“Good Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
dublin, ireland
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Stayed there for two nights in June. Rooms spacious, staff friendly. Swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym available in the hotel. Spa also available though we did not avail of this. Located in the heat of kilkenny near the castle in walking distance of just about everything. We ate in the hotel steak house in the hotel one of the nights, the service here was poo and the food was below average. The second night we ate in a nearby famous restaurant Rinnochini's which I highly recommend.

• Liked — Location and rooms
  • Disliked — food in the hotels steakhouse
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
London
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I arrived at the hotel with my wife and child, having spent two great nights at the Lord Bagenal in Leighlinbridge. On the plus side the hotel's location is excellent, central and close to the castle. Unfortunately that is where the positives end. The room was small and dark, the small window provided a beautiful view of the air conditioning units. We were offered an alternative room, even smaller window, view of the car park. The breakfast was rushed, we were made to wait for a table then felt like we were on a conveyor belt. I went to use the bathroom and my tea was cleared whilst I was gone, despite my wife still sitting at the table. Dinners were OK, we had two included, although the menu was limited. Ultimately, the hotel needs to refocus itself to cater for a holiday market; this should certainly include more local staff to promote 'Irish hospitality'. The overwhelming impression we were left with was of a basic business orientated hotel, with little charm and a complete lack of customer focus. What a shame.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Views from room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Dublin
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I stayed here in this Hotel on the nights of the 3rd and 4th April of this year and I have to say that this hotel overall was up to date and clean and that staff were professional. My room was faultless except for the view out the window. The staff were great in keeping an item in safe storage , which I had mislaid. The only fault I have with the place was the hot food served for breakfast which I did not like at all.
An unusual feature of the hotel is the sunken Courtyard which is well below street leval adjecent to a basement conference room. The Hotel itself is conviently located in a sidestreet in the heart of Kilkenny City and the afternoon I arrived it was a very pleasent Sunny Day. It was a real pleasure to walk straight out of the Hotel and around Kilkenny Itself.

• Liked — Clean , Comfortable, Modern , Convienent
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel for two nights last month on a weekend break. This is just a note to say how fantastic our stay was and how we were so happy with the level of service we received. Our every wish was attended to promptly, with extreme courtesy and most imporatntly with a smile.
From the first moment we arrived, the staff on reception in particular were exceptional in terms of their efficiency but more importantly their welcome. Nothing was too much trouble and they really set the tone for our stay. The rooms were very nice and the food, including dinner was really lovely.
Having travelled all over Ireland and having stayed in many hotels, this visit gave us back some confidence in the hotel sector in this country. Congrats and well done to everybody in the Ormonde Hotel and we would recommend it to anybody looking for a memorable experience in the Southwest.

Regards L & R

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
athlone eire
Reviewed 12 July 2008

one of the best hotels we have stayed in. from check in 2 check out made to feel very welcome stayed in room 106 it was spotless. great staff great hotel will be back.cant wait.

• Liked — great staff and very clean hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
dublin
Reviewed 28 June 2008

Have stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions and always found it to be brilliant. However, on our last stay, myself, my sister and mum were very disappointed. We had booked a family room and arrived at the hotel at 1pm on Sunday. My mum has diabetes and wanted to lie down. We tried to check-in but were told check-in was 3pm and to wait in the bar while they got our room ready, it would be a few minutes. Fair enough. We waited 45 minutes and were told, just a few more minutes. This went on after 3pm. We asked to speak to the Manager (John?) and he was the most patronising, infuriating, unhelpful person I have ever met. We finally got checked in at 4pm which I think is completely unacceptable for a hotel charging €300 for a room for one night.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The very late check-in time.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank weatherwithyou
Dublin
Reviewed 3 June 2008

I stayed in the Ormonde about two years ago with my husband and we really enjoyed my stay. The rooms were comfortable. The breakfast was really good and dinner in the main restaurant was to a very high standard. The swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna were nice too. It's in a good central location in Kilkenny. Staff were very friendly and service was excellent. Room service was particularly good. Only downside is that is a little pricey. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay - it was very relaxing.

• Liked — Food and swimming pool
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple