“The Marble City!”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay. Would recommend the 4th floor for a relaxing weekend as these are suites...should of got a room with view of Kilkenny Castle but this didn't spoil the fab weekend we had. Very friendly staff. Food in the bar is lovely, huge portions for a great price. Hotel is very central. Breakfast is buffet which is also very good. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarJohn78
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear CarJohn78,

Thank your review of our Hotel and for your kind words about our location and food. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,779)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed in the Ormonde last week for the Cats Laughs festival. From the comfy beds down to the great food, the staff were amazing - super friendly! Location of the hotel was perfect, it was a 2min walk to the Left Bank bar which is a very popular spot. You have Morrisons right next door which is a late bar with dj. I will be definitely returning very soon. I have to personally thank all the staff (from the manager Andrew to the bouncers who were extremely friendly) for making this a very enjoyable stay, thank you from the Noreen's :-) We will definitely be recommending this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nelly1213

Dear Nelly1213,

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay during this years Cat Laughs Festival in Kilkenny. Thank you for choosing the Ormonde Hotel and I'll certainly pass on your kind words to my team here.

Yours in Service

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed in this Hotel for two nights. Excellent accommation and food. Staff very pleasant and location of Hotel great for access for shopping and sight seeing. Would certainly stay again. Plenty of areas to eat in Hotel at reasonable cost.

Dear Ena O,

I really appreciate your very kind review of our Hotel and I thank you for the recommendation.

Yours in Service,

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I only stayed at Kilkenny Ormonde for one night and I probably won't be back. The place was difficult to find, the bed and pillows were hard and uncomfortable and the room was really stuffy. They must have a problem with air circulation because they put a fan in the room which helped a little.

The breakfast was just ok, nothing special.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda K

Dear Amanda K,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

At the Ormonde, we pride ourselves on our professional service and attention to detail and that is why I was so disappointed to read your review. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to get a good nights sleep in comfortable and secure surroundings and I am truly sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely for the inconvenience caused to you.

I regret that you may have now formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences do not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in my interest, in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you can see fit to visit Kilkenny and the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us and show you every courtesy.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Lovely room, food and staff. Nothing too much trouble. Right in centre of town. Easy subsidised parking. Will definitely return. Lovely lounge area with loads of comfy chairs. Room spotless and everything provided.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear lotwen,

Thank you for your very kind review and recommendation of our Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My mom and I recently spent 10 days traveling across Ireland, and we stayed at the Kilkenny Ormonde for our second and third nights in the country. Overall, this hotel was my second favorite—but a very close second!

The location of the hotel can't be beat—it's right in the middle of the city center and you can walk to basically anything you'd want to do. It's also gorgeous—the lobby as well as the rooms. We had a nice view of a courtyard, and surprisingly one of our beds was a full! (I had booked a double twin room, and since full-sized beds are a luxury in Europe this was a great little surprise). The beds were really comfortable, although the pillows were a bit hard. (I'm more of a feather pillow person, but whatever, it's not like I was moving in there.)

The room was super, super clean though—I am a huge stickler for hotel cleanliness and this was superb. The bathroom was very clean, too, although the tub was kind of weird. It was really high off the ground, so when I showered I felt like my head was going to touch the ceiling. And you had to step up/down kind of far to get in/out of the tub. It was fine for a spry 35-year-old like myself, but if you're traveling with young kids or older adults it might be an issue.

Oh, and one thing to note: Face cloths (or washcloths as a lot of people in the US call them) are not generally give to you in hotels in Ireland. However, we asked for them at this hotel and housekeeping brought two right up for us. So if that's something that you like to have when showering, be sure to ask for them.

Anyway... Kilkenny was an amazing little town and the Kilkenny Ormonde really helped make our stay there very pleasant. If I ever go back, I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Megan M

Dear Megan M,

I'm really glad that you and your mother had an enjoyable visit to Kilkenny and thank you for your very kind review. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back some day.

Yours in Service,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here last night with my boyfriend for the comedy festival. The hotel is very clean and rooms are a great size. We ate in the bar and I have to say the food was second to none! I would most definitely recommend the steak sandwich! Absolutely delicious. Staff in the bar were very friendly and chatty. We ordered room service for our breakfast as a treat to finish off our great stay. The waitress who brought up the breakfast in the morning was extremely rude. Which obviously wasn't a very pleasant end to our stay, but I wouldn't let a small thing like that ruin our experience.
I would 100% recommend this hotel. Great stay, great staff, great food!

2  Thank Aoife M

Dear Bradaun1992,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, in general, although I do note your comment about your dealings with a member of my team and I apologise profusely that it took from your stay in any way.

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and I hoe that you get the opportunity to visit again soon.