“Enjoyed a fantastic weekend at the Ormonde”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Enjoyed a fantastic weekend at the Ormonde”
Reviewed 4 September 2014

Recently stayed in this hotel for two nights.The hotel is very centrally located in the heart of Kilkenny. We parked our car up and ended up not using it for the whole weekend as we were easily able to walk around the city. Although the hotel does not have parking they offer very good value in the adjacent multi-storey car park (it cost us €10 for the three days/2nights).

All the staff were very friendly and more than accommodating during our stay. We were lucky to be upgraded to a Superior Room! The dining room staff were also very helpful. Breakfast was fantastic and the best selection of options I've seen in a while and I was delighted to see pancakes as an options on the menu! We dined in the restaurant one night during our stay and had a delicious meal. We didn't manage to have the afternoon tea but spotted it being served to some other guests during our stay and it looked great so would love to try this the next time.

The leisure facilities were very clean and tidy and we enjoyed having access to these over the weekend stay. We also took advantage of the KO spa during our stay and would highly recommend it. Good prices and treatments were fantastic.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Gouldavoher,

Thank you for the lovely review and recommendation. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Recently stayed in the Ormonde Hotel two nights for a wedding.
Staff very friendly and most helpful.
Leisure centre great to use, although I wish they would play background music of more
southing nature.
Location ideal for both walking the town, shopping and driving to outline tourist spots.
Visit Kells village about 20 minute drive.

Room Tip: Connecting room doors good if you know the people next door, alternatively no. If a wedding on, the...
Dear golf009,

I'm really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, in general, although, I do note your comment about the music in Gym and I apologise if it took from your stay in any way. I hope to get the chance to welcome you back again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We were booked into the Ormonde via a tour of Ireland. There were three of us, and usually that means three twin beds in a room the same size as used for two people. The Ormonde gave us a huge room, which was more than twice the size of the standard size room. Needless to say, we were very comfortable. The room itself was well maintained and clean. Reception was very pleasant and helpful. We also had dinner and breakfast at the hotel, both of which were very good. If ever in Kilkenny again, the Ormonde would warrant a return trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear TravelinT7,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us on your recent visit to Kilkenny and thank you for taking the time to give us such a nice review.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

would normally go to Dublin when we go to Ireland but were advised that Kilkenny there would be lots to do and we werent disappointed. The hotel great location. Excellent spacious room and staff great.

Dear Angela S,

Thank you for such a kind review and recommendation and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Ormonde again soon.

Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I was a bit worried that the room would be noisy as the hotel is just up from a busy loud crossroads (bars blaring out music) but pleasantly surprised very quiet and peaceful room. Decor ok. Standard stuff. Dinner in hotel ok too. Part of our weekend deal otherwise I'd have eaten out two nights. There's lots of eateries in Kilkenny. Wifi didn't work in room. Hotel apologised. Leisure centre fine, enjoyed hot steam room and jacuzzi. Bar bit dead. Better ones nearby. Very central location. Parking extra, €10. Overall an enjoyable relaxing stay.

1 Thank wicklowcharm
Dear wicklowcharm,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor. I have taken on board your comments and apologise for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

I'm really glad that our location was suitable for you and I trust that our shortcomings did not take too much from your weekend in our great CIty.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2014

It seems that this hotel, which served us so well at Easter, has undergone a bit of a change.

If I had to guess at the change, I would say staff cuts.

The problem I found with the hotel this time was that it is clearly understaffed. We had problems with this in several areas:

Staff overworked in the restaurant
Staff overworked in the bar
No staff available to run the kids club

I would say that what staff there were were excellent, many of them going out of their way to help.

One other issue I would bring to their attention is that the meals in the main restaurant were, without wanting to exaggerate, appalling. I ordered coq au vin, I did not expect to receive three chicken drumsticks along with some undercooked vegetables in a sauce that quite clearly cam out of a packet. Needs work.

1 Thank Hoop66
Dear Hoop66,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm disappointed that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us, as you had done last Easter. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely for any inconvenience or upset that we caused you and your family.

I assure you that little has changed and our team are still as dedicated to excellent customer service, as we have always been. That said, we obviously didn't get it right during your most recent stay.

I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future so that we can restore your confidence in us and show you every courtesy.

Wiltshire
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This hotel was a little tired, however, the service was very good and the location excellent. The pool and leisure facilities were good.
We has a room on the third floor at the end of the corridor which was a great location as it was very quiet.
The cold buffet breakfast was very limited but the hot breakfast was fine.
Kilkenny is a lovely city and the location makes this a good hotel to stay in.

2 Thank Raskin72
Dear Raskin72,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, in general, although I do note your comment about breakfast and I hope that it didn't take form the rest of your stay with us in Kilkenny.