfast the next morning was a disaster, the waiting staff were so rude. I asked for a latte & the look I got from the waitress was noticed by all 4 of us. After huffing & sighing she said "you can have one bit it will be 10 minutes". I felt like telling her to keep her latte. The breakfast itself was horrendous to say the least. The bacon was rock hard, sausages were very much undercooked & our toast when we finally got it, was burnt and cold. Needless to say we didn't eat in the hotel again apart from our breakfast the following morning which was just as bad as the previous morning. We have stayed in lovely hotels around the country, mostly 4 star & I have to say this hotel was the worst by far. We did mention our dissatisfaction to the receptionist when we were checking out & she apologised & said it was not acceptable & that she would have a word with the restaurant manager about the rudeness of their staff. I suppose a follow up letter or indeed phone call wouldn't have gone astray but I heard nothing. The hotel was very busy with Christmas parties so maybe they just were not able to cope with the big numbers but this is not an excuse. We paid a lot of money for this hotel it certainly was not cheap or good value. Such a disappointing break.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank Joyobrien
Dear joyobrien,

I acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on tripadvisor.com. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

At the Ormonde, we pride ourselves on our professional service and attention to detail and that is why I was so upset to hear of your disappointment. A good standard of customer care is also very important and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what we believe we do best. The least you can expect from a hotel such as ours is to be dealt with in a professional and efficient manner and I was sorry to hear that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely for the inconvenience and upset caused to you and your party. I assure you that I have investigated your comments thoroughly and highlighted the incidents that occurred to all of my Restaurant and Accommodation Teams. Although it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such a poor standard of service.

I regret that you have now formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences do not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in my interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you could see fit to visit the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy and go some way to make up for your last experience.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

dublin,ireland
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Rooms quite spacious, and very clean. location is right in the centre of Kilkenny. beautiful hotel lobby. Restaurant food is delicious. staff very pleasant and accommodating, there is one waiter who works in the restaurant who was just so helpful and is a credit to the hotel. the rooms were very clean, bathroom spotless, but had a very awkward bath/ shower that if you switch it on and its the wrong temperature, you have to change the temperature, whilst soaking yourself, i was a few minutes trying to figure this out. this is the only fault i can find with the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear rachie100,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay and the food in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.