“Poor breakfast buffet”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 21 May 2013

A hotel in the centre of Kilkenny close to many shops, bars and restaurants. The location is very good. The staff reception and bar staff are efficient and friendly. The room was clean and the staff attending to the rooms do a good job. The wi fi is excellent.

However, the breakfast buffet was poor. The bacon was tough overcooked and almost impossible to chew, the sausages are tastless, the scrambled egg was soggy and the potato bread was like eating doagh. There is a limited alternative cheese/ham/bread choice.

The rooms have no air conditioning and no room safe. The room was very warm in the evening and the bed only has one heavy cover with no separate sheets.

Also, the hotel charge for the car park opposite. If you are staying in this hotel the car park should be free for the duration of the stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ALreporting
Cra238, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Dear ALreporting,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.com. Whilst I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, I do note your comment about breakfast. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience and assure you that it is certainly not the normal comment we get, as you will see from our previous reviews.

I hope that you get an opportunity to return so that I can meet with you personally and show you very courtesy.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,751)

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Attended a wedding which was very good, food was lovely as was the service. Was disappointed in our room, as I knew we would not be in the room for long due to wedding celebrations I did not go to reception re room. so my advice to you if staying in this hotel is check out your room first. Our room was small and looked out onto all pipes and air conduction system. Did go into my friends room which was bright and spacious.

Dear livelife29,

Whilst I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding, i'm disappointed that you didn't enjoy your guestroom. I appreciate the review and should you return to Kilkenny don't hesitate ti contact me personally as I would be delighted to show you every courtesy.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Ormonde hotel is overrated. First, the positive. Our first room had a constant hum from vents and staff were very accommodating in getting us another room, 213. What we didn't know is that facing the street on a Saturday night means loud music and voices blaring from bars and the windows have zero sound-proofing. Avoid any room on that wing of the hotel. Also, place needs a facelift. Dirty carpets and stained pillows.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Perlo3,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in any way, at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to have a good nights sleep and I am sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here. I have spoken in length with my team here and although, it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such disruption.

I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future and look forward to welcoming you personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We booked in for 2 days for a wedding last weekend. The wedding was in another location and we chose the Ormonde becuase it's in the middle of town but off the main street. The room was very large and very comfortable. The bed was especially comfortable and I was very impressed with the breakfast. All in all, I would highly recommend it and will certainly be returning.

1  Thank aoife a

Dear aoife a,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your stay with us on Tripadvisor.com. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Myself and my husband booked at last minute as we needed a break away and the Ormonde was just fantastic. Stayed in a Suite on Floor 4 and room was really lovely. Only thing was it was a little cool temperature wise but it suited us as we dont like very warm rooms.
Bar food was tasty and staff in bar and reception were really friendly.
Locationwise it could not have been better. In the middle of town but without the noise of traffic which is a bonus.

Room Tip: The Suite is def worth the bit extra especially for a treat.
1  Thank Clodagh F

Dear Clodagh F,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our Hotel. I'm delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Right in the middle of everything, the Ormonde location is great. Parking is easy right across the street. Very nice accommodations in every way. We did not eat at the hotel, but the bar and restaurant had several patrons. Our only complaint was the firmness of the bed. We like affirm mattress, but these were very uncomfortable to both of us. Still a nice hotel.

1  Thank Beachdeac

Dear Beachdeac,

Whilst I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, i do note your comment about the bed. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused and I hope that it would not deter you from another visit.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

really enjoy our stay here.... staff was soo helpful and very friendly.... the room was lovely and very spacious as was the bathroom which was a plus as there was 4 girls in one room so no fighting over the mirror!!!..wifi was widely available and the food was delicious... Roisin at reception was nice to us too one of our friends was checking in on her own so she made sure that her room was close to our room which was nice and she recommended us places to go to that night..... would def come back to this hotel again:):)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hellie83

Dear Hellie83,

Thank you for your very kind review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor. I'm delighted tat you enjoyed yourselves and I hope to welcome you back again soon.