“Christmas Break Weekend Away”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Very Nice Hotel. Central. Staff are helpful. Bar Food is a little slow coming, but not bad.

Room was clean, bed comfortable.

Leisure facilities were very nice. Steam Room, Sauna, All pretty clean and well maintained.

The lock was falling off my bathroom door, I rang them, went for a walk and it was promptly fixed when I came back. No need to remind them of anything. The reception staff are friendly and helpful.

Very easy going hotel and not in a bad way. The overall impression is that they just want to you relax.

One thing though, the breakfast was a bit dried up when I got it to my room. I asked for poached eggs and got a full fry. I didnt complain and didnt mind so much, but it wasn't the tastiest. This could be improved.

Parking is close and charge is €5 per night.
Enjoyed my stay, I'd go back for a weekend break

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear cattykitty,

Thank you for your detailed review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, although I apologise for the broken lock. I look forward to your return for a weekend break.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Just back from a 2 night weekend break at The Kilkenny Ormonde. Really enjoyed it. Really friendly and helpful staff at front desk, Quick and easy check in. Hotel is perfectly located in the town center,close to all bars and restaurants. Spa and leisure center at hotel, good pool area. My wife also enjoyed the day at spa. Had a very nice meal in The Savour restaurant in the hotel, Really nice menu. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite which was spacious and comfortable. Huge beds, Large bathroom with his and hers mirrors and sinks. Enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend the hotel to other travellers. Car park across from hotel and this is charged at 5 euro per night,This is added to your bill at checkout.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Tom71_Tina76,

Thank you for posting you rreview of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

We're really glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon to Kilkenny.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Just over three months ago I got married to Ailish and we had our wedding reception in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel. Firstly let me stay it was a great place to end our great day where we are starting off life together. From the moment we started booking the venue, the staff were on hands to help us along the way and sort out any difficulties that arose on such an event. Colin Ahern, General Manager, the true business man helped us so much before, during and after our great day. We picked this hotel because it is at the heart of Kilkenny City and it was in its Leisure Centre that we met and now become life partners. We also picked the hotel over other hotels in Kilkenny because we saw many many weddings go through the hotel ahead of ours and saw how catered they were. From the moment we arrived after wedding photos, the atmosphere created was great and relaxed for all our guests who were well looked after with the drinks reception. The front reception area is so spacious for the pre-wedding get-together, relaxed atmosphere and people just chatting. The main function room was so well laid out for the wedding banquet with lovely table arrangements and romantic lighting. During the meal the staff looked after us and our guests so well with lovely food. That night when we finally got to our suite, all we can say is wow and it's size is great with the many small rooms accompanying it. All our gifts, baggage and flowers were left there for us. The following morning after watching the unfortunate loss of Ireland in the Rugby World Cup, we joined many family and friends for breakfast where all staff helped us no matter what we asked for. We stayed in the hotel for three nights until we went away on our honeymoon where each night and following morning we were looked after so well. Both of us used the Leisure Centre as guests rather than usual members and it was lovely to relax there after all the hussle and bussle of our wedding. Many of our guests and friends had not been in this hotel beforehand and so impressed with the service and facilities on offer that they would comeback anytime. There are a number of staff that we would particularly mention, namely, Colin, Deirdre, Elaine, Martin, Mags, JP & Roy, that gave us such help in our great day. We enjoyed our experience so much that we booked in to stay for the night, even as locals, to attend the Christmas Night Parties. We are regular visitors here for our coffee & tea fix just to relax in the nice surroundings of the reception area whilst people watching. It is also great that the reception area has free wi-fi for us computer ners to play with our gadgets (my wife's words).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aidanspeedo

Dear Aidanspeedo,

Thank you for your kind words and congratulations to you and Aileen on your wedding recently.

I'm delighted that we were able to play a small part in making the day a great success and we look forward to welcoming you both for many years to come.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

We spent a night in this hotel over the christmas holidays. It was perfect. Firstly, the hotel is located in the city centre - right in the middle but in a quiet street. There is a multistorey carp park opposite with discounted overnight rates. The staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming. The hotel is very nearly new and well decorated. We got a complimentary upgrade to a large family room. The swimming pool was large, very clean and again the staff couldn't have been more welcoming. The swimming pool had flumes, sprays and other things that our two children (boys 4 and 6) loved. There was a children's club for entertainment but my two children who are reserved - didn't fancy it. There was no problem lending us excellent quality floats, armbands etc in the pool and it was the highlight of the trip for my younger son.. The breakfast was adequate - nothing special- but you couldn't fault it. Kilkenny itself is floating on a great wave- it looked great, new interesting shops, great restaurants and lots of things to do - an amazing town. Both the city and the hotel made me feel proud to be irish.

Room Tip: Views at the top are great. We had a nice family room (on the 3rd floor) which was excellent - you...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank UrsieDublin

Dear UrsieDublin,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Ormonde. I'm delighted that you and you rfamily had a great stay and that the boys enjoyed the pool.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Excellent hotel and excellent staff,you could do no wrong booking this hotel.Booked already for Feb break.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Gary F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Ormonde on Tripadvisor.com.

Looking forward to meeting you in February.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Stayed at the Ormonde for a Saturday night (unexpected break from the kids!). On check in the desk was unattended, after a short wait we were checked in by a friendly lady. Car park is a multistory across the street, parking is charged extra on your bill at €5. The room was first floor to the rear of the hotel. Average size double with an extra bed, tea and coffee facilities etc. TV worked fine, basic range of channels. In the lobby all the sofas had the cushions removed and placed on the seats so they couldn’t be used? This meant that the entry lobby which has a small bar at the top was completely empty and made the place feel very dead. We left to go for a drink before dinner and again no one in the large lobby bar. We went to the Hibernian Hotel (2 doors down the street) and what a difference! One of the nicest, most inviting hotel bar I have ever visited. Beautiful seating, big roaring coal fire, table service for the drinks and very friendly staff. Back to the Ormonde. No one around again, seats unusable as before. Came down for breakfast on Sunday morning, very pleasantly surprised. The waiting staff were extremely friendly and the breakfast was very tasty. I thanked the waitress as we left for the excellent service, she replied " no thank you it was a please to serve you"
This is the sort of response that makes people return to this establishment- well done.

Room Tip: As long as you are not worried about a view, the back of the hotel is very quiet. No late night reve...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hilbert

Dear hilbert,

I acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in anyway, at what I believe we do best. Unfortunately your stay coincided with a deep clean of our lobby lounge after the Christmas period and, as the least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to feel comfortable and welcomed I apologise profusely to you.

I'm really glad that you enjoyed our location and breakfast though, I hope that you won't hold this experience against us and return again in the future.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Went there for a Christmas night out,great location 5 minutes from all the bars,nice gym across from hotel and the castle only around the corner if you want to do something during the day.

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear karlito0077,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay and took full advantage of our great location.