“Friendly staff - great location but dont think quite up to 4star standard”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Recently stayed in the Kilkenny Ormonde hotel with my husband & daughter who is just under 3yrs - stayed for 3 nights
The staff were all very friendly & we got checked in quickly - parking in the multi storey across the street which was free of charge,,, Room was good size (double & single bed) fridge in room was useless when we turned it on it stayed warm & in fact the running of it heated the room more,, NO AIR CON which we were very surpised at for a 4star hotel. Food was lovely. The Kids club is GREAT, it was our first time using one & have to say the ladies have set a very high bar for any furture clubs we may use , they had arts & crafts, DVDs & Bouncy castle what more could a child wish for.
Location is great & staff gave some great suggestions for places to visit etc.

I used the spa attached to the hotel for a hot stone massage & facial (hot stone massage did not for some reason include actual hot stones but hand temperture stones) Facial was lovely. The room in which got changed into robe had NO working lights & when went to say to girl at reception no one was there so just picked up one of the candles from the hall way & used that so could get changed. Stayed in the hotel for 3 nights & was only able to get booking in the spa on the morning we checked out (which I actually had booked the week before staying in the hotel) Very difficult to even get through to speak to anyone in the spa section Really dont think would use the spa again if ever stayed in the hotel again : (

Goods points:- location - Great kids club - lovely food - friendly & helpful staff

Bad points :- Not really enough staff to go around - NO AIR CON - Spa not up to scratch - No section in the pool which was suitable for non swimming child as all sections too deep

Not really a 4 star standard but 3 star :(

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2010

Dear mummy-to-a-princess,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our hotel on tripadvisor.com.

Firstly, starting with the good points, I'm delighted that your children enjoyed our Kids Club. We recently introduced a new Failte Ireland driven customer care programme in the Ormonde, and I'm pleased that your experience was positive in that regard.

I was, however, disappointed to hear of your experience in the Spa and I assure you that I have spoken about your comments with the team. The reason for the lights being out was, unfortunately, outside of our control and this issue has since been resolved.

I hope that the positive aspects of your stay with us outweighed the negative and that you will return again in the near future as I would be delighted to extend you every courtesy.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed in the Ormonde for two nights. Check in was very quick, staff were pleasent to deal with. We were given a smoking room as there were no non-smoking available. Arriving in the room we went to turn on the tv and discovered there was no remote. Just as we went to ring reception we found the quilt cover at the bottom of one of the beds had what looked like blothces of dried egg on it. not nice! So we had both quilts taken away just in case. That was grand until we noticed where the quilt had been covering the bottom of the bed we found a few cornflakes at the leg of the bed !!!! Had the room been cleaned at all ?!!! It's very disappointing when you come away for a weekend break and your room is unclean.
The bathroom was very small, bath was tiny. The toilet felt it might come off the wall when you used it. didnt seem secure in the wall at all !!! My girlffirned went to book some spa treatments for the saturday and found they were booked out, same story for the sunday. another disappointing aspect.
Besides all of this the location is great, just a short walk from the town centre, the staff seemed friendly and its a quiet hotel. i probably would recommend it to friends because of its location and it seems like a nice hotel its just that we got very unlucky with the room we were given.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Bumblewasp78,

I was very upset to read your recent review of our hotel. Firstly, may I apologise profusely to you for the disappointment caused.

I have spoken in lenght with my team here regarding your comments. There really is no excuse for such a poor standard of housekeeping and I cannot offer you any excuses if we failed at what I believe we do best.

Because we are the only hotel with full Spa facilities in Kilkenny City Centre, it does mean that we are very busy and cant always guarantee availability.

I hope that you could see fit to return as I would be delighted to have the opportunity to make up to you for any inconvenience caused. Please conatct me personally if you are so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Stayed here overnight for a wedding which was taking place in another hotel. The location is excellent and only footsteps from the heart of every thing in Kilkenny. The hotel itself is nice – basic room but clean and well kept. The restaurant of the hotel is actually an adjoining steakhouse. The food was fine but nothing particularly fancy ~ it is what it is i.e. a choice of tortillas etc for starters and burgers/steak for main and as I say, this was fine and decent as long as you aren’t expecting anything too plush. The room was quite even though it is in the centre and we were kept well stocked up on tea/coffe and showers gels/shampoo’s etc. which was good!! Leisure centre is located directly across the road from main entrance. For the location and price, this was reasonable value.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear IreAnon_27,

Thank you for posting the review of your recent stay in our Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here in the Ormonde and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2010

We stayed in the Ormonde for two nights midweek, on the first night we decided to go out but the hotel bar was closed and we were not told this on checking in. Our main reason for choosing this hotel was the leisure facilities but the jucazzi was out of order for the duration of our stay and the pool was cold. The room was just o.k. very dark, the bath was very small and the showerhead was blocked up there was also a bad smell in the hall. We had checked in early hoping to get a good room. The breakfast was nice but not much of a selection. Overall I have stayed in better 3* hotels but the hotel has a great central location. Reception staff were very nice.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Just back from a 3 night stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde.

Check in was very quick and hassle free. Our room (201) was spacious with a double and single bed, howeve it wasn't the cleanest room. We found hairs all over the bathroom, and a huge amount of dust under the corner of the double bed. I took a picture of it on the first day, and it still had not been hoovered by the time of check out. Also the table leg in the room was dusty. Our one year old had great fun trying to clean it with her baby wipes.

Breakfast was taken in the Savour restaurant every morning and was self service. A good selection of everything, and the food was kept piping hot.

We had dinner at Savour on the Wednesday evening and it was also great. Tasty food and good service from the staff.

We had hoped to dine in their second restaurant, O'Reillys steak house, on Thursday night, but when we went down at 6.30pm we found it was closed for the night, so went out to Langtons instead.

Leisure centre is nice. Staff friendly and helpful.

Would return because of its central location, but they certainly need to improve on housekeeping.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Dear Alanwexford,

Thanks for posting the review of your stay on Tripadvisor.com.

I was disappointed to read of the housekeeping issues you encountered and I apologise profusely to you and your family for any upset caused. I have passed your comments on to my accommodation team.

I'm glad you enjoyed the food in Savour and our location really is second to none in Kilkenny.

Please give me a call personally if you wish to return as I would love the opportunity to extend you every courtesy.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

I attended my friends wedding in the Ormonde during the week, this is the second wedding in the last few years that I have attended in the Ormonde and I must say the difference in service and ambiance between both experiences was huge! The hotel has had a change in General Manager since our last wedding and it shows! This time around the attention we received from the staff and the new manager Colin was second to none! we didn't have to ask for anything as it was already done, we were greeted very warmly by Colin and the wedding co-ordinator and duty manager at the doors and given champers etc. we were all made to feel so welcome and genuinly welcome! I was amazed at how much of a difference the little touches made to the whole experience, on the last occasion there was little or no interaction with any management other than the wedding co-ordinator, this time round everyone from the General manager to the barmen were bending over backwards to ensure we were all looked after to the highest standard! Everyone was commenting on it and the bride and groom even mentioned how they had made friends with most of the staff they were dealing with!
I was expecting a 'wedding reception' but experienced something much more!
the hotel was very well presented and our room was fantastic. The reception staff were lovely and nothing was a problem, they have had a lovely job done to the ball room etc and it was the perfect setting for the wedding. The wedding food was fab and hot, service was very quick and efficient, the waiting staff are obviously very well trained and were very friendly they didn't seem to be under pressure and made it feel like they had plenty of time to give individual attention even tho there was more than 170 sitting for the wedding!
The change in management has obviously had a big impact in the moral of the staff and standards are much higher than they were!
We even requested our breakfeast to be delivered early to the room as my husband had to leave early for work and it was delivered before the official start time as requested, it was delivered by marlon was so friendly and always smiling!
Thanks Colin and all the staff in the hotel, the day was flawless!

• Stayed: July 2010
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2010

Dear Heidi1978,

Thank you for posting your review of your friends wedding on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ormonde Hotel in the future,

Kind Regards,

KIlkenny Ormonde Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2010

I stayed here the other weekend with friends for a stag weekend. We found the location to be ideal as we were only a short stroll from the main street and all the bars etc.

The hotel is a little dated as has been mentioned before but it is very clean. The lobby area is nicely laid out with plenty of sofas and decent floor service.

There is no air-conditioning in the bedrooms which could be a problem in the hot days- how many of those do we have in Ireland though??- but the beds are very comfortable. The bathroom was clean too although again it could do with a revamp.

Breakfast is busy and the room is not huge but the staff seat you and they are very efficient at clearing tables etc. I thought the breakfast was great- plenty of hot food as well as toast, tea, cereals etc.

I didnt use the Spa and Leisure center but my friends took a swim and liked the look of everything

I would recommend this hotel for families and groups. There did seem to be a lot of both staying in the hotel when I was there.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Gazzerooni,

Thanks for your review on Tripadvisor of your recent visit to the Ormonde and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location really is super and is perfect for families, groups and couple to enjoy all Kilkenny has to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.