“Horrendous reception staff, worst I have ever experienced”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Ireland
“Horrendous reception staff, worst I have ever experienced”
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I have stayed in many hotels in my time but the staff at reception here have got to be the worst. They were rude and unhelpful from the moment we landed until check out!.
I stayed 2 nights with a small group and I was the main point of contact for the booking so had to ring them on a few occasions to arrange rooms etc. They appeared pleasant on the phone however face to face was another story –they spent most of their time chatting amongst themselves while we were waiting to check in and then it seemed we were an inconvenience to them when they eventually decided to check us in !!!! they barked answers to any questions we had and barely made eye contact.
Most unhelpful staff ever!!! We ate dinner in the restaurant which was nice and were in the residents bar over the 2 nights and were pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff in both areas there so it’s a shame the reception staff were such a let down.
On check out I had paid by credit card but they said they would invoice me for the amount and when I asked for see the bill/receipt the receptionist initially refused saying they couldn’t provide this ????? seriously !!! We had a 2 night special which included dinner but they tried to charge us for the dinner anyway. Check out was at 12 and they had a letter put through the door offering a special rate for an extra stay as they were quiet however when we werent down checking out at 12.05 the receptionist was straight onto the rooms requesting we vacate immediately as checkout time has passed .....
Spa was lovely however be aware that it is not located in the hotel, but across the road. (its not a huge issue and the road is very quiet as the hotel is located up a side street).
Location wise its perfect and near plenty of restaurants, shops and pubs.
Rooms were nice – ours were located just off reception and we didn’t have any issues with noise.
I would probably come back again but would be delighted to see some customer service training being conducted in the meantime !!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2009
Dear efioa,

I would like to acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, be they complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

I can assure you that I have spoken in lenght today with my reception team. Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. May I apologise profusely to you and your party as it is simply unnacceptable for you to be treated in such a manner. On a more positive note, i appreciate your kind and balanced comments regarding the remainder of your experience in our hotel.

Finally, efioa, I very much regret that you may have formed a poor impression of our Hotel. I am confident, however, that your experiences would not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in our interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I would be delighted that if you are returning to Kilkenny that you could see fit to stay in the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy and a competitive rate.

Yours in Service,

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2009

The Ormonde is a nice place, perfect location for walking abt Kilkenny.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Dear TR1,

Many thanks for your review and photographs posted on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and our location in this great City.

If you are returning please do not hesiate to contact me so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Yours in Service,

Ireland
Reviewed 19 September 2009

The hotel and rooms are nice, but contrary to their claims they do NOT have Wi-Fi in the rooms. They do have ethernet ports, and they will lend you a cable, but you will be tethered to the desk as a result. The breakfast buffet is dreadful: watery instant scrambled eggs, fatty meats, tiny croissants. The steak I had for dinner in their restaurant was mostly fat, and they were blasting rock music through terrible speakers for most of the meal. Location in the town center is great, with a parking garage across the street (no charge for hotel guests). The spa is also across the street, accessed via a basement tunnel, and also free to hotel guests. Good pool, sauna and steamroom.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear YanksAbroad,

May I apologise profusely to you for the poor quality of food on offer during your stay. I can assure you that i have highlighted your comments with my team in the kitchen, with a particular emphasis on our breakfast buffet. On a more positive note, i appreciate your kind comments about our leisure facilities.

Finally, YanksAbroad, I very much regret that you may have formed a poor impression of our Hotel. I am confident, however, that your experiences would not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in our interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I would be delighted that if you are returning to Kilkenny that you could see fit to stay in the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy and a competitive rate.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

dublin
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Just back from a two night break in the Ormonde hotel- and how I wished that I had booked somewhere else. Rooms were small and so loud, we could hear the people next door and those outside on the road. Beware if there is a function on in the hotel as the music can be heard throughout the hotel. The leisure center left alot to be desired, there were swimming lessons on which meant there was hardly any room to actually swim. The showers in the leisure center were so bad, I couldn't even get the suds washed out of my hair! Didn't try the spa and glad I didn't. The location was really good-close to everything- the car park is a multi storey located across the road, this was a bit of a suprise, the hotel validated the card though. We ate in the steakhouse restaurant, it felt like an opening night, nothing went right, our order was wrong, waited half an hour for dessert- overall would definately not recommend this hotel or ever go back there myself.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2009
Dear MKLDUB,

I would like to acknowledge your recent visit to the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review on Tripadvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, be they complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

At the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel we pride ourselves on our customer care and attention to detail and that is why I was upset to hear of your disappointment with your recent visit. May I apologise profusely to you for the poor level of service you experienced and assure you that I have addressed you comments with the entire team here. Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what we believe we do best. I can assure you, however, that I have put measures in place to ensure that such incidents experienced by you are not repeated.

Finally, MKLDUB, I very much regret that you may have formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences would not represent the normal high standards that prevail here in catering for the needs of our guests. It is certainly not in our interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you can see fit to visit the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. I would be delighted if you contacted me personally so that I can reassure you of this and offer you a very competitive rate.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

dublin
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Just back from a three night stay in Kilkenny and we had a lovely time. The room was big and perfect for the four of us. The food in the resturants was of high standards. Tired the spa and it was also really enjoyable. My two young children really enjoyed the kids club. my only gripe would be the times of the kids club(during the day we were out and about and would use the club in the early evening) and the childrens use of the swimming pool both closed quite early as a result we were back to the bedroom quite early. I would go back

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dublin
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Stayed here with a hen party, and i know hotels generally dont have a great lot of time for hens but this place was ridiculous! First they had no rooms ready when we arrived and after being told to wait in the foyer they completely forgot aout us and started to check others in before us! The rooms are very small and lets just say the view left alot to be desired! The staff were not all useless but the majority of those we dealt with, looked miserable and not very friendly at all. I wont be going back here. The car park isnt even with the hotel, its a city centre one so dont leave any valuables there. You wont feel safe leaving the car!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
kildare i
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We have just returned home from a three nite stay in this hotel it was a nightmare ...firstly when i went to book over the phone there was nobody in reservations to take my call so i was told that somebody would contact me within 15 mins but 2 hrs later still no phone call anyway i managed to make a booking .We arrived on Sunday 16th of August really looking forward to our 4 star hotel but unfortunately we never came across 4 star quality ...rooms were average ,breakfast was average and the restaurant o reillys steakhouse was an absolute disgrace ,We had a dreadful meal from start to finish on the Sunday night and the same again but worse on the Tuesday night we were actually served our main course before our starters and our warm brownies with ice cream were frozen brownies with ice cream need i say anymore ...even on checkout we had hassle there was an error on our bill we were been overcharged and it took three different members of staff to sort the problem out .I will never be returning to this hotel it was a faulty towers experience in a so called 4 STAR hotel .

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family