“Highly recommended, perfect location”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This is a busy hotel, catering for both foreign and domestic guests. As a family of four with two young children we found it an excellent location for external and internal entertainment. First of all the kids club was in full swing offering evening as well as daily activity. The pool and leisure club provided endless hours of swimming and fun. Secondly, the hotel is centrally located close to all the city attractions, including Kilkenny castle, the design centre, the sight seeing trains etc.
Breakfast is special at The Ormande, one of the best I have encountered in a long time. Little touches like providing jars of honey, various jams, fresh and dried berries, nuts, seeds, fruit and yogurt as well as local cheeses, ham and homemade breads provided an alternative to the cooked breakfast.
I would recommend this hotel too for it's rooms which are large, comfortable and noise free.
The staff are extremely helpful and courteous, that goes for front desk, waiting staff and leisure attendants.
A very pleasant place to stay while exploring this exciting medieval city. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Cra238, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear patreflex,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our great City and got to experience much of what we have to offer. Thank you for recommending us and we hope that you get an opportunity to visit us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Perfect location in the centre of the city.The pool and gym were excellent, the room was very spacious and the breakfast in the mornings was lovely. For anyone Coeliac I would strongly recommend the Ormonde as it is one of the few hotels that we have visited that have catered for Coeliac guests.

Room Tip: Higher floor, less noise from bar downstairs
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DMul8

Dear DMul8,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for recommending us. We are happy to cater for all dietary requirements and all of our soups and sauces are gluten free, as standard.

I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

The Kilkenny Ormonde is a fantastic property, situated at the heart of this gorgeous Medieval city. Just a few blocks from the city centre and Kilkenny Castle, you can visit everything while leaving your car parked in the garage across from the hotel.

Our room was huge, with a double and two single beds, plus a massive bathroom. For our first real night in Ireland, I couldn't have picked a better place to stay. Each bed was cozy and comfortable, allowing me to sleep in peace. Which isn't something that happens as my back is not in the best of conditions.

The staff we interacted with was incredible. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we were having a good time and to cater to our needs. Unfortunately I didn't get the names of the ladies who helped us at the front desk, but I would love for them to know that their service does not go unnoticed. They were exceedingly helpful and made sure we had everything we needed.

I hope to be back in Ireland next year and will go out of my way to stay here again. Thank you Kilkenny Ormonde for helping to make my stay in the Emerald Isle a fantastic one!

Room Tip: Our room was situated at the back of the hotel, room 103. It was cozy and incredibly large. I woul...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear MATTHEW H,

Thank you for posting your great review of our Hotel. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay in Kilkenny and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Had a lovely stay in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel on Saturday night last. The fantastic weather really made a big difference to our night away and Kilkenny was a buzz of activity. Helpful staff, lovely food, our large, clean and comfortable room made for a great girls night. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Alison R,

I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay in Kilkenny and the Ormonde Hotel. Thank you so much for the kind review and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed at the Ormonde to attend a wedding in another hotel this weekend - arrived at 1am on Friday night so the usual Parking lots were closed; the night-staff on duty were SO helpful and let us park inside the gated area so we didn't have to go far, or have to move the car in the morning. They were very nice and easy-going which took a big weight off my mind as we had enough to worry about with all the wedding plans.
Really nice stay, lovely comfy bed, nice big rooms and quiet - the noise from outside doesn't penetrate the walls. The location of the hotel is so handy as well that you can walk anywhere you need and just leave the car parked for the weekend. We were only charged €4.50 for 24hrs!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Buddlemug,

Thank you for your kind review of our Hotel. We hope you get an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location for enjoying Kilkennys sights, shops, restaurants & pubs. The swimming pool was also lovely (didn't use gym/spa) & family room was good size. WiFi coverage & speed in our bedroom was best I've ever had. Even very good hotels often only provide decent WiFi in the lobby.

We stayed Sun=>Wed during last week of summer holidays so the kids club was still in full swing. We never expect much from a kids club but on seeing a bouncing castle we figured our 4 year old might last 30mins. As it happened she couldn't get enough of the kids club & Maria in particular was a big attraction (thanks Maria)

Kilkenny does a booming trade in Stag/Hen do's so we didn't risk going Friday/Saturday... most negative reviews reflect that very point about noise etc so if you want a quiet break in Kilkenny it is better to avoid the Stag/Hen parties

Two comments I would make for the hotel to improve
1) Booking mixup
We initially booked a family room over the phone & alhough this confirmation was snail mailed to us our request for a an email confirmaiton was declined (odd?). To make matters worse we subsequently also added an additional room to initial booking which via human error canceled our family room booking. Thankfully we had brought the paper copy & this issue was quickly resolved as they had lots of spare rooms but I would hate to think what would've happened on a peak Friday/Saturday? In this day & age email confirmations should be the standard and not something declined? (save yourselves postage costs if nothing else)

2) Pricing mixup
On arrival we were happy to have lunch in the hotel while we waited for our room. We asked for & ordered from the "bar menu". I've no complaint about the food but when I went to pay I was charged the wrong amount for most items. After some mumbling excuse from the bar man about different menus I indicated the correct price on the menu he provided us. In the few minutes prior to my refund a 2nd customer arrived beside me at the bar with exactly the same issue. In my case the refund was only small but the other guest was overcharged by at least €10. Putting this down as human error I would suggest the hotel either only have ONE menu, or at least dont have the same items on both menus priced differently.

I'll write off the above mixups as genuine human error & leave the review as 5 stars

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Cra238, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear dubs_away,

I acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

I’m really glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, although I do note your comment about the reservation and meal. May I take this opportunity to apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused and I hope that it did not take too much from the rest of your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future and look forward to meeting you personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Last week I spent 3 nights with two friends in the Ormonde, From the receiptionist Roisin to every member of staff I would say they were the best and and most helpful I have ever come across. I could not fault anything with our stay from our rooms, to the food everything was top notch. I would recommend and comeback to this hotel....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank julie s

Dear Julie S,

I'm really glad that you and your friends enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for your lovely review of the Ormonde.

Yours in Service,