“Hotel in the City”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin
“Hotel in the City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2009

I stayed at this fine Hotel a few years back but they have recently had a refurb and its very different now.
The lobby Lounge is very striking as soon as you see it with high ceilings and the tall bar with a range of displays.
We treated ourselves to some delicious scones but i see the same Teapots are being used the ones that spill tea all over the place.
So we got our keys from a sweet girl (Rachel) who directed to the lifts and went through all hotel Amenities.
The rooms are modernised with nice tv but the strong smell of air freshner would choke you as im an Asthmatic other then that .

We ate in the fine dining restaurant where we were greeted by a nice professional young man brought us to our table and offered us our menu's and a wine list.
I ordered the 10 oz steak well/done but when it came out itwas poor quality as i have eaten many of steaks and wrote reviews for food colums before the steak was so small and the presentation was def not michelan star.
We made our way to the hotel bar which i have to say was our best experience a friendly barman (ken) who made me a lovely cosmopolitan or 2 he spoke with us and made us feel very welcome.
Overall a nice stay will try again soon but will prob eat out next time

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2009
Dear readerhayley,

Thank you for posting your recent review on Tripadvisor.com. I am always delighted to receive feeback from our guests as it is only by our customers letting us know their views that we may maintain our high standards.

I am delighted that you found our hotel comfortable, however, I am bitterly disappointed that your meal was of poor standard. I assure you that I have taken your comments on board and spoken to all in the Kitchen. I hope that on your next visit to Kilkenny you could see fit to stay at the Ormonde Hotel again as i would be delighetd to have the opportunity to make up any inconvenience caused to you. Please contact me directly so that i can show you every courtesy.

Colin Ahern

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Ann Arbor, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel was a nice property in a good location in Kilkenny, Ireland.
Kilkenny is a vibrant and active city located between Dublin and points southwest.
We had a lovely room on the third floor with a rear facing window. Consequently, we didn't have any street noise. However, walls in Ireland seem be universally very thin! We did get drifting noise from other rooms. Bring your earplugs.
The room was nicely appointed with contemporary furnishings/decor and had enough space in room/bath so we didn't feel crowded. The main lobby has a large lounge with a bar and coffee service. The lobby itself could use a facelift - it's rather tired looking.

There was a spa and rec center available to guests as well as a parking structure (validated by hotel) directly across a narrow front street. The breakfast bar and
prepared service was good. Food was ample and adequate. We did not eat any other meals in the hotel.
Overall, the hotel offerred a nice respite from the road and gave us easy access to all activities in the city.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2009
Dear Lughsa,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.com.
It was really great to hear how you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed our facilities and services we offer as well as our ideal location, right in the heart of Kilkenny City.

I hope that on your next visit to Kilkenny you will see fit to stay at the Ormonde Hotel once again and please contact me directly so that i can extend you every courtesy.

redondo beach, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2009

this hotel was great! the central location, it was clean and quiet. we used it for a base for 3 days..to go around...the day trips from here were very convenient. The hotel food in the lobby was great!!! and really well priced. the breakfast was great too

Dear pkq,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.com.
It was really great to hear how you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you found our hotel comfortable and you enjoyed our food. I hope that on your next visit to Kilkenny you will see fit to stay at the Ormonde Hotel and please contact me directly so that i can show you every courtesy.

West of Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

This was definitely a good experience. It was our first time in Kilkenny and we were very impressed with the city. It has that intimate feeling that you would find in the likes of Galway where it is lovely to stroll around taking in the sights. It was just before Arts Festival week so there was a buzz. The Ormonde hotel was great. Although it was hard enough to find as there is a junction just before the right hand turn up a narrow street. We also were confused about parking and I had to ring the hotel from the carpark across the street and confirm that it was indeed part of the hotel so I was reassured that we would not have to sell the car to pay for the parking ticket!! First impressions were good when we walked into a very impressive foyer. Although a slight intake of breath when the receptionist couldn't at first find our booking but that was quickly sorted. The hotel room was fab, modern, clean and we ended up extending our stay for a night more than originally planned. We only ate dinner one night in the hotel which was fine but there was nicer food in the Hibernian just down the street and we tended to drift in there when hungry. I must mention the really helpful member of the waiting staff at the Ormonde Hotel who when we missed breakfast one day told us to take a seat in the foyer and arrived out with full Irish breakfasts and cereal for our child. Others might be inclined to say too bad you missed it! But she really impressed us. The bar was lovely and had a nice smoking terrace to the front with seating for us creatures who still have some anti-social behaviours! The pool and leisure centre were great and there was a good kiddies club. Everything was in walking distance, cinema, bowling (although with a child had to take a taxi back), the delightful langton's, the castle, good shops. We never moved the car for the full time we were there. Overall it was a very positive experience and the kind weather helped. The last night we stayed on the Friday was a little noisy as people had started arriving for the arts festival and the welcoming reception was more or less underneath. But I would recommend it highly for those with kids and also couples wanting to soak in the atmosphere of a wonderful city.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2009
Dear WestofIrelandToby,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.com.

Our experienced and friendly staff are our biggest selling point and I have passed on your kind comments on to them.

Limerick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

I have just returned from a midweek Supervalu Break at this Hotel with my husband and daughter of 2 year 9 mnths. We had requested an early check in, as check in is not till 4.00p.m. and this was no problem and we were checked in with no waiting around in less than 5 minutes and very efficiently. We also requested a quiet room and we got this, overlooking a back carpark. Carparking for the Hotel is in the carpark across the road and when you are checking out your ticket is validated by Hotel Reception so parking is free. The rooms are comfortable but my daughter's bed was up against a radiator which thankfully was not turned on but the top of the radiator was at her head height but we just used the throw which was on her bed to protect her head at night from this. There is a flat screen TV with channels and tea/coffee facilities also in the room and an iron and ironing board in the closet. Shower and Bath combined. Room small but comfortable. On our floor at either end of the corridor there was a bowl with fruit for your enjoyment while staying on that floor, when we checked it out initially the fruit was withered and bits gone out of same but it had been replaced by lovely fresh fruit the following evening. All the staff are very friendly but could do with more in the Restaurant which brings me to our inclusive dinner, which leaves alot to be desired. Service is slow. This was served in O'Reilly's Steakhouse, the Savour Restaurant was not open at night for dinner but this is where breakfast is served. Breakfast is buffet style and always plenty in stock. There was a charge of 5euro each morning for my daughter's breakfast! Back to the dinner, there is an extra charge of 8euro for the 10oz steak, there is a 6oz on the menu but to be honest there isn't alot of difference in size between them as we had them. If you want to enjoy a glass of wine buy the bottle as the glass costs 6 euro. The ceasar salad is just lettuce, sauce and grated cheese not a tomatoe or pepper in sight!! The Kiddies meal is very good though, the chicken coujons are made with real chicken and there are beans and chips with it, 3 coujons. This was the only night we ate in the Hotel on the other nights we ate at Matt the Millers which is just over the bridge and it is really lovely, a pub but not pub grub. Try the T-Bone, chicken or sea bass, the potatoes are fab. The Hotel itself is very pleasing and furnished lovely, there is a lounge to the right as you go in for coffee etc., and seemed busy, a meeting place. The Hotel also has a Leisure Centre and Spa with access by crossing the road or via a walkway under the road in the Basement of the Hotel. I visited the Spa and I have to say it is lovely, had the pamper hour and it was very nice and relaxing. We went to the pool one afternoon and when we arrived there I explained that we were guests of the Hotel and that we would like to use the learner pool with our daughter, we were less than 10 minutes in the learner pool when we were asked to leave by a swim instructor who said that she needed the pool to teach lessons. She said that there should have been a note in our room or we should have been told by the staff. I explained that we were not and I got the impression from her that this happened alot, so word of warning check as to whether or not there are going to be lessons in the afternoons, morning seems to be the best time. I didn't use the Gym but I did see it and its looks state of the art, plenty of threadmills!!! This Hotel is very central to all the goings on in the City, minutes from the Castle and the Design Centre and the other boutiques, shops, restaurants and cafe's of which there are plenty. A lovely city full of nooks and crannies, little streets and alley ways everywhere. My final word of warning is to double check your bill when you are checking out. We were being charged for extra meals in the restaurant which we did not have and when this was pointed out to the Receptionist I didn't get a very meaningful apology rather one that was muttered, an afterthough, and was actually made to feel as if we only there on vouchers anyway. This was very disappointing as we had had a lovely stay despite the other words of warning which is really all they are I am not finding fault with the Hotel, except for this incident when checking out. Double check your bill, I had an idea what I should be paying and this was way over it, every penny counts in these challenging econimic times and we are being encouraged to staycation!!! Overall I would recommend this Hotel.

1 Thank R0se0fTralee
Dear Roseoftralee,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.com.
It was really great to hear how enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed, however, to hear of how you were dealt with on checkout. Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses if we failed at what I believe we do best. Please accept my apologies and I hope that the positives taken from your stay with us far outweigh the negatives.

I hope that on your next visit to Kilkenny you will see fit to stay once again at the Ormonde Hotel and please contact me directly so that i can extend you every courtesy.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

I stayed at the Kilkenny Ormonde September for my first time with my family and found the Minute we checked in we Felt welcomed, Greeted by a young Man with Dark hair
with a lovely smile he gave us a comp upgrade as it was my Husbands Birthday!
He also took our Dinner Reservation for us that evening we ate in the Steakhouse which i have to say was one of the best meals i have ever had the Steak was cooked to perfection simply Delicious.
Our Bedroom was really nice with Plazma tv, Mini Bar the only fault was their was no air-conditioning but the young Man again arranged a portable fan for us which was perfect.
The lesuire Club was a real Treat for our Kids as their is a kiddies pool there too
The bar staff were very Friendly and Helpful
Overall this hotel is Superb from the Reception Staff to Breakfast Staff and the lady who checked us out was very nice and Professional we will be back soon guys and thank you so much for looking after us
Angela x

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2009
Dear Angela,

galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

Stayed inThe Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel for our summer hols this year and I it was excellent. We had a room with a double and two singles perfect for the four of us plenty of room, but a will warm at night, Breakfast was buffet and plenty of everything you could want. The pool was great of the kids they really enjoyed it, there was also a kids club which we availed of in the afternoon to give my wife and I some time out. The Kilkenny Ormonde is located, right in the city centre with complimentary parking in a multi story car park across the road and reception in the hotel valadated your parking when needed.
In the evening we went for walks around the city and strolled back to the hotel at our ease,The Castle is 5 minutes walk from the hotel, with a great play ground of the kids.After staying for four days in the Kilkenny Ormonde I have nothing but praise of the hotel, its facalities, its staff,is location and most of all its food which is very important to me!! I would have no hesitate to return to the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel for our mid term break in October and we are looking forward to it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dear gcool,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your summer holidays in Kilkenny and the facilities that we have to offer here.

I loof forward to welcoming you back to the Ormonde Hotel once again, maybe during the next mid term break and please contact me directly so that i can extend you every courtesy.