“Dinner service was not good, night one - better on the second night!”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Port Moody
“Dinner service was not good, night one - better on the second night!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were on 15 day bus tour in Ireland - may 2014. This was our hotel for 2 nights.
Now the first thing that was bad about our stay was that it was comedy festival in town and the hotel was hosting the event. They gave us a room overlooking the front and for two hours while everyone lined up out front - it was a zoo! Once everyone went in, it was quiet until everyone let out! Then it was noisy again for a few hours.
The supper service was a three ring circus when it came to service. Several people had plates and utensils whipped out from under there noses before they were finished eating. Three times the man across from me asked them not to take away his bread plate he was not done. They kept on taking utensils so that by the time desert came - no one had anything to eat it with. No one was happy!
I had to ask for a sheet to sleep on top of these darned heavy comforters all the hotels seem to use. Way too hot for those! I asked for a sheet and when we came back to the room we were left a little pile of misc stuff - and the only thing we asked for was a sheet?
The second night service was better - less people in the dining room and not so anal about whisking away our dishes. Better supper choices as well.
breakfast - they had the only pancake maker machine I seen in 30 days and it was fabulous. I was so sick of traditional breakfasts I was happy to eat some pancakes!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ColinRAhern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear QPW,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Hotel on TripAdvisor. I will acknowledge that it does get extremely busy during the Cat Laughs festival, however, that is no excuse for poor service and I apologise profusely for any inconvenience caused to you. I hope that it did not take too much from your trip to Ireland.

On a positive note, I'm glad that we improved the second night and that you enjoyed the pancakes.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Meath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff are very friendly and professional. Our room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The shower was very good and Breakfast was really excellent. I wish I had room to try the pancakes as they looked really good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear janiel,

Thank you for your review and your recommendation. The pancakes are excellent, so maybe next time!

Yours in Service,

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The location of this hotel was perfect. It was a bit of meandering through town to find it, but it is quite central. The hotel also has a connected parking garage across the street for 5 EUR a night.

The hotel is just up the hill from the Castle and the main part of Kilkenny town, making it's location quite ideal for exploring the sites, bars and restaurants.

It seems that most of the renovation money has been used in the common areas and the rooms themselves were a bit dated. Also our room was on the end which made the wifi nearly inoperable. We also made the mistake of leaving the window open a crack so heard all the revelers on the street below at 3am! Once we closed the window it helped significantly with the sound.

The breakfast buffet was OK but probably the most average one of the entire trip (though we were flooded by a few bus tour groups that swarmed in like vultures leaving little behind in their wake).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DAL504
Dear DAL504,

Whilst I'm glad that you enjoyed the location of our Hotel, I acknowledge your other comments and I apologise to you for any inconvenience caused. I do hope that our shortcomings did not take from your visit to Ireland in general.

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay. Would recommend the 4th floor for a relaxing weekend as these are suites...should of got a room with view of Kilkenny Castle but this didn't spoil the fab weekend we had. Very friendly staff. Food in the bar is lovely, huge portions for a great price. Hotel is very central. Breakfast is buffet which is also very good. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarJohn78
Dear CarJohn78,

Thank your review of our Hotel and for your kind words about our location and food. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed in the Ormonde last week for the Cats Laughs festival. From the comfy beds down to the great food, the staff were amazing - super friendly! Location of the hotel was perfect, it was a 2min walk to the Left Bank bar which is a very popular spot. You have Morrisons right next door which is a late bar with dj. I will be definitely returning very soon. I have to personally thank all the staff (from the manager Andrew to the bouncers who were extremely friendly) for making this a very enjoyable stay, thank you from the Noreen's :-) We will definitely be recommending this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nelly1213
Dear Nelly1213,

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay during this years Cat Laughs Festival in Kilkenny. Thank you for choosing the Ormonde Hotel and I'll certainly pass on your kind words to my team here.

Yours in Service

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed in this Hotel for two nights. Excellent accommation and food. Staff very pleasant and location of Hotel great for access for shopping and sight seeing. Would certainly stay again. Plenty of areas to eat in Hotel at reasonable cost.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ena O,

I really appreciate your very kind review of our Hotel and I thank you for the recommendation.

Yours in Service,

Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I only stayed at Kilkenny Ormonde for one night and I probably won't be back. The place was difficult to find, the bed and pillows were hard and uncomfortable and the room was really stuffy. They must have a problem with air circulation because they put a fan in the room which helped a little.

The breakfast was just ok, nothing special.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda K
Dear Amanda K,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

At the Ormonde, we pride ourselves on our professional service and attention to detail and that is why I was so disappointed to read your review. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to get a good nights sleep in comfortable and secure surroundings and I am truly sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely for the inconvenience caused to you.

I regret that you may have now formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences do not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in my interest, in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you can see fit to visit Kilkenny and the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us and show you every courtesy.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,