“Excellent”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Bedford UK
“Excellent”
Reviewed 10 March 2010

My husband and i had a 2 night break at the hotel Ormonde in Feb 2010. We cannot fault anything about our stay, The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was in a good location. The food was excellent in the hotel. We hope to go back and stay again next year.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2010
Dear Sumpta,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and food.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Wexford
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Recently stayed in the Ormonde Hotel In Kilkenny for a short break.

Hotel was very nice, very well furnished overall. Everything was kept in prime condition - hotel has been well maintained.

Food - We had some bad experiences with our breakfast on 1st morning when we were given a freezing cold pot of tea and burnt toast. However, once we pointed it out waitress made sure to refill and made sure on every subsequent morning tha everything was to our satisfaction. Dinner in dining room was very good quality and I really enjoyed it but more variation each night would be better. Menu was the same standard every night in general. Still, food was good quality and service exceptional. Staff were very nice and helpful.

Room- Very nice and internet facility very useful.

Leisure Facilities - Great gym and swimming pool, top class.
Great SPA - my family member tried this out and really enjoyed it. Some of the treatments were good value as well.

Overall
Good - Great Location (2 mins away from castle), food quality, staff, cleanliness

Bad - Lack of Variety on Menu in Dining Room, No working fridge in room

Conclusion- Great Hotel in general.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2010
Dear jck2003,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am always delighted to receive feedback as it is the best way for us to improve the service we offer.

I have passed your comments regarding the menu variety to the kitchen team and i hope that it did not take to much away from the other positive aspects of your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Aussie in Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2010

On arriving at the hotel the receptionist could not find our booking which was booked through the internet. She stopped looking and attended to other people who arrived for check in. She eventually found it (out the back office). Only one receptionist working for a busy hotel. The room was at the end of the corridor on the first floor and was nice and clean and the facilities lovely. We were woken during the night (twice) with loud crashing that we think came from the side of the hotel where the service area is. On both occasions we rang the reception to notify them and they did a "walk" around and said they could hear nothing! The third time we were disturbed at 4am was when the "Hens" girls went to their room yelling and laughing! This would have to have been the worst hotel ever i have "slept" in. Not a hotel to go to if you actually want to get what you pay for - a good nights sleep!!. Our car in the car park across the road i am sure was disturbed less (it was included in the price of the hotel) At check out our bill was deducted by 50 euros by management without asking for it. Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Central
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed January 2010
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AussieinIrelandAlfa
Dear AussieinIrelandAlfa,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I was very disappointed to hear of your experience and although Kilkenny is a very lively city at the weekends, in particular, the least you can expect is a good nights sleep. May i take this opportunity to apologise to you for the poor level of service you encountered.

If you are in Kilkenny in the future I would be delighted if you would contact me personally so that I may have the opportunity to show you every courtesy and the real Ormonde experience.

Kind regards,

Dublin
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We had a pleasant stay at this Hotel, the rooms were nice, the food in the restaurant was poor. The only thing that spoiled our experience was the rude receptionist who should not be in any position where she has to deal with customers.

Dear Raylynch81,

I acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel on our very popular Girlie Package and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Customer care is of paramount importance to me and this is simply unacceptable. I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. May I apologise profusely to you for the behaviour of that particular staff member and assure you that i have spoken in lenght with them.

Finally, Raylynch81, I regret that you have formed a poor impression of our Hotel, although I am glad you found the rooms comfortable. I am confident, however, that your this experinece of our staff is not the norm. I would be delighted that if you are returning to Kilkenny that you could see fit to stay in the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Gleoite
Reviewed 18 February 2010

My fiance and I have just spent a great weekend in Kilkenny, based at the Ormonde hotel and all the better for that. We really enjoyed the food and were especially pleased with the sparkling, comfortable rooms. Staff were extremely friendly and the spa treatments and leisure centre were very impressive. We will be back.

Dear Gleoite,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here over valentines weekend, in particular the food and the leisure facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Ireland
Reviewed 9 February 2010

I had previously stayed in this hotel in Oct 09 & found it wonderful. All staff so friendly & food fabulous & our spa treatments heavenly. So I booked myself & 2 friends for the girlie breakaway for one night at 115 euro each which was b&b, tester massage, glass of champagne & dinner. However I was so disappointed with this stay, we felt very rushed having our massages in the spa, the restaurant was fully booked so we ate in the steak house, we were given the wrong menu's so we had to reorder. We never received our free champagne upon arrival nor was it offered at any other stage of our stay. We had to wait over 20mins to check out that morning only one receptionist on, she did however apologise for the delay. The hotel was very busy that weekend (30th Jan) but it was also just as busy when i stayed during the October Bank Holiday weekend where I had no faults. Came away a little disappointed as I'd given the hotel such a good review to my friends.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2010
Dear IrishLassIreland,

Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. May I apologise profusely to you and your friends as it is simply unnacceptable for you not to receive your bubbly and I assure you that have spoken about your comments to the team in the KO Spa and on the front desk.

Finally, IrishLassIreland, I regret that you have formed a poor impression of our Hotel. I am confident, however, that your first experience of this hotel is the norm. I would be delighted that if you are returning to Kilkenny that you could see fit to stay in the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.

pixie1411
Reviewed 4 February 2010

I stayed at this hotel with 2 girlfriends last weekend and am surprised by glowing reviews as we had several complaints with this hotel. Firstly we booked the getaway package, €149 pps for 2 nights with one meal included. Not the cheapest in this climate so we expected alot and unfortunately were disappointed. Firstly we weretold we didnt need to book the inclusive meal. When we got to the hotel we enquired again and the restaurant is closed on Sunday nights which we werent told and it was booked out on Saturday night. We had to settle for the steakhouse. The package menu was very poor, no choice and wasnt the meal we had wanted. My friends salad for starter had brown wilted lettuce and some cheese on op and was clased a Caesar salad. My other friends sirloin steak was very poor and she couldnt eat it. We were overall very unhappy as we felt short changed for the meal and the fact they didnt tell us the restaurant was closed compounded this. The leisure centre wasnt great either. The spa was closed when we got there on the Saturday, was only open to appointments on Sunday, so we couldnt book in there either or use their leisure facilities. Rooms look alot nicer in pictures then in person. They were clean but the beds were really uncomfortable, I couldnt sleep either night we were there. On the plus side the bar staff were absoloutely lovely, very courteous and accomodating. The location was very central too.

We were really disappointed with this hotel. I feel we paid them alot of money between us and didnt get value for it. There are plenty of hotels in Kilkenny offering similar packages and I would really encourage people to shop around before going with this one.

On a separate note if your going to Kilkenny, Matt the Millers is a great spot, nice food, great staff and atmosphere, they have a live band and are open until 2am on Monday nights if your doing a midweek break. Morrisseys is a good spot for Sunday nights, its between the Hibernian hotel and the Ormonde hotel. The Left Bank is a good spot too.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank pixie1411
Dear pixie1411,

I acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor.

To say I was disappointed to read your comments is an understatement. Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. May I apologise profusely to you and your party and assure you that I have addressed all the issues you have raised.

On a more positive note, i appreciate your kind and balanced comments regarding our bar staff and location which is second to none in Kilkenny.

Finally, pixie1411, I regret that you have formed a poor impression of our Hotel. I am confident, however, that your experiences are isolated. I would be delighted that, if you are returning to Kilkenny, you could see fit to stay in the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.