“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 4 January 2014

A big thank you to all the staff who made our post New Years stay so comfortable. We had just attended a family wedding the previous day in another Kilkenny hotel and decided to extend our trip by booking into the Ormonde. Fellow wedding guests decided to join us,which created an impromptu dinner of 25 guests which the restaurant staff catered for with ease!
I was also impressed with the service at breakfast the next day. The staff were so helpful. We will definitely keep the Ormonde in mind, on our next visit to Kilkenny .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve W
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Steve W,

Thank you for your lovely review of our Hotel. I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed your post New Years stay with us and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel with our children, we had great stay. Rooms a good size and very clean and well maintained. Kids enjoyed the free kids club and swimming pool, again well run and great staff. Interconnecting rooms great for a family and the location is excellent for the castle and the city. We definitely will be back!!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Limklady,

I'm really glad that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us and took advantage of our great location and interconnecting rooms.

I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here for €89 for two nights b&b incl 1 dinner and 1 lunch. The staff: Excellent. The food: Pretty good. The pool: Pretty good. Location: Excellent. Pillows: a tad hard. Gripes: The inclusive dinner: We were first in the restaurant with a 6:00pm booking. Both the starter and the main course we ordered were unavailable.... so why hadn't the menu been changed? Still the alternative choices were excellent. All in all, a very positive experience. The staff are a credit to this hotel. We would return.

Room Tip: room 230 at end of the hall so little traffic, no view though.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear deedwa,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay in general, although I am sorry if some items were unavailable on the menu.

I hope that it didn't take from your stay too much and i hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed in the ormonde on December 14th for a girls Christmas night out , it was brilliant from start to finish , we got a great deal only 109euro for one night bed and breakfast and evening meal , including a treatment and afternoon tea . we had a fantastic time . They gave us a beautiful room . fantastic food and the treatment was wonderful . The staff were the best I have ever come across . Couldn't fault this hotel in any way , we will be back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Colette O
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Collette O,

Many thanks for the great review and i'm really glad that you enjoyed your Christmas night out.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at the Ormonde for 2 nights while attending a Wedding in December. The Wedding was hosted in the hotel.
The hotel seemed reasonable, but nothing spectacular. The room on the 2nd floor was clean, spacious and reasonably comfortable. The TV and hair dryer functioned as required and there were no problems with the water temperature and pressure in the shower.
Breakfast in the mornings was perfectly acceptable but nothing to get excited about.
The large lobby with ample seating seemed quite nice and as we were at a wedding it served as a useful space for Wedding guests to catch up and exchange stories the morning after. The staff even accepted food orders as breakfast had already completed and the breakfast room was no longer available.
It has now been 3 weeks since our stay at the Ormonde and when I think back on our visit, my abiding memories are none of the above but rather:
1. The clogged sink in our bathroom. Even while brushing your teeth the sink filled and generally took about an hour to drain. In fairness we should have reported it to the hotel staff, but as our stay was short and we were rushing from event to event we never got around to it. However our room was serviced during our stay and we were surprised that the cleaning staff did not pick up on this. The sink certainly appeared to have been cleaned.
2. The front door that was almost impossible to close. I don't think our room was the exception as I heard other guests slamming their doors several times too.
3. Nearly checking out without having to pay. Upon handing back my room card to the receptionist, I was advized that no further action was required as the room had already been paid for. This did not sound correct, so I asked her to check again. She then confirmed that I did in fact need to pay, although only for one night, as the other was free. I appreciate the free night (although I am not clear why it was free, it may have been a special discount for the Wedding guests), but what would have happened if I had left without paying? Would my card have been charged retroactively without me knowing it?
Overall it was not a bad experience. The wedding was very pleasant and the bride and groom seemed very happy. I understand that they had planned the reception quite closely with the hotel staff, so they are far better placed to review this hotel, but I think the hotel staff deserve some credit for generally making the guests feel comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Expatriate_in_India

Dear Expatriate_in_India,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Whilst I'm glad that you enjoyed the wedding you attended, in general, I'm disappointed to read of the problems that occurred and I apologise profusely if they took from your stay in any way.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights in December 2013. Rooms are clean and well equiped. Hotel is in great location for exploring kilkenny. There is lots to see and do in kilkenny you won't be bored!
The hotel staff were very nice. Parking is in a car park across the road and is €5 a night.
The breakfast in the hotel was good, lots of choice.
Will be back to stay again,

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear 504SallyD,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for the very kind review and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Attended and stayed for an Xmas party night here on 6th Dec 2013. Firstly I must say the food was fabulous ( turkey/ham) and staff were ever so friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and tidy but stifling hot for some reason. Now to the party itself, the band were no where near good and very noisy. They created no Christmas atmosphere what so ever. They played about six Xmas songs in the whole night. Not a good party over all but would highly recommend the hotel itself for a stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Georgeevelyn,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. Whilst I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay in general I do note your comment about the entertainment and i apologise if it took from your stay with us.

I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again.