“Central but Noisy”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
tipperary
“Central but Noisy”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here for a saturday night, very central but lots of hen nights, constantly woken with noise from extractor fan on roof, but on our way to breakfast met two english ladies who had no sleep due to party in adjoining room.
Staff really nice to us and did not charge us for our breakfast when we complained. If you are in Kilkenny for a party night this is the place for you otherwise maybe a little outside the centre of town

Room Tip: rooms to back of hotel should be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear tipptoptravel,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on Tripadvisor and i appreciate your kind comments about our staff.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in any way, at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to have a goods night's sleep in comfortable and secure surroundings and I am sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here. I have spoken in length, just this morning, with my Night team and although, it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such disruption and poor standards of service.

I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again so that we can show you every courtesy.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Very friendly staff starting from Front desk to housekeeping, Website very easy to surf, Pictures are real and new. Booked my room online and I got Quick reply by email and by phone for my booking if I needed extra details in my room, it so nice to see kids happy playing which mean parents happy too and I will 100% Recommend Ormonde Hotel Kilkenny with all my best Respect for the Staff &Management for their effort to make our stay nice and for exceeding our expectations. BRAVO ET BONNE CHANCE

Room Tip: Superior rooms offers many facilities,Trouser Press Iron,,,
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear vipnh,

Thank you for the really lovely review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to this wonderful City and our Hotel in the future.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I chose to stay at the Ormonde Hotel after reading reviews on trip advisor and had a very different experience to most reviewers . My husband and myself book a two night stay from the 7th to the 9th of March for our wedding anniversary. We also picked this hotel because of its location and how close it was to Kilkenny castle and were looking forward to a early morning walk
around the woods in the castle grounds.

Pros.
All staff were very nice and friendly.
Parking across the street in a secure carpak for €5 night.
Lighting in bathroom was very good.

Cons.
Dark room and a little on the cramped side.
The bed was a bit on the firm side which I found too uncomfortable.
Pillows were very flat and hard.
Didn't like the cooked breakfast - not very hot.
Only had scrambled egg on display you had to ask someone if you want your egg done differently.
No safe in room.

I know this all may sound very picky but the last time I stayed in Kilkenny I stayed in the Pembroke Hotel which I could not fault. The only reason we didn't stay there this time was because they don't have a swimming pool.
Kilkenny is a great town and I am sure we will be back again but unfortunately I don't think I will be staying at the Ormonde.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen139
Dear Eileen139,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on Tripadvisor and I appreciate your very nice words about our Team here.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in any way, at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to have a goods night's sleep in comfortable and secure surroundings and I am sorry that this was not the case. I also note your comments about breakfast. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here. Although, it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such a poor standard.

Limerick
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Arrived at the hotel, and was passed by the bar man in the lobby who didnt even look at me or acknowledge me, who i found to be the very same later in the bar. The lady on reception was lovely, and did save the day with a loan of a phone charger. The bar food and service was disappointing overall, I was waiting for a menu for about 5 mins, while the bar man clearly knew i was there waiting, yet walked over and asked me "menu?" so I said yes, and ordered a drink - and there was the remains of lipstick on the glass - and it wasnt mine!! food was poor, i ordered the goujons and the salad was fairly brown about the edges, wasnt the freshest, and then the lighting was bad, so Id say it was worse than what i saw. no atmosphere in the bar, and just very average service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Liz L,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on Tripadvisor and I appreciate your kind comments about our Reception Staff.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout our hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in O'Reilly's Bar, at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to be served in an efficient and professional manner and I am really sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel on a girlie getaway package. The hotel has a great location close to all the shops and bars. Our room was very spacious and clean. The afternoon tea here is amust! I can honestly say that from the time we arrived in the hotel to the time we left all the staff we spoke to in either the hotel or the spa were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel as it is great value for money and more importantly very welcoming and I hope to return in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Anne-Marie W,

Thank you for the very kind review. I'm delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your recent stay with us and especially the afternoon tea.

I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Don't mix up Ormonde Street and Ormonde Road like I did... I spend 20 minutes looking for this hotel and then I realised my mistake. This hotel's location is better than I thought! It's fantastic! Only a couple minutes from the castle and the main shopping area. Everything's just behind the corner. The lobby looked really classy, loved the atmosphere there. The room was big and the bathroom had a tube which was lovely. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear moansan,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us on your recent visit to Kilkenny. Thank you for the lovely review and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Ormonde Hotel and Kilkenny again.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Having just returned from a fantastic weekend at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel I felt I had to write a review complimenting the excellent level of service and also the quality of the food provided by this hotel. Our room was spotless and extremely spacious which left us feeling very relaxed and rested after our weekend away. We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: We had a large room which had plenty of space and could easily have accommodated a family of four/fi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Caroline O
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Caroline O,

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm delighted that you returned and enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.