“wedding”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 2 July 2012

stayed at this hotel i was delighted with the spaces room and where it situated in the center of the city the food was excelent the only thing i would fault with the hotel is that you have to pay for your car parking thers a lovely swiming pool for the family

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear padnalane,

I'm really gald that you enjoyed your stay, in general and thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Ormonde Hotel.

As is the case with many City centre Hotels, we use the Multi Story carpark opposite us and it simply would not be feasable to pay for parking for everybody. We have, however, subsidised the charge and it is very good value at €5 for 24 hours sucure parking.

I hope that you get the opportunity to visit again soon.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,780)

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Having jusy spent two nights in this hotel I would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends and friends. The staff were incredible friendly and even though they seemed to be run of their feet, you were not left waiting for too long. Stephen Murphy, in the bar would have to get a special mention as nothing seemed too much trouble for him. He could not have been nicer to "the 3 sisters" Its location is very central with 3/4 mins walk bringing you onto the main street. It has a beautiful swimming pool. My only complaint was, this hotel like so many others, did not have great bedside lighting "for the reader" and no mirror where the hair dryer was located. Small gripes but important none the less.
Ann M

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ann m

Dear ann m,

Thank you for your review and your kind words. I have passed them on to Stephen, in particular and I have noted your comment about the lighting. I apologise if it took from your stay in any way.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

my husband and i recently stayed for a night. from the time of first contact to checking out we received excellent professional, courteous and friendly service from all staff in the hotel. We were totally surprised with an upgrade on arrival. the accommodation was spacious, comfortable and spotless. Even though the hotel was very busy on the day with a number of tour groups staying we were never kept waiting and received excellent attention. We have stayed in hotels in many countries and the Kilkeeny Ormonde is up there with the best of them. we are happy to recommend the hotel to business professionals and tourists a like. Anne F.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear AnneCrosshaven,

Thank you for your review and I'm delighted that you and your husband had such an enjoyable time here.

I hope that you get the opportunity to visit again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here for one night as myself and two others were attending a wedding at a nearby hotel, excellent location, very impressive interior and the rooms were exactly what you would expect from a hotel such as this, also the staff at first appeared to be very helpful and keen to serve.
Our problems arose when we returned from the wedding at around 4am, we entered the hotel freely without any checks and decided to ask the male receptionist about breakfast times etc for the morning. It was here that we discovered a group of six people seemingly minding their own business sitting in the small cafe area to the right of the reception desk, one of these was seemingly giving the receptionist a hard time. This man then turned his attention to ourselves and was clearly looking to start a physical altercation, right in front of the staff member. We asked the staff member to notify security and he informed us that there was none and that he would deal with this man if it got out of hand (this particular receptionist didn't quite seem the type to remove a man twice his size from the property) and he also let slip that "he isn't staying here" as in this unsavory character wasn't booked in to this hotel. We eventually left to go to our room. The most shocking thing about this incident was that three paying guests (paying quite alot also) were harassed in the middle of the night by a non paying guest. This was a Friday night, quite lively in Kilkenny, so there was no excuse that there was no security.
We informed the receptionist via a comment form and also face to face the next morning, but no apologetic incentive was offered. My advice to anyone thinking of staying here is that security is nil, who knows who you may bump in to in the corridors or even worse a stranger moving from room to room (as I see some reviews here report items being stolen). Beware

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank B K

Dear B K,

Thank you for your review and first and foremost, I apologise if you felt threatened in any way.

As we are a city centre Hotel, we have security every night of the week. It is simply incorrect and misleading to suggest that security is nil and there are reviews on Tripadvisor of items being stolen.

Finally, as can happen in any public area, my team were dealing with a guest who was a little worse for wear. My team also assure me that the only reason you were acknowledged by that person was that you tried to get involved and this only served to amplify the matter.

I hope that this altercation did not take from your stay in Kilkenny, which is among the safest and secure Cities in Ireland.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I sneaked away from our 3 children for two nights in Kilkenny - we live in Australia but were visiting family in Waterford. The drive to Kilkenny is an easy and pleasant one. We were totally spoilt by the hotel - an upgrade to the Honeymoon suite was very appreciated. The rooms were spotless and tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable and the room very cosy - loved the fact that the windows open!! We were treated to dinner bed and breakfast and was unsure if that was the correct choice.. WELL the evening meal was a delight! the pate so delicious and pork belly main course mouth OU for a very memorable birthday for my darling husband.

Room Tip: found the room very quiet and the hotel location very convenient. Parked the car and didn't use...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Angela J,

Thank you for the review. I'm really glad that you both had a good time and that your husband enjoyed his Birthday.

I hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

stayed here two weeks ago for my hen, group of twelve. The hotel is beautiful, in the best location you can ask for. Staff were very helpful and breakfast was lovely. Extremely reasonable price and have already booked to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Aodhain H,

Thank you for posting your very positive review of our Hotel.

I'm really glad that you and your friends had a good time here and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Tried to book a 4 night family stay in this hotel. Rang hotel direct, was asked for my phone number and told I would be called back promptly as reception was busy - it was a Saturday. Never heard a word back. Thought Irish hotels were crying out for business - obviously not.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Barbican-10

Dear Barbican-10,

Thank you for your review and I apologise for the poor first impression we have made on you.

I have spoken with my team, however, I am unable to shed any more light on the subject as you really give me very little information to go on.

I would be delighted to discuss your experience with you further should you wish and can be contacted on colin@kilkennyormonde.com.